George Waddingham, Boat Builder - Lincolnshire Poll Book 1852.
Messrs. Routh & Waddingham, Boat Builder .
April 1881 – ‘The Keel ‘Mary’ was recovered from the Humber last week, and brought into Messrs. Routh & Waddingham’s Dry Dock for repairs.’
June 1882 – ‘Messrs Routh & Waddingham’s Yard here, now presents a busy aspect; three new vessels are being built, one of considerable size. The dry dock too is rarely empty. Although trade has so nearly died out at many places on the river, it is steadily progressing at this place.’
July 1883 - 'Aimwell' Wooden Schooner/Ketch, official No.88136, 130 tons, christened by Miss Lily Barraclough, built for Messrs. R. and J. Barraclough, Barton on Humber. 1910 /15 registered Lynn for James Fison and Sons, Thetford.
1900 - Lighter, 160 tons registered in Hull, and a brisk year in repairs and the fact that they have had to refuse orders.
1907 they had a good year in building wooden ships.
16th April 1912 whilst the 'Pursuit' Schooner, was anchored off Victoria Dock entrance awaiting tug assistance, bound for New Holland from London with 155 tons of manure. The flood tide and S.E. wind carried the steamer 'Cattaro' just launched, up the river before her tugs could get hold of her, and she collided with the 'Pursuit'. One of 'Cattaro's' tugs towed her and moored her at New Holland where she was pumped dry and the cargo discharged. 1913 repaired at Routh & Waddington, Winteringham. (Thanks John)
December 1918 - 'Tiderace' Wooden Admiralty Drifter, auxiliary minesweeper, Admiralty No. 4187 cancelled December 1918 may have been completed for commercial use.
June 1920 - 'Swell' Wooden Admiralty Drifter, auxiliary minesweeper, official No. 146868, Admiralty No. 4187, 86 x 20 x 10 ft, 39 tons, 28 h.p. August 1922 sold to Grimsby Seine Fishing Co. Ltd. Wharncliffe Road, Fish Docks, Grimsby and renamed 'Silverlight' (GY138) 1940 for Harry Franklin, Ltd. Cross Street, Fish Docks, Grimsby.
Ships built at Winteringham
1810 - 'Exertion' Schooner, official No.13885, 50 tons for Robert Rose, Winteringham. 1870 registered Sunderland, for William Graham, Bishopwearmouth.
August 1821 - to be sold by auction by Kirkus & Backhouse, the new built sloop 'Hope' 53 feet at keel, is 6 feet 2 inch high, 14 feet 2 inch beam, 40 feet 5 inch hold and stows 400 quarters of oats. She was built at Winteringham and launched February last.
1836 'Industry' Sloop, 47 tons, official No. 4961, for S. Blackburn, Wyton Dock; John Fitch, Staddlethorp; J. Kitson, Knottingley. January 1862 sunk in collision at West Swin from Hull with timber, 3 crew, owner David Horsley.
1838 'Friends' Schooner 61 tons, official No. 213, for William Waddingham, Winteringham; Robert Lawty, Hull. 1867 for Robert Rose, Winteringham.
1840 'Mary Catherine' Ketch, 52 tons, registered Goole, official No. 112, for Matthew Towning, Knottingley. 1870/90 registered Boston for John Hayes, Spalding. 1900 Registered Hull for John Deheer, 187 High Street, Hull. 1905 Register closed..
1842 'William & Lucy' Sloop 53 tons, registered Hull then Lynn from 1870, official No. 23212, for John Shaw, Floxfleet; Thomas and William Hebblewhite, New Village. 1870 William Hebblewhite, Newport.
1877 'Charles Oscar' Registered Grimsby, Dandy 74 tons, official No. 79070, owned by Charles T. Crowther, Grimsby. Lost on Horn Reef 8th May 1884, inquiry held Hull 9th June 1884, before Judge Twiss.
May 1879 'Nord Lyset' (Northern Lights) Trawler, 81 x 20 ft, 78 tons, owned by Mr. Hans Mohr, Thorshaven, Denmark. Launched by Mr. Westcott, Grimsby before a crowd of 400 to 500 spectators. .
1882 'Coronilla' Registered Grimsby, Dandy 73 tons, official No. 86437, for James Plastow, Grimsby 1890.
July 1883 'Aimwell' Wooden Schooner rigged vessel registered Hull 72 tons, official No. 88136, for John Barraclough, Barton 1890. Launched by Miss Lily Barraclough and witnessed by a large number of people.
1899 Wooden built Lighter registered Hull 160 tons.
1900 Lighter registered Hull 160 tons.
20th October 1919 – ‘The Goole trading steamer ‘Clara’, which arrived at Goole from Antwerp, reported the loss of another Goole-bound vessel, the ketch ‘Aimwell’ belonging to Kingswell, and bound from Newcastle with a cargo of sulphur ore. The ‘Aimwell’ was sighted on Friday derelict and, although a search was made within a radius of several miles, no trace of the crew was found. The ‘Aimwell' was leaking badly, and sank suddenly when being towed by the ‘Clara’.’( Thank you John.)
1884 'Nemo' Registered Hull Keel 49 tons, official No. 91391, for Robert Dannatt, Barrow Haven 1890. 1900 for Frederick Smith, Barton on Humber.
Other ships trading with Winteringham
November 1863 - A keel belonging to John Fussey, East Halton, was wrecked on Whitton Sands but Thomas Burkill and others from Winteringham rendered assistance and succeeded in getting the vessel safe into Winteringham Haven with the loss of several stores and about 15 tons of coal, she was freighted for Mr. Charles Wells, Hull.
'Henry' Keel Captain W. Burkill, owner Mr. Henry Burkill , Winteringham.
'Caroline' Keel 70 tons, For the Corn trade, Captain Isaac Burkill based Winteringham 1871.
'Charles' registered Grimsby, Official No. 562 for Stephen Lawty, Winteringham.
'Constantia', registered Hull, Official No. 6786 for Robert Rose, Winteringham.
Ships owned at Winteringham
Built Hull 1850 - 'Friends' official No. 213, 61 tons, 1867 for Robert Rose, Winteringham.
Built at Masbrough 1852 - 'Hopewell' Sloop, official No. 15190, registered Hull, 37 tons, for Henry Burkill, Winteringham. 1880 for Robert Burkill, 208 Victoria Street, Grimsby. 1890 for Matthew Beacock, Winteringham. 1900/30 for Thomas Barley, Whitton.
1855 built Hull - 'Robert Keddey' Schooner, 88 x 20 x 10 ft, 102 tons, for T. Colgan, Hull, official No.5467, registered Hull, Captain J. Clark for the Hull coastal trade. 1870/79 for John Lord, Winteringham.
Ships Owners at Winteringham
1861 John Lord 40 years of age, was described as an Accountant and living with his wife Mary, next house to John Waddingham, Mariner. 23rd October 1878 property to be sold at auction at the Bay Horse Inn, Winteringham, Lot 9. All that excellent dwelling house, with out-houses, stables, productive gardens and greenhouse, situate in Silver Street, in the occupation of Mr. John Lord. 1881 he was living in Silver Street as a Corn Seed Merchant. He died 23rd March 1883.
1837 built Burton Stather - 'Fanny' Sloop, official No.686, registered Hull, 32 tons, 1865/72 for John Lord, Winteringham.
The 'Caroline & Elizabeth', Sloop built May 1842 at Wakefield, Official No.18607, 40 tons, 1865/70 for Joseph Watson, Brotherton. 1872 for Thomas Watson, Brotherton, owned in 1880 by John Lord, Winteringham, 1890 owned by Jas. David Battersby, Blackfriars Gate, Hull .
1846 built Barmby - 'Sarah' Sloop, official No.53295, registered Hull, 37 tons, 1872 for John Lord, Winteringham.
August 1855 built Hull - 'Robert Keddey' Schooner, 88 x 20 x 10 ft, 102 tons, 1865 for T. Colgan, Hull, official No.5467, registered Hull, Captain J. Clark for the Hull coastal trade. 1870/79 for John Lord, Winteringham.
1857 built Mexborough - 'Elk' Sloop 58 tons, official No. 19156, registered Hull for John Lord, Winteringham.
January 1857 built New Holland - 'Fairy' Schooner, official No.18155, registered Hull, 73 tons, 1865/72 for John Lord, Winteringham.