Shipping at Wakefield
John Collinson born 1760, a sloop and boat builder, married to Susannah Lake and children, Sarah, Abraham, John, Mary, William, Ann, James and Thomas.
The business survivied under the ownership of his son, Thomas Collinson born 16th May 1807, in the 1841 census he was resident in Bridge Street and living with Betsey (Elizabeth Cordingley), Sarah, John and James.
The 'Union', Schooner rigged vessel built May 1840 at the dockyard of Thomas Collinson, for Thomas Chappell, owner and Captain for the coasting trade.
James Craven began a boat-building business in Wakefield in 1825. James Craven born 1785 lived at Bridge House, married Maria and had children, Betsy, Ann Jane, Clara. Martha and Frederick, continued in business with ship -yards near to Wakefield Mill and at Fall Ing cut until 1856 when he sold out to Robert Stead.
The 'James', Schooner built 1839, 190 tons for the coasting and foreign trade.
The 'Mary & Elizabeth', Sloop built February 1839, for Mr. G.W. Harrison of Wakefield, Corn Factor. A party was held at the 'Haunch of Venison', Kirkgate, in honor of the event
1841 - 'Friendship' Sloop, Official No. 4725, 59 x 13 x 7 ft, 54 tons, registered Goole, 1865 for Joshua Wilby, Methly. 1870/72 for John Collins, Wisbeach. 1875 for George Herring, Wisbeach.
The 'William', Coasting Sloop built October 1843, built for Messrs Pickard & Saville of Wakefield.(John Pickard, Park Lodge, Wakefield.) 1870 for William Cawthorne, London. 1880 for John R. Jones, Horseferry Wharf, Westminster. 1890 for Thomas Dunn, 14 Austin Terrace, Merrick Street, Hull.
1848 - 'Two H. H.' Sloop, Official No. 184, 59 x 16 x 7 ft, 62 tons, registered Goole for Mrs Harriet Depledge, Pontefract. (1870)
Robert Stead born 1805, married Isabella Smith and had children Hannah, George, Mary Ann, Joseph, Mary Ann, Mary Jane, Emma, Robert, Joe,, Benjamin and John.
In 1875 he went on to marry Charlotte Burnhill and had children Percy, Ada Amy and Tom
George Stead Boat Builder of Calder Street, born 1832, married Elizabeth and had children Robert James, Emma, Mary Ann, George and Thomas.
The 'Ann & Maria', Sloop built 1848, Official No.24731, 42 tons owned in 1880 by Benjamin Pollard, Knottingley.,
The 'Friendship', Sloop built 1850, Official No.14421, 35 tons owned in 1880 by John Ridgeway, Wisbeach., Martha L. Robinson, Hull (1890)
1859 'Jehovah Jireh' Schooner (Official No. 27143) 59 tons. 1880 registered Goole and owned by William Cass, Lincoln. 1881 commanded by William Henry Aspinall, John William Fenton, Mate. Rebuilt 1885. 1890 for Edward Willmott, 16 Sotheron Street, Goole. 1900 for Israel Jackson, Dock Side, Goole. See also Goole, Israel Jackson.
The 'R.H. Pearson', Sloop built 1861, registered Hull, Official No. 43800, 36 tons owned by Abraham Beaumont, Reedness.(1870).
Built Wakefield 1865 - 'Abeona' Schooner, official No. 54501, registered Goole, 71 x 18 x 9 ft, 74 tons, 1867 Captain Hastings. 1870 owned by William Turgoose, Goole. December 1875 From Goole to London, Captain Sherwood had to be assisted into Lowestoft harbour by a tug and boatmen, with loss of bowsprit, both anchor chains. 1880/1900 for Charles Shearwood, Goole. March 1896 During gales the ketch Abeona of Goole was spotted in distress about three miles off the Spurn Lightship by the Pilot Cutter 'W. A. Massey'. Captain Eccles had lost the head sails and was afraid of being driven on a lee shore. She was towed onto Grimsby Roads. 1910 for William Caisley, Howden Dyke.
May 1868 'Village Flowers' Ketch (Official No. 58726) 55 tons. Registered Goole and in 1880 owned by John Wilby, Bottom Boat.(1890 David F. Johnson, Goole.)
May 1822 - To Boat Builders. To be let, a commodious yard, at Agbrigg, near Wakefield, well situated for carrying on the above business in an extensive way, being replete with every convenience. The yard joins upon the Barnsley Canal, and is but a short distance from the river Calder. Apply to Mr. Joseph Hemingway, Heath near Wakefield.
Another boat-building concern from which documents survive was that of Edward and Samuel Womack, founded at Agbrigg in 1838.
Edward was born 2nd March 1795 in Agbrigg. In the 1851 census he is described as aged 54 years and a Master Carpenter employing other workers. He was married to Harriet Hesslegrave and had children, Anne, Sarah Ann, Martha, George, Thomas, and John.
Samuel was born 30th December 1796 in Warmfield. In the 1851 census he is described as aged 54 years and a Master Carpenter employing other workers. He was married to Hannah Milnthorpe and had children, Ann, Helen, Marcus, Mary, Rachel, Ruth, Sarah, Young and Wynn.
In 1861, 1871 and 1881 they were together with their daughter Ann . Samuel died 13th January 1883.
The Mr N. Turner, of Bottomboat, Near Wakefield.
The 'Pride', Keel equal to 105 tons burthen, built in 1880 at a cost of £500.
June 1884 'The Mystery' Keel launched from the Old Bridge Dockyard of William Riley of Leeds & Wakefield.The keel 80 x 16 x 8 ft, 170 tons was built for Messrs Locke & Co, Colliery Proprietors, Kippax and Wakefield, and in the charge of Captain Spence.
November 1891 - A limited company, known as William Heslop & Co.Ltd, was formed with a registered capital of £40,000, for working the patent of seamless boat construction, and with Colonel Mackie, of Wakefield as chairman of the directors.The works at Calder Vale, Wakefield, formerly known as Whitham's Forge.The first boat constructed was the 'City of Wakefield', Steel, 15ft x 4ft, 3 tons and could be used as lifeboats on larger vessels.
April 1898 'Princess Helen', Steel Steam Launch to the order of Mr. William Tempest, of Ackworth Grange, to be used by his youngest son and others who are going to the Klondyke .
May 1929, Hyland (Ltd), Wood Street, Wakefield, for sale Motor Cruiser, 33ft, £750, Smart River Launch 23 ft, £295, Fast Runabout, 20ft, £175.
April 1839 - Vessels by Mr. William Pearson at the house of Mr. John Atack, the New Elephant Inn, Wakefield, on Friday April twelfth, 1839 at three o'clock in the afternoon. Three boats or vessels called the ' Brothers', six years old, six feet in height, the 'George' eight years old, five feet 10 inch in height, and the 'Four Brothers', ten years old, five feet ten inches in height, each having mast, sail, anchor, cable and covers and all materials for the Hull and Liverpool trade. N.B. The above vessels are in good repair, excellent lighters, capable of carrying fifty tons at four feet of water, and are well worthy the attention of persons in the trade. An inventory of all the materials belonging each vessel will be given at the time of sale - further particulars and to view the same, application may be made at the Navigation Warehouse, Wakefield, two days previous to the sale.
March 1842 - Thomas Collinson (34) was charged with having uttered a forged acceptance upon a bill of exchange purporting to be the acceptance of George Turner. Mr. Hall and Mr. Pashley were for the Prosecution. The prosecuter Mr. Abraham Windle, is a timber merchant, near Wortley, near Sheffield, the prisoner is a vessel builder at Wakefield and extensive dealings had taken place between them. The prisoner had been in habit of paying money into the bank of Messrs Hemington & Co. to Mr Windle's credit and having been pressed to reduce the balence in August, the prisoner paid in the bill in question, which purported to be the acceptance of George Turner of Wakefield, boat builder. The bill not being on a proper stamp was not placed to Mr. Windle's account until the month of November, when it was sent up to London for payment and returned dishonoured. The prisoner afterwards became a bankrupt and the commision was worked at Wakefield. Some inquiry was made respecting the acceptor and the prisoner said he believed that the George Turner, who had accepted the bill, had gone to sea and that the vessel had been lost - that he sailed from Spalding. It was proved that there was no George Turner of Spalding. He also stated that he had built a boat for this George Turner, which was constructed by the keeper of the falling lock, near Wakefield. The only George Turner residing in Wakefield was called and proved he had not accepted the bill in question. The Jury brought in a verdict of Guilty.
June 1851 - John Howarth, a waterman of Wakefield, was employed by George Goodair, a boat-master of the same place, to work a narrow boat to Stockport, with a cargo of grain, belonging to a Wakefield corn merchant. It is usual for the master to pay the dues and incidental expenses incurred on the passage. For this purpose, Howarth was furnished with £6. He took the boat out a short distance from the wharf and instead of proceeding with as much speed as possible, he left the boat, cargo and all, and betook himself to a convenient public house and began a spree, which continued as long as any of the £6 remained. When it was gone he went back to the boat, was sorry for his conduct and promised better. He was allowed to take the vessel under his management, with the stipulation that he should work the misappropriated money out, and not be allowed charge of the dues-money. The money was given to a young man on board. When they had gone a little further still, by some false pretences he got 30s from the young man and went off to spend it, as he had the £6. A warrant was taken out by Goodair and he was brought before the magistrates and remaned till next Monday.
June 1851 - Grand Teetotal Trip for two - days to Goole and down the Humber. The Committee of the Bradford Long Pledged Teetotal Association beg to announce that a special train will leave Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Leeds and under-mentioned stations for Goole and by Packet Boats down the Humber on Monday June 23rd 1851. Fares from Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, and stations to Horbury and back. 1st Class 4s 6d, 2nd Class 3s 6d, 3rd Class 2s 6d. Fares from Leeds and Wakefield 4s, 3s, 2s. Fare by the 'Eagle' and 'Calder' Steam Packets down the Humber and back 1s. Parties will thus have an opportunity of witnessing the various sights on the Humber and to make short trips by Packet to New Holland at half the usual charge, and also to Paul, Barton Etc. Persons staying at Goole may indulge in Trips on the river at 6d each. The Bradford Temperance Brass Band will accompany the trip and play in two parties on board the steamers.
January 1857 - On Tuesday, at the White Swan Inn, Kirkgate Wakefield, on the body of William Torr. Deceased aged 28 years was a waterman of South Hunsley. He was employed with his horse on the previous evening in hauling a boat up the river from Stanley Ferry, and on coming to the lock near Wakefield near Wakefield Low Mills disengaged the animal from the boat. Shortley afterwards he proceeded in search of the horse, which had strayed, the night being thick and foggy, and missing his way, he walked into the lock. His body was got out about three quarters of an hour afterwards. Verdict 'Accidentally drowned'.
October 1857 - An inquest was held on Monday before T. Taylor Esq. coroner, at Heywood Arms Inn, Stanley Ferry, on view of the body of a man, name unknown, who fell into the canal near the aqueduct that morning. the deceased, who was a waterman, was engaged on Sunday evening by Elijah Jones, the master of the keel called the 'Two Sisters', of Lincoln, to assist in getting the boat to Wakefield. About four o'clock on Monday morning he got on shore with the line, for the purpose of hauling the boat, and after proceeding a short distance he was heard to fall into the water. On being got out about five minutes afterwards life was extinct. Deceased was about twenty five years of age and was known to some watermen by the name of 'Tom'.
September 1860 - Mr Henry Thompson, boat builder, residing Castleford, brought an action against Mr Thomas Smith, also a boat owner to recover the sum of £10 11s 2d for damages in consequence of the plaintiff's neglect. It appeared that on the 18th July last, the plaintiff took is vessel, the 'Hannah', to Portobello, in order to load with coals, but there being several others there, he was compelled to take his turn, so after fastening the vessel he went home intending to return in one week. The defendant had also a boat there the 'Native' commanded by a man named Robert Olliver who, having to paint his vessel, loosened plaintiff's boat in order that he might stand upon it to paint his own vessel. After doing so he left the 'Hannah' in such an insecure state that the water running down a stream from some mills caused her to shift into a position where the water being shallow her bottom came into contact with a pile, which knocked a hole through her and caused her to sink. His Honour gave a verdict for the plaintiff for the full amount sought, with the attorney's and witnesses costs.
May 1888 - At Wakefield on Monday, Edward Newborn of Wakefield, summoned Goerge Robinson, boat Captain, Slaithwaite, for assault. Complainant alledged that on the 17th, whilst both were waiting with their boats at the locks, defendant came up and after using threatening language jumped on to the compainants boat and struck him several times. Robinson admitted the offence but said that Newborn had brought it on by persisting in passing him when he was beyond the 'distance stump' thereby putting him(defendant) in great danger of having his boat sunk. The Bench ordered Robinson to pay 16s costs.
April 1929 - An inquest is to be held on Mary Jane Johnson (59) a barge womwn, whose body was recovered from Barge Dock at Goole. The deceased who belonged to Wakefield fell off a flyboat on Thursday night and was drowned.
Vessels built at Wakefield (Unknown Builder).
1820 - 'Merchantman' for Benjamin Watson, Knottingley.
The 'Accomodation', Sloop built 1825, Official No.4963, 38 tons owned in 1880/90 by William Standering, Selby.
1826 'Robert & Sarah' Sloop (Official No. 7675) April 1842 registered Hull, 37 tons. 1865/87 for Robert Jackson, Hull. 1887 broken up.
1827 'Wellington' Sloop (Official No. 56221) 32 tons, built Agbrigg. 1880 owned by George Smith, Hull.
1829 built Wakefield - 'Hope' Sloop, official No.6622, registered Hull, 35 tons, 1880 for John Wade, 62 York Street, Sculcoates, Hull.
1829 built Wakefield - 'Mary' Sloop, official No.4744, registered Goole. 36 tons, 1868/72 registered Hull for Henry Batty, Hull.
1830 'Oak' Ketch (Official No.4972) 42 tons, registered Goole, 1865/90 owned by George Redman, Goole.
1831 'Jane', Sloop (Official No. 6472) 37 tons. 1880 registered Hull and 1865/80 owned by John Dannatt, Barrow, Lincs.
1831 'New Superior' Sloop (Official No. 15722) 43 tons. 1870/80 registered Boston, owned by William Snart, Spilsby Road, Boston. 1890 Robert Donninson, Sleaford Road, Boston. 1891 unseaworthy.
The 'Freedom', Sloop built 1834, Official No.12412, 35 tons owned in 1880 by J. Harrison, Boston.
1838 built Wakefield - 'Planet' Sloop, official No.4817, November 1847 John Drury, master of the sloop 'Planet' of and for Goole from London. 1849 registered Goole, 1864/1882 registered Wisbeach, 50 tons, 1865 for John Ridgway, Wisbeach. February 1867 Bound from Wisbeach for Shields with wheat put into Whitby.April 1867 Bound from Bridlington for Sunderland in ballast was run into at Flamborough by the schooner 'Rifleman' of Teignmouth and abandoned in a sinking state. The Master and crew got on board the schooner and transferred to the Humber Pilot Cutter No.7 and landed at Grimsby. September 1867 For sale in London and lying in Victoria Dock, Hull.January 1868 John Ridgeway, Master found a body floating in the ice near Tyne Ferry Company Boat Landing and informed the police, and attended the inquest at the Dead House.July 1868 the mate Edward Tennant, 22 years, from Brancaster, Norfolk, was drowned after visiting the Anchor Inn, Wisbeach. 1870 for Peter Ridgway, Wisbeach. April 1874 left Wisbeach for Caen with a cargo of pitch but was compelled to return with a split mailsail and loss of an anchor and 40 fathoms of chain.1880 for John Ridgway, Wisbeach. 1890 registered Lynn for David Abbey, Howden Dyke. 1900 registered Hull for Joseph Faulding, Leonard Street, Hull. 1910 Joseph Faulding, 22 Queen's Road, Hull.
1838 built Wakefield - 'Ann' Sloop, official No. 4781, 1847 registered Goole, 61 tons, 1865/7 for Elizabeth Watson, York. 1868 registered Grimsby, 54 tons, 1868/2 for William Ellis, Grimsby.
1839 'William & Susannah' Sloop (Official No. 4711) 34 tons. Registered Goole and in 1870/80 owned by John Backhouse, Coal Merchant, Howden Dyke.
October 1840 'William & Ellen' Sloop (Official No. 489) 42 tons. Registered Goole and in 1865 for John Butler, Garthrot's, Yorkshire. 1867/80 owned by J. R. Collinson, Hull.
1840 built Wakefield - 'Ben and Sarah' or 'Benjamin and Sarah' official No.4886, registered Goole, 42 tons, 1865/70 for Joseph Watson, Knottingley. May 1843 arrived Colchester from Goole, Captain Clegg. August 1865 arrived Shields from Goole. July 1867 arrived Grimsby from Goole, Captain Hunt. March 1870 from Goole to Ryde. February 1871 stranded Saltfleet, bound London from Goole, with coal, 3 crew all lost, owner Joseph Watson.
The 'Mary & Maria', Sloop built 1841, Official No.4737, 39 tons registered Wisbeach and owned in 1880 by Richard Lee Furley, Hull.
1841 'Sarah' Sloop (Official No. 5509), 56 tons for Joseph Carlile, Barton.1865/72 for John Banks, Howden.1875/80 for Joseph Carlisle, Barton on Humber.
1841 'Wakefield' Sloop (Official No. 4776) 42 tons. Registered Goole and in 1880 owned by John Joseph Smith, Durham.
1841 built Wakefield - 'Providence' Sloop, official No.4754, registered Goole, 41 tons, 1865 for Thomas Marshall, Knottingley. 1870/72 for Hildreat Marshall, Knottingley.
1841 built Wakefield - 'Mary Ann' Dandy, official No.144, November 1847 registered Goole, 48 tons, 1865 for James Hargrove, Brotherton. 1870 registered Lowestoft for Edward Taylor, Southwold, Suffolk. 1880 for Henry Harvey, Southwold.
The 'Concord', Sloop built 1842, Official No.559, 49 tons owned in 1880 by Francis Simpson, Friskney, Lincs.
The 'Caroline & Elizabeth', Sloop built May 1842, Official No.18607, registered Goole, 40 tons, 1865/70 for Joseph Watson, Brotherton. 1872 for Thomas Watson, Brotherton. owned in 1880 by John Lord, Winteringham, 1890 owned by James David Battersby, Blackfriars Gate, Hull .
1843 'John & Mary' Sloop (Official No. 18606) 42 tons. registered Goole 1865 for Miss Clara Maria Craven, Wakefield. 1870 for Thomas Burton, Brotherton. 1872 for Robert Stead, Wakefield.and in 1880 owned by John Traviss, Ferrybridge.
1843 'William' Sloop (Official No. 4847) 51 tons. Registered Goole and in 1880 owned by John R. Jones, London. (1890 Thomas Dunn, Hull.)
1843 'Thomas & Ann' Sloop (Official No. 4934) 42 tons, registered Goole,1867 for William Turgoose, Goole. 1870 registered Lynn for Thomas Renant, Thornham, Norfolk. 1880/90 registered Lynn and owned by Joseph Chapman, Grimsby, 1890. 1900 for Cornelious George Draper, 2 Grove Terrace, Courtney Street, Hull.
Built Wakefield 1843 - 'William & Susannah' Sloop, registered Goole, official No. 21831, 51 tons, 1870 for John Hargrave, Knottingley. 1875 for Robert Fell, Newcastle.
The 'Frances Ann', Sloop built 1844, Official No.600, December 1853 registered Goole, 42 tons owned in 1865/1880 by Whittel Brown, Knottingley. 1890/1900 for John Hodgson, Hull. 1910 for John W. Hodgson jnr, 1 Sunny Dene, Estcourt Street, Hull. 1915 for George W. Rowley, 39 Morrill Street, Hull.
December 1844 built Wakefield - 'Wedge' Sloop, official No.512, registered Goole, 43 tons, 1865 for Edgar Briffitt, Castleford. 1870 registered Lynn for Edward Atkinson, Knottingley. 1872 for Robert Isaac Winterbone, Brancaster, Norfolk.
The 'Anne', Sloop built 1845, Official No.11283, 44 tons, 1865 for Joseph Wilkinson, Knottingley. 1870 for William Turgoose, Goole. Owned in 1880/90 by John Gibson, Hull.
1845 built Wakefield - 'Bottle Imp' 'Botts Imp' Sloop, official No.4830, registered Goole, 58 tons, 1867/75 for Edgar Breffit, Castleford. 1876 for John Mann, Knottingley. 1879/85 for William Sutton, Goole. March 1889 Captain Davy, of Goole with a cargo of cliff stone from Hessle collided with the Steamer 'John Wells' of Goole and sunk. Efforts to raise the sloop have since been made.
The 'Major', Schooner built 1845, Official No.18840, 48 tons owned in 1880 by William Murray, Brotherton.
1846 'Three Anns' Sloop (Official No. 4877) 45 tons. registered Goole.1865/70 for William Hutchinson, Goole. 1880/90 owned by William Cawthorn, London.
1846 'Two Sarahs' Sloop (Official No. 5449) 46 tons. May 1849 Registered Goole, 1865/70 for Joseph Hepworth, Wakefield and in 1880 owned by John Wake, Brotherton.
1846 built Wakefield - 'Morpeth' Sloop, official No.4905, registered Gainsborough, 48 tons, 1865/76 for Henry Curtis, Gainsborough. March 1869 arrived Lynn from Keadby to Maidstone, Captain J. Harrison.
The 'Gem', Sloop built 1847, Official No.21804, 53 tons owned in 1880/90 by William Sutton, Goole.
1847 built Wakefield - 'Watson' Sloop, official No.4926, July 1852 registered Hull, 51 tons, 1865/70 registered Goole for James Watson, Goole. 1880 for Mrs. Sarah Watson, Goole. 1890 for William R. Smith, Lynn. January 1878 the billyboy 'Watson' of Goole, Captain Rhodes, with stone from London has been towed in dismasted by the billyboy 'Annie' of Grimsby, general cargo from London for Grimsby, during gale off Aldborough. April 1890 The Institution Lifeboat 'Ann, John and Mary' stationed at Skegness, was launched at 11.30 on Tuesday night and saved the crew of three men and the Master's wife (Captain W.S. Johnson) from the sloop which was sailling from Lynn to Goole. The vessel sank soon afterwards.
The 'Elizabeth', Registered Goole, Ketch built 1846, Official No.3045, 54 tons, 1865/70 for Thomas Watson, Brotherton, owned in 1880 by Mark Pearson, Pontefract. 1890 John Cardwell, Brotherton.
The 'Breeze', Sloop built 1848, Official No.121, 44 tons owned in 1880 by Samuel Wooden, Ipswich.1890 owned by Robert Freestone, Suffolk.
1848 built Wakefield - 'Samuel and Eliza' Sloop, 60 tons, November 1851 sunk due to a collision near Cromer whilst on a voyge from Goole to London, 5 crew, owner James Craven.
November 1848 built Wakefield - 'Two H. H.' Sloop, official No.184, registered Goole, 53 tons, 1865 for G. Depledge, Pontefract. February 1871 stranded Dunwich, 3 crew all lost, owner Mrs. Harriet Depledge, Horse Fair, Pontefract.
The 'Friends', Ketch built 1849, Official No.21523, registered Goole, 59 tons, 1865 for Joseph Jewitt, Wakefield. 1870 for Joseph Wetherall, Knottingley. Owned in 1880/90 by William Ford, 47 High Street, Hull..
The 'Bee', Schooner built 1849, Official No.6561, 59 tons owned in 1865/80 by James Burston, Primrose Hill, Knottingley.
The 'Admiral', Schooner built 1849, Official No.4896, 62 tons, 1865 for John Whitteron, Milby, owned in 1870 by William Patterson, London, in 1872/80 by James Scope Davidson, Blyth.
December 1849 built Wakefield - 'Rosebud' Schooner, official No.5400, registered Hull, 60 tons, 1865 for Joseph Arnold, Knottingley. February 1869 arrived the Tyne in ballast. 1870/80 for John Swan, Knottingley. February 1872 from Hartlepool to London has put back to Grimsby Roads. March 1874 arrived Gravesend from Goole. February 1883 whilst on a voyage from Sunderland for Montrose, driven ashore in St. Andrews Bay, crew rescued with great difficulty by the lifeboat.
1849 'Providence' Sloop registered Hull, 42 tons, official No. 11816, for Robert B. Armit, Hull. 1890.
The 'Dart', Sloop built Wakefield August 1850, Official No.166, 55 tons. 1865 for Thomas Boughton, Knottingley, owned in 1870/80 by Marmaduke Sarvant, Knottingley
April 1850 'Wonderful' Ketch (Official No. 742) 50 tons. Registered Goole, 1865 for William Winn, Castleford. 1870/72 for Thomas Winn, Castleford. December 1875 Captain Winn from Goole to London had to put into Grimsby with loss of bowsprit.1880 owned by William Heptinstall, Kippax.
The 'Crocus', Schooner built 1851, Official No.6303, 58 tons owned in 1880 by Seaton Colbridge, Goole.
The 'Margaret & Maria', Schooner built 1851, Official No.23042, 50 tons owned in 1880 by Thomas Butler, Boston.
1852 'Providence' Sloop (Official No. 4865) 41 tons. 1880 owned by Joseph Ellerby Hepworth, Wakefield.
1852 'Hope' Sloop (Official No. 12434) registered Goole, 1870 registered Wisbeach, 1880 registered Hull, 38 tons. 1865/70 for Joseph Hepworth, Wakefield. 1880 for Thomas Walker, 180 High Street, Hull. 1890 owned by Henry Burkill, Winteringham.
1852 built Wakefield - 'Marco Polo' Schooner, official No.10044, registered Goole, 61 tons, 1865/75 for Thomas Parkins, Ferrybridge.
May 1852 built Wakefield - 'Rose' Sloop, official No.370, registered Yarmouth, 49 tons, 1865/70 for William Diver Swan, Yarmouth. March 1871 foundered off Blakeney bound Gainsborough from Yarmouth with Flints, 3 crew, owned by Francis Isles.
May 1852 built Knottingley - 'Amelia Ann' or 'Amelia and Ann' Schooner/Ketch, official No.3460, registered Goole, 82 tons, 1865/70 for Joseph Crabtree, Knottingley. 1880 for Joshua Pollard Knottingley. 1890/1900 for Israel Jackson, Dock Side, Goole.
The 'Exchange', Sloop built 1853, Official No.4813, 52 tons owned in 1865/85 by George Fenton, Knottingley. Novmber 1875 under Captain Jackson, has been assisted into Harwich with loss of sails, leaky and other damages. She is insured in the Knottingley club.
The 'Alfred & Edwin', Sloop built Agbrigg 1853, Official No.23694, registered Goole, 35 tons owned in 1870 for William C. Lilford, Thorne. 1880 by William Sutton, Goole.1881 at Kings Lynn, John Finney boy. (1890 William Finney, Lynn)
August 1853 built Wakefield - 'Germ' Sloop, official No.4942, registered Goole, 44 tons, 1865 for Joseph Wilkinson, Knottingley. 1870 for Abraham Appleyard, Scarborough. 1872/76 for Robert Williams, Saltmarsh.
July 1853 built Wakefield - 'Petrel' Sloop, official No.200, registered Goole, 53 tons, 1865/72 for Richard Swan, Knottingley.
The 'Freedom', Sloop built 1854, Official No.17652, 43 tons owned in 1880 by Thomas Walker, Hull.
The 'Alert', Sloop built 1854, registered Hull, Official No.17652, 43 tons owned in 1890 by Ann E. Powell, Reedness.
1854 'Breeze' Ketch Registered Boston (Official No.621) 57 tons for John H. Vine Spalding
The 'Ann Turgoose', Schooner built 1855, Official No.4940, 73 x 18 x 10 ft, 97 tons owned in 1867 by Turgoose, Goole , Captain J. Greves. 1880 by Joseph Hodgson, Goole.
1855 'Patience,' Sloop (Official No. 4857) 53 tons. 1865 for James Craven, Wakefield. 1870 for Joseph England, Goole. 1875/80 owned by Frederick Dudding, Lynn. 1883/90 for Mrs. Jane Dudding, Lynn. 1881 at Kings Lynn, Joseph Gill Master, Joseph Gill jnr Mate, Richard Gill Seaman, Robert Gill boy. Mrs Jane Dudding 1890.
June 1856 built Wakefield - 'Peace' Schooner, official No.15182, registered Goole, 51 tons, 1865 for Joseph Wetherall, Knottingley. June 1867 sunk at Blackwall Reach after collision with the steamer 'Tyne'. 1870 registered Boston for Charles Botterill, 21 Grove Street, Boston. 1880 for Richard Walker, Boston. 1885 for Robert Keighley, Bath Gardens, Boston.
1856 'Peace' Sloop (Official No. 13372) 42 tons. 1880/90 owned by Robert Batty, Hull.
The 'Annie', Sloop built 1856, Official No.16662, 56 tons owned in 1880 by The Grimsby & London Trading Co. Ltd. 1890 by Robert Burkill, Weelsby.
1856 'Sarah' Ketch (Official No. 13370) registered Goole, 56 tons 1865/70 for W. Wake, Brotherton, 1872 for Robert/John Hayes, Spalding.1890 Robinson Duckering, Boston.) 1900 for Henry Sweeting, Ings Lane, Barton on Humber.
1857 'Secret' Sloop (Official No.18249) 42 tons. 1880 owned by George Nichols, Knottingley. (1890 Robert Batty, Hull.)
June 1857 built Wakefield - 'Tryall' or 'Try All' Schooner, official No.18253, 65 tons, 1865 for T. Hudson, Primrose Hill, Knottingley. 1870/80 for James Burston, Knottingley. January 1877 Captain Michael Dodgson of the schooner 'Try All' of Goole, 63 tons from London for Newcastle with scrap iron and gunpowder came ashore off Ingoldmells, Lincoln. January 1878 Captain Michael Dodgson of 'Try All' 64 tons bound for Hull from London with 100 tons of Linseed, whilst anchoring off Yarmouth the chain parted and with a large number of other vessels around got underway and encountered bad weather 7 miles from the Humber and taking on water put into Lowestoft.
1857 'Excelsior' Schooner (Official No. 21847) 56 tons. for Armitage, Goole, for the Goole coastal trade. Captain J. Bull 1860. Registered Woodbridge and in 1890 owned by William Smith, Goole.
The 'Mary', Ketch built 1858, Official No.20993, 60 tons registered Goole and owned in 1865/90 by William Johnson, Knottingley. 1900/7 for James Geadhill, King's Lynn.
The 'Alkanet', Ketch built 1858, Official No.25191, 54 tons owned in 1880 by John Finch, Essex.
October 1860 built Wakefield - 'Thought' Ketch, official No.28283, registered Lynn, 51 tons, February 1871 stranded Yarmouth with coal, 3 crew all lost, owner John Holegate, Lynn.
1861 'Sarah' Schooner (Official No. 29205), registered Goole, 60 tons for George Cutt, Knottingley.1865 for Joseph Hapell, Knottingley. 1870/75 for Sarah Hossell, Knottingley. 1880 for George Cutt, Knottingley. 1890 William H. Poole, Newcastle .
1862 'Try' Ketch (Official No. 44029) 63 x 18 x 9 ft, 60 tons. 1880 owned by John Depledge, Knottingley.(1890 William F. Depledge)
1863 'Ino' Schooner (Official No. 47113) 60 tons. Registered Goole, 1865 for John Rhodes, Knottingley. 1870/80 owned by Richard Hickman, Hull.
1864 'Tiger' Schooner (Official No. 50416) 65 tons. 1880 owned by Thomas Clegg, Goole. (1890 Charles Sherwood, Goole.)
1864 'Elizabeth' Ketch (Official No. 44770) 60 tons. Registered Lowestoft and in 1890 owned by James Hargrave, Suffolk.
1865 'Othniel' Sloop (Official No. 50420) 37 tons. 1880 registered Goole, owned by Caleb Kilner, Thornton Lees, George Kilner 1890.
The 'Abeona', Schooner built 1865, Official No.54501, 74 tons owned in 1880 by Charles Shearwood, Goole.
1866 'Lion', Schooner (Official No.54511) 74 tons registered Goole and owned by William Flowers, Knottingley (1880/90).
1866 'Robert Wood', Keel (Official No.56224) 50 tons owned by William Thompson, Hull (1880).
1867 'Try On' Ketch registered Goole (Official No. 58722) 60 x 18 x 9ft, 58 tons. 1880 owned by John Depledge, Knottingley. 1890 Israel Jackson, Goole. July 1896 The Schooner 'Try On' bound from Goole to London with stone has been towed into Great Yarmouth Leaky.
1876 'Day's' Ketch Registered Barrow (Official No. 28413) 78 tons. 1890 owned by James W. Richardson, Hull.
1848 built Horbury - 'George William' Sloop, official No.4844, registered Goole, 40 tons, 1865/80 for Henry Woffinden, Leeds.
1834 built Horbury Bridge - 'Friendship' Sloop, official No.12476, registered Hull, 41 tons, 1865/72 for Joseph Burkinshaw, Hull.
Thornhill Lees (Dewsbury).
1855 - 'North Sea' Keel, official No. 105077, registered Hull, 41 tons for Samual Lowery Wise, Melrose House, Holderness Road, Hull. Rebuilt 1894..
1825 built Agbrigg - 'Accomodation' Sloop, official No.4963, December 1844registered Goole, 38 tons, 1865/80 for William Standering, Selby.
1842 built Agbrigg - 'Concord' Sloop, official No.559, April 1855 registered Goole, 49 tons, 1865 for Whittet Brown, Knottingley. 1870/80 for Francis Simpson, Friskney, Lincs.
1843 built Agbrigg - 'Thomas and Ann' Sloop, official No.4934, registered Goole, 42 tons, 1865 for William Turgoose, Goole. 1870 registered Lynn for Thomas Renant, Thornham. 1880/90 for Joseph Chapman, Grimsby. 1900 for Cornelius George Draper, 2 Grove Terrace, Courtney Street, Hull.
1843 built Agbrigg - 'Accomodation' official No.23360, registered Hull, 43 tons, 1865 for Thomas Winter, 34 Wright Street Hull. 1870 registered Boston for Cornelius Emmerson, Boston. November 1872 for William Standering, Selby, stranded Gravelines bound for Boston from Calais with Barley, 3 crew.
May 1846 built Agbrigg - 'Industry' Sloop, official No.5629, registered Goole, 43 tons, 1865/70 for John Sykes, Brotherton. 1880 registered Hull for Joseph Rudge, Grove Terrace, Hull.
1852 built Agbrigg - 'Providence' Sloop, official No.4865, registered Goole, 41 tons, 1865/80 for Joseph Ellerby Hepworth, Russell Street, Wakefield.
1852 built Agbrigg - 'Providence' Sloop, official No.11816, registered Goole, 41 tons, 1865 for James Cawthorn, Knottingley. 1870 for Robert Eastwood, Knottingley. 1872 for James Dudding, Knottingley.
1852 built Agrigg - 'Three Brothers' Sloop, official No.4876, 1852 registered Goole, 41 tons, 1865/72 registered Hull for W. D. Hamilton, Barton on Humber. June 1860 Captain George Ward from London to Stockwith with bones, while being towed by a tug fell athwart hawse of a schooner, lost her rudder and bowsprit and became unmanageable. The Ipswich Lifeboat was launched and saved five lives saved. The Mate, William Barley was drowned. November 1861 arrived Hamburg, Captain Dryer. October 1868 arrived Goole from Barton. June 1871 arrived Berwick with oilcake, Captain Hutchinson.
1855 built Agbrigg - 'Mystery' official No.4918, registered Goole, 46 tons, 1865/79 for Thomas Wilburn, Stamford/Stainforth/Downham, Norfolk.
1857 built Agbrigg - 'Secret' Sloop/Ketch, official No.18249, registered Goole, 42 tons, for M. Wormald, Wakefield. 1870/2 for William Colbridge, Goole. 1880 for George Nichols, Knottingley. 1890 for Robert Batty, 53 York Street, Hull.
January 1878 Messrs. Lancaster and Son, are instructed by the Executors of the late Mr. J. O. Carr to sell by auction at Aggbrig Locks near Wakefield on Monday at 2 o'clock all those two capital Keels or coal barges; the 'Shah' 80 tons burthen, the 'Sheffield Blade' 70 tons burthen both now lying at Aggbrig Locks.
Stanley cum Wrenthorpe.
Cornelius Turner, boat builder.
1859 - 'Lissie' Sloop, official No.27144, registered Goole, 54 tons, 1870 for George Earnshaw, Knottingley. 1880/90 for George Jackson, Knottingley. 1900 for William Sayner, Knottingley. 1910 /20 for William Brown, Barton on Humber.
October 1860 built Stanley Ferry - 'Spray' Sloop, official No.28418, registered Goole, 36 tons, 1870 registered Hull for James Watts, Hull. September 1872 registered Rye abandoned North Sea bound Hartlepool from Rye with Timber, 3 crew, owned by Hoad Brothers (Lewis Hoad), Rye.
1861 - 'Eagle' Ketch, official No.29204, registered Goole, 46 tons for Morris Abbey, Kilpin Pike, Howden.
1863 - 'Spray' Ketch, official No.47141, registered Hull, 40 tons, for William B. Gell, Barton on Humber. 1915 for Mrs. Emily Barraclough, Canfield Villa, Barton on Humber.
1869 - 'Emancipator' Keel, official No.105062, registered Hull, 81 tons for William Hewson, Hull.
1870 built Stanley Ferry - 'Mary and Ann' Schooner, 56 tons, for Mr. Thomas Eastwood, Aire Street, Knottingley. Lost through collision with the steamship 'Sceptre' of London, near Middle Blyth Buoy on 25th April 1882.
1872 - 'Welcome Home' Ketch, official No. 62203, 1872 registered Wells for Henry Mussett, Brancaster. Registered Hull, 38 tons for William Burkill, 11 WellingtonTerrace, Wellington. 1915 for Alfred Scott, Brooklyn, Westbourne Avenue, Hull.
1882 - 'Mary Jane' Sloop, official No.93112, registered Hull, 46 tons, for William Nettleton, 166 Coltman Street, Hull.
1835 built Bottom Boat - 'Faith' Sloop, official No.15237, registered Goole, 36 tons, 1867/70 for Mark Rhodes, Knottingley. 1880 for William East, Louth.
1884 - 'Aimwell' Ketch, official No. 105096, registered Hull , 49 tons, for George Cook, Lilley Terrace, Thorne.
George Brown, Wool Road, boat builder.