His Waterside yard was offered for sale in 1799 to Thomas Steemson.
Went bankrupt when shipbuilding in Fishlake in 1788 but restarted at Thorne in 1799, he then sold the yard to Gilderdale, Pearson & Co before moving to Paul near Hull.
January 1807. Ship Yard. To let, for a term of years or sold at the option of the applicant, an extensive ship yard, situate at Thorne Quay, in the Parish of Thorne, in the County of York, adjoining upon the River Dun, with all the slips, boilers, sheds, blacksmiths shops, drying rooms and other erections, in and to the said ship yard belonging, and also a very capacious dry dock, lately made upon the said premises and which opens into the River Dun, sufficiently capacious to hold a ship of 400 tons burthen, and also an excellent new and modern built house, adjoining the said ship yard and which commands a perfect view over all the business transacting therein. There is also for the better accommodation of conveying timber from the Dun into the Yard and from the Yard into boats, in the River Dun, a strong well built new crane capable of supporting 10 tons weight for all purposes, for which the same is used, also an excellent garden with two acres of capital land adjoining the premises. The whole are now in the occupation of the owner Mr. Steemson, who having entered in contract with Government is necessitated to leave Thorne, and reside at Paul in compliance with and for the purpose of fulfilling the engagements he hath so made. For further particulars apply to Mr. Steemson, Paul, near Hull or to Mr. Benson, solicitor, Thorne.
See Humber for more details of Thomas Steemson.
History of Thorne.
“In the commencement of the century, the shipyard at Thorne Quay was doing a large business, and was then occupied by an enterprising gentleman, of the name of Steemson. He built a small frigate, named the ‘Kingston’ for Government; and afterwards removed to Paul, about the year 1805."
Pearson, Collinson and Co. Thorne
Pearson and Co.
Gilderdale, Pearson and Co.
Richard son of James Pearson, Keelman and shipbuilder, was born Fishlake 9th January 1754 died Thorne 1st November 1829. Richard Pearson started a shipbuilding business at Thorne Quay now called Waterside just on the edge of Thorne. His son William Hunt Pearson took over the shipbuilding business and moved to Hull.
November 1809, 'Arcade', 160 tons for Messrs Moxons.
December 1812 - A new complete and well built ship, copper fastened, burthen per register 371 tons, lying in the Humber Dock, Hull; this ship was built at Thorne, and is completely rigged and fitted with materials of the very best quality; is well adapted for the transport service, West India or Baltic Trade, or the greenland Fishery and will be found well worth the attention of any person who may be in want of a good and useful vessel of her dimensions.
May/June 1814 - For sale the hull of a new ship nearly ready for launching, 310 tons.
Richard Pearson started building sailing craft in 1811 starting with 'Fife', 'Alexander' in 1814 then went on to build paddle steamers. 'P.S. Kingston' (built 1821 picture at Ferens Art Gallery, Hull) and 'P.S. Yorkshireman' (26th March 1822). Built new ' 'S.P. John Bull'' 12th September 1836 , ''P.S. Prince Frederick'' (27th March 1823 - sunk off Yarmouth November 1835), 'Monarch' (19th March 1830 - refitted 1834), 'Transit' (23rd February 1831).
1812, Advertisement for new ship, 371 tons lying Humber Dock. Built at Thorne, on sale by Gilderdale, Pearson & Co. Thorne
June 1820, On Thursday night 8th inst. the 'London', a contract vessel, the property of Messrs Pearson and Co. Thorne, was run down in Yarmouth roads and sunk in deep water. Fortunately the crew was saved, the cargo consisted of groceries and spirits.
December 1821 - For sale a fine new ship, ready for launching at Thorne, 75 x 25 x 16 ft, 232 tons, sails of the best Hull Canvas.
1822, 'Yorkshireman', 200 tons 80 h.p. built by Pearson, Thorne, engines by Murray & Fenton, Leeds for the London to Hull run
March 1830, 'Monarch,'On Thursday last was launched from the yard of Messrs. Pearson & Co, Thorne, a beautiful steamer of larger class intended to ply between Hull and Hamburgh.'
February 1831, 'Transit Steam Ship,201 tons, 140 h.p. for Brownlow, registered Hull for the Hull to Antwerp trade, Captain R. Lancaster 1860.
1841, 'Fanny', Schooner, launched 30th November by Pearson & Co., Thorne. and advertisement 'Sailing from Stanton's Wharf, Tooley Street, London. every Wednesday and Saturday. Full or not full, and at the lowest current rate of freights. Fly boats despatched from Thorne with goods for Doncaster, Rotherham, Barnsley and Sheffield and places adjacent, immediately on ship's arrival, and from the Sheffield Canal Wharf, every Tuesday, Thurday and Saturday nights'.
Paddle Steamer 'Lion' picture in Hull Maritime Museum.
James Holland Healham
March 1875 - 'Trio' Keel, carries 180 tons, 87 x 7 x 7 ft, for Mr. A. Meek, Goole, christened by Master Herbert Denham Meek, son of the owner. Her first voyage will be to Whitwood Colliery for coal.
Built wooden vessels up to 80 tons for the local waterways until 1917 when it used iron construction and eventually closed in 1985. (In 1931 took over Henry Scarr Limited in Hessle to build larger vessels).
1885, 'Mary Ann', 110 tons, launched May at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, performed by Mary Ann Barraclough for Messrs W. & B. Barraclough, Barton
March 1886 - 'Radiant' Englih Oak Keel, 61 x 15 ft, 125 tons carrying capacity. Christened by Miss Snowden of Rochdale.
February 1887, ''Joseph & Ellen'', Keel for Mr Joseph Upsal, Boston for Boston trade.
February 1887, ''Toft Newton'', Keel, 58 x 15 ft, 90 tons for Mr W. Stamp, Boston.
July 1887 - 'Eagle' Sloop, 115 tons for Messrs Wood Brothers of Hull & Grimsby, christened by the daughter of Captain J. Ashmall.
June 1889 'Mizpah' English Oak Sloop (Official No. 95808) 48 tons. 57 x 15 x 7ft. Registered Hull, 1890 owned by Messrs John Turpin & Leonard Lillford, Louth.
August 1891, English Oak built Keel, 80 tons, launched by the eldest daughter of the owner Mr. William Chatterton, Corn Merchant, Brigg, at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, The vessel was constructed for the corn and cake trade. 56 x 14 x 6ft.
August 1893, English Oak built Keel, launched by the daughter of Mr. Edward Draper of Thorne, at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne. The vessel was on order for Captain Draper, Brigg 60 x 15 x 8ft.
October 1893, English Oak built Keel 'Citizen', launched by the Captain Mr. H. Baildham, at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne. The vessel was on order for W.J. Warrener, Lincoln 74 x 15 x 7ft.
September 1894, English Oak built Keel 'Eleanor', 57 x 15 x 7 ft, 100 tons. The vessel was on order for Mr. George Fish, Hull. For the Hull to Barnsley trade.
September 1898, English Oak built Keel 'Rising Hope', official No.116072, registered Hull, 61 x 16 x 7 ft, 45 tons. The vessel was on order for Mr. A. Leggott, Ferry on Trent. For the Hull & Trent trade. 1915 for William Stamp, Yucca House, Barton on Humber.
1898 - 'Anne Maud' Wooden Barge for Robinson Brothers, Millers, Rotherham. 1937 for Waddingtons, Swinton and engine added.
1900 - 'Mayday' Keel, official No. 113599, registered Hull, 59 tons for Thomas Hanley & Sons Ltd. Fisher Gate, Corn Mills, Doncaster.
January 1901, Keel 'Monte?', 57 x 15 x 8 ft, 110 tons. For general cargo.
April 1902, English Oak Keel 'Sequel', official No.116077 registered Hull, 61 x 15 x 8 ft, 59 tons. To the order of Edward Draper, Hull. For general carrying trade between Hull, Sheffield and the collieries. 1910/15 for Tom R. Nicholas, Glenuce, Avenue Road, Doncaster.
1904 - 'Alfred' Lighter, official No. 118808, registered Hull, 71 tons, for Charles Thompson, 48 Hedon Road, Hull. 1920 for Percy H. Dixon, 6 High Street, Hull. 1930/40 for John A. Scott Ltd. 11 High Street, Hull.
March 1907, 'Viola', English Oak Keel, to the order of Mr. Herbert Sutton, Thorne, for the Hull to Sheffield trade.
August 1907, 'Brittania', English Oak Keel, to the order of Mr. Bisby, for the Hull to Sheffield trade.
May 1909, English Oak Lighter , 71 x 18 x 9 ft, 220 tons. For Messrs John A Scott Ltd. Hull.
April 1914, 'Else', Oak Keel. Carrying capacity of 125 tons, For Messrs. Furley & Co. Ltd, Hull.(85th vessel built at Dunston)
October 1914, 'Endcliffe', Keel. 62 x 16 x 8 ft, For Messrs. J. Barraclough & Co. Ltd, Hull.(86th vessel built at Dunston)
August 1915. For sale, three second hand canal barges, suitable for converting into House Boats. For particulars and prices apply Richard Dunston, the Ship Yard, Thorne.
October 1919 – New Companies, Richard Dunston (Limited), shipbuilders, Thorne, near Doncaster. Capital £10,000. Directors; Mrs. K.S.A. Dunston and Mr. B. Dunston.
June 1921, The first of a number of lighters being built at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne for the Selby Wharehousing and Transport Co. Ltd. under the superintendence of Mr, Rowland Meek, Bowlalley Lane Hull. The vessel is 97 x 17 x 10ft. For trading between Selby and Hull.
July 1922, 'Wharncliffe', Steel Keel, official No.146498, 63 tons, 81 x 16ft launched at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Messrs W. Bleasdale & Co. Ltd, Colonial Chambers, Princes Dock Side, Hull, Goole & Sheffield, for the canal trade Hull to Sheffield.
November 1922, Sheffield-sized Steel Barge, 120 tons, 62 x 16 x 8 ft launched at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Messrs W. Bleasdale & Co. Ltd, Hull. This is the second vessel launched for this customer in the last two months.
1923, 'Endurance', Steel maintenance vessel for canal work, launched 19th March at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, performed by Mrs K.E. Dunston wife of the managing director.
16th March 1923, Wooden Lighter, constructed for trading on the Sheffield and S.Y. Navigation Company Canal between Sheffield and Keadby .
March 1924, Steel Keel, 125 tons for Sheffield trading, ordered by Hull owners.
May 1924, 'Elma', Steel Sloop, for Humber trading, launched by Miss Betty Barraclough.
August 1924, 'Leslie', Steel Keel, 62 x 16 x 8 ft, 135 tons for local owners.
August 1924, 'Emily', Steel Keel, 62 x 16 x 8 ft, 135 tons for local owners.
1926, 'Tony', Petrol carrying Vessel, for Stainsby & Lyon Ltd, Tar Distillers, Knottingley.
22nd May 1926, 'Salvage', Steel River Sloop, 72 x 16 x 8ft, for Mr Albert Leggott, Owston ferry.
February 1928, 'Dux', Steamer official No. 160097, 77 tons, used for general cargo on Humber & Trent, for Messrs. Furley & Co. Ltd. Hull.
1928, 'Elki', Steel Lighter 76 x 19 x 9ft, launched August at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Hull owners.
August 1928, 'Picui', Steel Lighter, official No. 160797, 76 x 19 x 9ft, 99 tons, launched at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for John A. Scott Ltd. 11 High Street, Hull.
October 1929, 'Jane', Steel Tank Barge, to carry petrol in bulk. Launched by Miss Janet Lyon.
February 1930 - Trial Trip April. A steam tug No. 167, specially designed and made to the order of Messrs Lambert Brothers Ltd. London. 61 x 14 x 7 ft. for service at Perim. Engines by Messrs Plenty & Son Ltd. Newbury.
April 1931, Teak Gig order from Crown Agents for the Colonies. Fully equipped for service in Iraq.
June 1931 the second of three 65 ft steam tugs for London and North Eastern Railway Co. ran trials in the river Humber, after which the vessel was handed over to the owners at Grimsby, at which port she will be stationed.
August 1931, Steel Harbour Lighter 75 x 20 x 10ft, the second launched this week for the same owners, launched at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne. For Hull owners. For heavy harbour duties.
October 1931, 'Gainsborough Trader' Motor Barge trials. For Hull owners Messrs Furley & Co. For Hull and Gainsborough trade.
January 1932, Steel Lighter 75 x 20 x 10ft, capable of carrying over 1,000 quarters of grain, launched at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Hull owners.
February 1932, Steel Lighter 75 x 20 x 10ft, capable of carrying over 1,000 quarters of grain, launched at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Hull owners. This is the fourth vessel built for the same owner.
1932, Three large grain carrying Lighters capable of carrying over 250 tons, launched broadside in December at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Messrs Joseph Rank Ltd.
March 1933, Steel Tank Barge, 90 x 19 x 7 ft, capable of carrying 135 tons of oil for London Owners.
April 1933. Messrs. Richard Dunston Ltd. have received orders to construct eight steel barges of the Regent Canal Type, all of British materials. They will be fitted with diesel machinery of 140 h.p. Six of the barges are for Messrs Charrington, Gardener and Locket Ltd. London. Another two 140 h.p.diesel barges for service on the Humber. The work will last approximately 15 working weeks and give employment to 150 men.
May 1933 - Diesel Barge, 62 x 15 x 5 ft, propelled by 50 h.p. Widdop engine for Leeds Corporation to transport coal from thw West Riding collieries to Leeds Electricity works.
September 1933. Messrs. Richard Dunston Ltd.have launched three steel barges, all of Regents Canal Type. These are completion of an order of six for London Owners, three of which were delivered to the Thames last week.
October 1933, Messrs. Richard Dunston Ltd. have received notification from the War Office of the acceptance of their tender for a single screw diesel-engined steel vessel, with dimensions of 85 x 18 x 7ft. The propelling machinery will consist of a 120h.p. 'Mirrlees' engine complete with all necessary auxiliaries. Ample living accomodation is to be provided for the crew, and the vessel will be electrically lighted throughout.
November 1933, 'Arc', Steel Motor Barge, 50 b.h.p. Widdop Diesel Engines, trials at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for Leeds Corporation Electricity Department.
February 1934, Richard Dunston Ltd. have launched from their shipyard at Thorne, Yorks, a steel sailing barge, having dimensions 62 x 16 x 8ft for Yorkshire Owners.
July 1934, 'Orders have been received at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, for the construction of a large single screw steam tug and eight river barges, to the order of London owners, for a diesel-engined tug, 70 foot long, for service on the Thames and for a steel light float fitted with special bell-ringing and light flashing devices for service off the east coast.
September 1934, 'Steam Tug No. 3', 60 x 15 x 9 ft, 180 i.h.p. Engines by Messrs. Plenty & Son Ltd. Newbury to the order of London & North Eastern Railway Co. for service in the new fish dock which is shortly to be opened at Grimsby.
September 1934, 'Steam Tug No. 4', 60 x 15 x 9 ft, 180 i.h.p. Engines by Messrs. Plenty & Son Ltd. Newbury to the order of London & North Eastern Railway Co. for service in the new fish dock which is shortly to be opened at Grimsby.
January 1935, 'The launch has taken place at Richard Dunston's Yard , Thorne, of three large steel barges, to the order of London owners. This completes an order for eight vessels for the same owner.
May 1936 – Richard Dunston (Coal) Ltd. has been registered at Shipyard Offices, Union Road, Thorne, to carry on the business of coal and coke merchants. The capital is £1,000 and the directors are R. Dunston and Mrs. K. E. Dunston, White Lodge, Thorne.
1937 - 'Vanoc' Steel Screw Tug, official No.165584, registered London, 66 x 18 x 7 ft, 53 h.p. for Vokins & Co. Ltd. London.
1937 - 'Temeritie' Steel Screw Motor Tug, official No.164998, registered Hull, 64 x 15 x 5 ft, 5 tons, 100 b.h.p. for the Medway Oil & Storage Co. Ltd. London. 1956 renamed 'Benbow' for Samuel Williams & Sons Ltd., London.
April 1937, L.N.E.R. Steam Twin Screw Tug, fitted with a Kort nozzle and capable of pulling three tons at nine knots. It is intended for service at Lowestoft Harbour.
May 1937, L.N.E.R. Tug Trials - built at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, it is expected that the new L.N.E.R. tug 'Ness Point' will be ready for trials in the Humber. It is intended for service at Lowestoft where it will handle fishing vessel craft.
May 1938, 'Sheaf', Steel Motor Barge, official No. 165709, 61 x 16 x 7ft, 44 tons, 21 h.p. second of seven boats, for Messrs Furnley Co. Ltd. Hull. For Hull to Sheffield Trade.
June 1938, A launch took place at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, of five motor barges designed and constructed to the order of Messrs Furnley Co. Ltd., the Hull firm of canal and river carriers. They will be in service between Hull and Sheffield. The barges will be fitted by the builders with diesel engines and will be completed at a rate of one a week. All five vessels were sent to the water in 35 minutes.
May 1939 - 'Bluebird' Steel Sailing Yacht, 50 ft long, for the Hon. R.A. Balfour, Sheffield.
May 1940 – ‘Steel Air Raid Shelter, bow shaped, 10 ft x 6ft x 5 ft high, steel covered approach at each end, inspectable – Richard Dunston, Ltd. Thorne Nr. Doncaster.’
1940 - 'Thomas H' Sheffield Class Barge, 63 x 16 ft, for Hodgsons Tannery, Beverley. November 1948 - 'Thomas H' resued 13 crew from the Steamer 'Colwith Force' of Whitehaven, with a cargo of 965 tons of coal, which grounded and overturned on the Ouse near Goole. For sale at Cookham, Berks for £175,000.
1940 - 'Vista', Motor Tug, official No.167613. 69 x 18 x 7 ft, 4200 b.h.p. for Vokins and Co Ltd., London, 1975 renamed General IX for Thames & General Lighterage Co Ltd., London.
May 1941 - 'Empire Bridge' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 166323.
May 1941 - 'Empire Willow' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 168773.
September 1941 - 'Empire Cedar ' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 168774.
November 1941 - 'Empire Plane' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 168777.
January 1942 - 'Empire Spruce' Steam Tug For Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 168780.
July 1942 - 'Empire Toby' Steam Tug for the Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 168787.
September 1942 - 'Ariel' Tug for Ministry of War Transport.
1943 - 'Pinklake' (Yard No. 377) Motor Tug, official No. 168410, 71 x 21 x 11 ft, 400 b.h.p. for River Lighterage Co. Ltd. London.
May 1943 - 'Empire Townsman' Motor Coaster for the Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 169088.
June 1943 - 'Empire Percy' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 169091.
July 1943 - 'Tid 36' (Yard No. T436) Tug, official No. 169310. for Great Western Railway Co. 1944 for the U.S.A. Army. 1946 renamed 'Respite' for Cory Literage Co. Ltd.for the Thames. 1955:for W.Fielding, Leeds.
August 1943 - 'Empire Runner' Motor Collier for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 169091.
August 1943 - 'Empire Skipper' Motor Coaster for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 169092.
November 1943 - 'Empire Andrew' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 169095.
1948 - 'Revenge' Motor Tug, official No. 182891, 70 x 18 x 7 ft, for Cory Lighterage Ltd. London.
Built 1948 - 'Lapwing C' Screw River Motor Tanker, official No. 181330, 110 x 16 x 7 ft, 74 tons,170 b.h.p. diesel engine by Ruston Hornsby Ltd. Lincoln, for Messrs James W. Cook & Co. London. 1956 lenghtened by 30 ft by J.H. Hepworth & Sons, Paull. February 1961 lost with the death of two crew members and one passenger on Whitton Sands, David Wilberforce Master.
1949 - 'Baroness' Motor Tug, official No.183174, 71 x 18 x 8 ft, 450 b.h.p. for Samuel Williams & Sons Ltd. London.
1952 - 'Swiftstone' Motor Tug, official No.184745, 80 x 20 x 10 ft, for Cory Lighterage Ltd. London.
1952 - 'Recruit' Motor Tug, official No.184630, 80 x 20 x 10 ft, 670 b.h.p. for Cory Tank Lighterage Ltd., London.
July 1953, A launch took place at Richard Dunston's Yard, Thorne, of all steel welded diesel powered coal barge designed and constructed to the order of Hargreaves Coal & Shipping Co. Ltd., of Hull. 40 h.p for the Castleford to Hull trade.
1953 built Richard Dunston, Thorne - 'Leicester Trader' Barge, official No.185149, registered Hull, 82 ft.
August 1954 broadside launch - 'Tulagi' Tug, 64 tons, 200 h.p. for the Ports & Inland Water Transport Branch of the Royal Engineers, Southampton. The second only mishap at launch in over 30 years and 900 launches.
Built by Richard Dunstan’s yard at Thorne in 1954 - 'Selby Ellen' Barge, Official No. 186670, she is fitted with a Lister 6 cylinder engine and had a cargo capacity of 250 tons. Owned by the British Oil and Cake Mills at Selby (B.O.C.M.) She was leased to Humber Barges Ltd, completely overhauled and put into service in 1999 carrying general cargoes such as fertiliser, and then into regular service carrying aggregates from Rampton to Leeds. October 2016 - A highly sought after secure residential mooring in central London, £800,000. fully converted in 2006 to provide 2 self contained flats – each with their own unique character. The aft flat has a raised bathroom, fitted galley, open plan living area with dining, seating, and cabin areas. The forward cabin has a raised bathroom, galley, and sleeping cabin, and lower level saloon & dining area, plus the original boatman’s cabin. Both have separate central heating and electrical & plumbing services. The 2 flats could be combined to make one living area. The purchase price includes the purchase of the mooring.
Further reading at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=197-dydun&cid=0#0
Whaley and Sons
"A number of brigs and schooners were continued to be built from the yard until a few years passed, when the age of the last proprietor, Mr. John Whaley, and the competition of iron with wood vessels, made it desirable to reduce the establishment, and only small craft are now turned out by the present occupier of the yard.”
September 1852 'Hero' Clipper Schooner commanded by Captain Leonard Eckles, She was built expressly for his trade between Davis's Wharf, London, and Goole, Thorne, Doncaster and Sheffield. Registered Goole (Official No. 4820) 78 tons. 1870/90 owned by William Collier, Marshfield, Goole.
June 1854 'Whaleys' Schooner, 105 tons, registered Goole, built Thorne, for John Whaley. She was built expressly for his trade between Black Lion Wharf, London, and Goole. official No. 4727, 91 tons. Captain Colridge 1860. For sale August 1868 by Captain J. M. Chester, Goole. 1880 for Thomas Wood, West Hartlepool. 'Whaleys' Schooner, Goole, off Gorleston July 13th 1878 for Middlesbrough.
John Stanilands - Ship Builder Thorne Quay.
1857 built Thorne - 'Staniland' Brig, 192 tons, for Staniland, registered Hull, Captain J. Lewis 1860.
1869 "Black Cat" Schooner (Official No. 58733) built for Turgoose & Co..Goole 98 tons 84 x 20 x 11. Captain C. Eckles (1870) (1880/90 owned by William C. Lilford, Thorne.)
February 1870 Sister ship to 'Black Cat' advertised for sale in the Goole & Marshland Times.
January 1914 'George William' keel grounded whilst being towed near Whitton Ness. Owned by G. Staniland, ship builder, Thorne
October 1931 - 'A 36 feet motor cruiser, built by Messrs. Staniland and Co., of Thorne, left their yard this morning under her own power for Goole via the Aire and Calder Canal. On arrival at Goole the vessel was craned out of the water to a special railway truck for conveyance to London, where she will be loaded on to a bogey built for the purpose and hauled by a team of horses to the Olympia Motor Boat show for exhibition.'
July 1932 'Hyland' 50 ft twin screw motor cruiser sailed from Messrs. Stanland & Co., Thorne for Maghul, near Liverpool via canal.
April 1934, Messrs. Staniland & Co, Thorne, near Doncaster have received orders for a 36ft T.S. Cruiser, with totally enclosed deckhouse; also a 46ft 6inch heavy oil engined cruiser, both for immediate delivery.
July 1841 "Alpha" Sloop (Official No. 14410) 39 tons. Owners at time of registration were Mark Aaron, Thorne, Master Mariner, Thomas Lawrence, Louth, Merchant, John Booth Sharpley, Louth, Merchant. For John Booth Sharpley, Louth. Master Mark Aaron 1861. Registered Grimsby and in 1867/90 owned by William Bell, Barton on Hmber. (Thanks Paul.)
1817, 'John Bull' 75 tons 15 h.p. built by Moody Thorne, engines by Butterly Co. for the Gainsborough to Hull run.
Boat Builders in Thorne Pigots Directory 1834
Ainley & Ward, Canal Side
Atkinson Thomas, Canal Side
Atkinson William, Canal Side
Pearson Richard & Co. Thorne Quay
Boat Builders in Thorne Whites Directory 1837
Atkinson Robert, Canal Side
Atkinson William, Canal Side
Pearson Richard & Co., Quay
Ward William, Spd
Boats built at Thorne - Unknown Builder.
May 1786 'Mary' Ship, 400 tons. Owned by Mr. Meggit, Hull.
November 1796 - The good clinker built Sloop called 'Friendship' 12 years old, built at Fishlake, George Alsop late master for sale by auction at Thorne.
November 1796 - The good clinker built Sloop called 'Providence' built at Thorne, two years old, George Tummon late master.
1803 built Thorne - 'Duncombe' Snow, 223 tons, for S. Mease, Shields for the Shields to London route. Captain J. Lawlaw 1860.
July 1812 - For sale at the West End of the Old Dock, Hull. The Brig 'Laurel' 129 tons, built at Thorne in 1800, has been on the Hull to London trade in excellent repair and abundantly found in stores, is well adapted for general purposes and may be sent to sea at a trifling expense.
1823 'Jane' Schooner (Official No. 22456) 94 tons. Registered Ipswich and in 1880 owned by Eustace Carey Prentice, Stowmarket.
1843 built Thorne - 'Ann' Schooner, 107 tons, for M. Clayton, Goole, Captain E. Frank 1860, for Goole to Antwerp route.
1849 'Laurel' Sloop (Official No. 24702) 39 tons. Registered Hull and in 1880 owned by R. Burkill, Grimsby.
1850 'Lily' Sloop (Official No. 301) 47 tons. Registered Goole and in 1870 for Thomas Clegg, Goole. 1880 owned by Christopher Harrison, Castleford. (1881 at Kings Lynn Christopher Harrison Master, John Thompson Harrison mate, John Tarbolton Boy. 1890 registered Hull for William Chapman, Killingholme.)
1850 'New Hope' Sloop (Official No. 4787) 37 tons. Registered Goole and in 1880 owned by Edwin Smith, Bridlington.
1852 'John & George' Sloop (Official No. 4868) 40 tons. 1880 owned by William Wood, Goole.
1852 built Thorne - 'Hero' Schooner, 90 tons, for J. Whaley, registered Goole for the Goole coastal trade. Captain Harlington 1860.
1853 'Brothers' Sloop (Official No. 248) 37 tons. Registered Goole and in 1880/90 owned by Thomas Aaron, Louth.
1855 'Mark & Elizabeth' Sloop (Official No. 4936) 42 tons. 1880 owned by Hannah Drury, Goole.1890 John Aaron, Old Goole.
1855 built Thorne - 'Henry' Schooner, 68 tons, for J. Whaley, registered Goole for the Goole coastal trade. Captain J. Chester 1860.
1859 'Adam' Sloop (Official No. 27986) 53 tons. Registered Goole and in 1880/90 owned by John Tate, Stainforth.
1868 'Veracity' Ketch (Official No. 56991) 56 tons. 1880/90 owned by Thomas Newton, Goole.
1871 'Elizabeth Kilner' Schooner (Official No. 65579) 88 tons. Registered London, May 1872 'Elizabeth Kilner' bound from Goole to Seville with coal. and in 1880 owned by Caleb Kilner, Dewsbury. 1890 for George Kilner. February 1892 The Schooner 'Elizabeth Kilner', of London has stranded three miles north of Southwold. The crew were saved by life-saving apparatus. The vessel will probably become a total wreck.
1875 built Thorne - 'Trio' Sloop, official No.98381, registered Goole, 98 tons, 1900 for John Meek, Glen Ville, Brough. 1910 for Mrs Mary V. Meek, Brantingham. 1915 for Abus Steamship Co. Ltd. Bank Chambers, Goole. 1920/30 for Frederick Hall, 46 Hedon Road, Hull.
1877 'Lord Nelson' Ketch (Official No. 77503) 85 tons. 1880 owned by John Batte, Hull.
1878 'Marley Hill' Sloop (Official No. 79044) 41 tons. 1880 owned by John West, Hull.
1878 'Alarm' Ketch (Official No. 79458) 79 tons. 1880 owned by William R. Leyman, Hull.
1879 'Conquest' Barge, registered Hull, 63 tons, official No. 88187, for Mrs. Ellen Cook, Hull.(1890) 1903 George Emmerson, Captain whilst lying at the Alexandra Dock, Hull had money stolen by the mate George Webb. 1910/30 for James Emmerson, North Street, West Butterwick.
1883 'Clara' Barge (Official No. 88170) 53 tons. 1890 owned by Thomas Barraclough, Barton.
1891 built Thorne - 'Rising Hope' Sloop, official No.109011, registered Boston, 32 tons, 1900 for Walter Keightley, Bath Gardens, Boston. 1910/20 for for Alfred H. Read, The Anchorage, Boston.
1892 built Thorne - 'Venture' Keel, official No.113650, registered Hull, 56 tons, for Tom R. Nicholas Glenluce, Avenue Road, Doncaster. 1920/40 for Tom W. Lawrence, Thorne.
1893 built Thorne - 'Two Sisters' Keel, official No.102912, registered Hull, 55 tons, 1900 for George Matchett, Thorne. 1910/20 for George W. Mitchell, Don House, Kilnhurst, nr. Rotherham.
1898 built Thorne - 'Mary No.11' official No.129289, registered Hull, 53 tons, for John Deheer Ltd. 18 High Street, Hull.
1900 built Thorne - 'Belle of the Trent' Keel, official No.110789, registered Hull, 66 tons, for Daniel May, Carlton on Trent.
1904 built Thorne - 'Rising Hope 3rd' Sloop, official No.118846, registered Boston, 49 tons, 1910 for Albert Leggott, Owston Ferry.
1905 built Thorne - 'Nogi' official No.121060, registered Hull, 75 tons, for Richard Carmichael, 27 St. Matthew's Street, Hull.
1905 built Thorne - 'Togo' official No.121045, registered Hull, 70 tons, for Robert Lancaster, 20 Batcheler Street, Hull.
1906 built Thorne - 'Zereda' Keel, official No.124757, registered Hull, 63 tons, for William Moxon jnr, 44a Holderness Road, Hull.
1909 built Thorne - 'Macaw' official No. 129210, registered Hull, 78 tons, 1910/30 for John A. Scott, 11 High Street, Hull.
1912 built Thorne - 'Judith' Keel, official No. 133403, registered Hull, 58 tons, for Furley & Co. Ltd. East Anglian Buildings, Princes Dock Street, Hull.
1914 built Thorne - 'St. Audrey' Keel, official No.136182, registered Hull, 61 tons, for Furley & Co. Ltd. East Anglian Buildings, Princes Dock Side, Hull.
Stainforth Boat Builders.
Atkinson Joseph & Thomas, Canal side.
Atkinson William, Canal side.
Pearson Richard & Co. Quay side.
Ward & Ainley, Canal side.
1862 - 'Star of Hope' Ketch, official No.29826, registered Lynn, 47 tons, for Thomas J. Belton, Amcotts.
1866 - 'Bee' Ketch, official No.54504, registered Goole, 64 tons for Thomas Woodall, Stainforth.
1888 built Stainforth - 'Immanuel' official No. 93146, registered Goole, 46 tons, 1890 for Charles Dishman, Stainforth. 1910/ 15 for James H. Earnshaw, 68 Marshfield Road, Goole. 1920 for George Wheldrake, Anchor Inn, Whitgift.
1894 built Stainforth - 'Reliance' Keel, official No.102960, registered Hull, for John H. Hall, 23 Poole Road, Darnall, Sheffield.
1902 built Stainforth - 'Ployer' Keel, official No.116140, registered Hull, 49 tons, for the Hull Keel & Lighter Co. Ltd. Hull.
1912 built Stainforth - 'Sylvia W.' Keel, official No.133391, registered Hull, 59 tons, for William Wilson, Holly Cottage, Stainforth. 1920/30 for Edwin Appleton, East Bank, Stainforth. 1940 for John F. Shackleton & Son Ltd. 5 Belgravia, Goole.
See Thorne under 'River Ouse' tab.