Advertisement in the Doncaster Gazzette 11 August 1815 - fitted up in a most elegant and superb manner for the convenience of both Ladies and Gentleman and is under the management of Captain William Paddley, who is a sober, steady and well experienced Man in the said Navigation and by whom every Care and Attention will be paid to his passengers
P.S. Humber by kind permission of J.Smith
In 1818 Pigot's Trade Directory listed Humber and Waterloo Steam Packets, daily from London Tavern, Queen Street, to Selby where the Blucher Coach waits its arrival, and conveys passengers to Leeds, Wakefield, and every part of the kingdom. The Albion Steam Packet, from London Tavern, Queen Street, to Gainsborough every other day, viz Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays. The Caledonian Steam Packet, from the London Tavern, Queen Street to Grimsby daily. The British Queen, from General Elliott Tavern, 87 High Street, to Gainsborough every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and returns every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The John Bull Steam Packet, from the Humber Tavern, Humber Street, to Thorn, every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, where the John Bull Coach waits its arrival, and conveys passengers to the Black Swan Inn, Doncaster, the same day. The Waterloo Steam Packet, from the Crown Inn, Wincolmlee, to Driffield, every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Trading vessels - 'Yorkshire', Captain R. Massam, 'Huddersfield', Captain J. Robertson, 'Kitty', Captain A. Hemingway, 'Planter', Captain George Banks, 'Rochdale', Captain William Forman, 'Nottingham', Captain Thomas Maw, 'John', Captain William Groves, 'Ann', Captain E. Popplewell.
In 1826 twenty-four steamers from Hull plied along the coast during the summer months, London being the greatest distance to which they ran. About the year 1835 the number had increased to something like forty-four being in the Hamburg trade, one to Rotterdam, three to London, and the remainder principally coastwise. There are now above seventy steam boats trading to and from Hull, their collective cargo being about 15,000 tons with 7,230 horse power.
In 1829 Pigot's Trade Directory listed Sailing Packets leaving Hull for Barrow, Barton, Brigg, Garthorpe, Goxhill, Grimsby, Howden, Paul, Skitter, Stallingborough, Swinefleet, Weighton, Whitton, Wintringham and Whitgift. Steam Packets left for London, Barton, Brigg, Gainsborough, Goole, Grimsby, Lynn, Selby, Thorne, and Yarmouth.
In 1834 the railway line between Leeds and Selby opened to passengers but if you wanted to travel onward to Goole or Hull then you had to catch the paddle-steamers known as Steam Packets.
In 1835 a traveller from London wrote this about his journey
"Travellers in England, at the present day, have no reason to complain of high charges. The Gazelle steamer, in which vessel I left London, completed her voyage to Hull, in the teeth of a stiff breeze from the north-west, within thirty-six hours; the first cabin fare was ten shillings; the steward kind and attentive, the berths good, and provisions of the best description. It must be confessed that those of the after-cabin paid somewhat dear for the privilege of exclusiveness, for the wind swept along the raised quarter-deck with unrestrained force, the vessel being provided with painted green netting instead of bulwarks; nor was there any other protection than this frail substitute against the weather."
'The Annals' reported "By a return made to the house of commons it appears that in the year ending 5th January 1835 the number of vessels that entered inwards in the port of Hull was 1520, and the tonnage of the same 228,844; of these ships eight hundred and ninety-four belonged to the United Kingdom, sixteen to Russia, thirty-one to Sweden, forty-five to Norway, two hundred and seven to Denmark, sixty-four to Prussia, one hundred and fifty-six to Germany, seventy-two to Holland, twenty-one to Belgium, four to France, one to Spain, six to the Italian States and three to the United States of America."
1844 - 'The Annals' stated - "The number of steam-boat passengers from London to Hull amounts to 36,000 annually."
Hull Packet Boats 1833.
The Hull Ice Co.
Prior to 1899 Hull imported Ice from Norway. In 1891 Hull Ice Co. set up an installation on the Fish Dock, and since then the trade has expanded so enormously that in the year ending April 1928 , 167,524 tons of ice were turned out , the water used for the process during the same period was 41,933,00 gallons.
Paull - Near Hull
The Parish of Paull is on the Humber. In ancient documents the place is called Paghill and Pagula. From the earliest times it has been in possession of the Lords of the Seigniory, and it continued in the Constable family until the year 1769, when High Pauli as well as the manor of Paghill was sold for £6,700 to an opulent merchant in Hull named Blaydes. It seldom at that time cleared £100 per annum on account of the breaches made in the banks by the Humber, a single tide doing damage to the amount of £300. Since then, however, thousands of acres of the richest land have been added. The church and tithes anciently belonged to the Abbey of Albemarle and after the Dissolution the patronage was granted to the Archbishop of York and his successors. It is said that the old church was situated in Paull Holme and allowed to go to decay, and was eventually pulled down and the best of the materials used in the building of a parish church upon the bank of the Humber. The latter ediface was demolished together with a fort that was erected near it during the civil wars (on the 11th of October 1642) and it continued in ruins till the restoration of Charles II, when the materials were moved to a new site, in the open fields of Paull and used in the construction of the present church. The situation of the church, standing as it does by itself, on a considerable eminence, nearly a quarter of a mile from the town. It is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Andrew and comprises a nave with aisles, a chancel and a small transcept, with a tower of three stages in the centre. Paull is celebrated for its shrimps. King Charles I raised his forces there in 1642. In the older days war vessels were built at that place. So late as 1812 the 'Anson', 74 gunsship, was built at Paull by Mr. Steemson at a cost of £140,000.
Ship Builder - Steemson
Built Paull in August 1804 ''Combatant' Corvette 24 guns.
January 1807. Ship Yard. To let, for a term of years or sold at the option of the applicant, an extensive ship yard, situate at Thorne Quay, in the Parish of Thorne, in the County of York, adjoining upon the River Dun, with all the slips, boilers, sheds, blacksmiths shops, drying rooms and other erections, in and to the said ship yard belonging, and also a very capacious dry dock, lately made upon the said premises and which opens into the River Dun, sufficiently capacious to hold a ship of 400 tons burthen, and also an excellent new and modern built house, adjoining the said ship yard and which commands a perfect view over all the business transacting therein. There is also for the better accommodation of conveying timber from the Dun into the Yard and from the Yard into boats, in the River Dun, a strong well built new crane capable of supporting 10 tons weight for all purposes, for which the same is used, also an excellent garden with two acres of capital land adjoining the premises. The whole are now in the occupation of the owner Mr. Steemson, who having entered in contract with Government is necessitated to leave Thorne, and reside at Paul in compliance with and for the purpose of fulfilling the engagements he hath so made. For further particulars apply to Mr. Steemson, Paul, near Hull or to Mr. Benson, solicitor, Thorne.
25th May 1807 - To be sold by Auction at the Grapes, Lowgate, Hull. Seventy-ninth Parts or Shares of the Brig 'Means', Charles Bailey, Master, also seventy-ninth Parts or Shares of her materials ( subject to such conditions of sale as shall be then and there produced) the said Brig was built by Mr. Thomas Steemson, at Thorne on 1803, under the immediate inspection of her employers and in every repect a well built substatial vessel, adapted for general purposes, sails fast, shifts without ballast and carries a large cargo at an easy draught of water, admeasures per register 109 tons, her sails and stores are in the highest state of preservation, and as the ship does not require any particular outfit (except provisions) she can be sent to sea immediately, now lying at Messrs Wright and Bowden's Quay, where she may be viewed.
Launched Paull in August 1807 ''Proserpine' Frigate 42 guns, twentyeight 18 pounders on her lower deck, 909 tons, 163 feet.
May 1808 - The 'Hyperion' Frigate, of 32 guns, lately launched from Mr. Gibson's Yard, at this port, has been fitted out, and arrived at the Little Nore, and is placed under the command of Captain Brodie.
November 1808 ''Neptune' Brig, George Skelton Master, 171 tons, built for the Company of Cheesemongers, London launched at Paull. This cutter is intended to be equipped with 8 carriage guns.
November 1808 ''Owen Glendower' Built Paull, Frigate, twentysix 18 pounders, six 9 pounders, six 32 pounders carronades on her forecastle two 9 pounders and two 32 pounders carronades. 943 tons, 149 feet length, breadth 38 feet.
April 1809 - One half share of the 'Paul Packet' built by Mr. Steemson, of Paul admeasuring 26 tons or thereabouts, and in good condition, having been built only a twelve month. For particulars apply to Richard Robinson, Hull.
May 1810 - The 'Hyperion' Frigate, of 32 guns, Captain Brodie, anchored at Port Royal on the 28th February with the fleet, to the number of 150 sail, from London and Barbadoes.
'HMS Anson'.- This the fourth ship to carry the name HMS Anson was a third rate, 74-gun, ship-of-the-line. Built by Steemson, of Paull near Hull, launched 11th May 1812, 175ft 6in long, 48ft 6in wide and of 1,742 tons. Used for harbour service from Jan-1831, then in 1844 used as a convict ship to Tasmania . Eventually broken up at Hobart 1851. (Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Anson_%281812%29)
12th May 1812 – ‘With great pleasure we announce the safe launch of the ‘Anson’, 74 gun ship, built by, Mr. Steemson, at Paull, which took place this evening at six o’clock, without the smallest accident whatever. The morning was exceedingly inauspicious, and the wind continued so very likely to prevent the wished for consummation, that high odds were offered it would not take place. The weather, however, moderated; and in the early part of the afternoon the event became certain, to the great joy of the many thousands who were assembled from all parts to witness the scene. Precisely at high water, she went down from the stocks in the most gallant stile, amidst the salutes of the men of war who were stationed in the Humber to receive her, the shouts of the multitude, and music, on shore. The assemblage of company to witness this (in this part of the country) naval spectacle, was such as may be anticipated. It is computed that from twelve to fifteen thousand persons were present. ’
‘On Wednesday; his Majesty’s sloops of war, ‘Mercurius’, Captain Renwick; ‘Tweed’, Captain Simons and ‘Ferrer’ arrived in Paull Roads, having on board Captain Fife, and 200 men, to take charge of the ‘Anson’, when launched, and proceed with her to Portsmouth, there to take on board her stores, and be fitted out for sea. The following are the dimensions of the ‘Anson’ – Extreme length, 206ft 6in, Length of keel 154 ft, Length of gun deck 176 ft, Extreme breadth 47 ft 6 in, Extreme height aft 52 ft 6in, Extreme height forward 45ft, Extreme height midships 39 ft, Depth of hold 21ft. Her measurement is 1741 17-94th tons; she is intended to carry 32 pounders on her gun deck, and 18 pounders on her upper desk, and is allowed by competent judges to be one of the best built vessels in the British navy.’
September 1819 - Commodore Sir T. Masterman Hardy, Bart sailed from Plymouth, on Thursday, with the 'Superb', 74, Captain T. White. 'Vengeur', 74, Captain F.L. Maitland, C.B. and the 'Hyperion' Frigate, Captain T. Searle, C.B. the 'Owen Glendower', Captain Hon. R.C. Spencer will follow.
March 1821 - The commisioners in a Commision of Bankrupt bearing date the 24th day of April, 1819, awarded and issued forth against Thomas Steemson, of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull, in the County of the same town, ship-builder, intend to meet on the 10th day of April next at eleven in the forenoon, at the Dog and Duck Tavern, in Scale Lane, Hull to make a final Dividend of the Estate and effects of the said bankrupt, when and where the Creditors who have not already proved their the same, or they will be excluded the benefit of the said dividend, and all claims not then proved will be disallowed. Thomas & Charles Frost, Solicitors.
April 12, 1812 - The Creditors who have proved their Debts under a Commission of Bankrupt, awarded and issued against Thomas Steemson, late of the town of Kingston-upon-Hull, Shipbuilder, deceased, may receive a further and final dividend by applying at the Bank of Messrs. Harrison, Watson and Locke, in Hull. Thomas & Charles Frost, Solicitors.
1838 - 'The Annals' mentions "- during the French war Paul was celebrated for its extensive dock-yard, in which ships of 74 guns were sometimes built"
May 1839 - Steemson's ship building esablishment will be occupied again for the purpose of ship building, by an united company of shipwrights who are said to have contracted to build a ship for the Hull Shipping Company.
Built Paull in 1859 'Ulysses' Sailing Smack (Official No. 27026) 39 tons. Registered Hull 1870, owned by John Huckstep, Hull. Registered Yarmouth 1880, owned by Alfred Sillett, Yarmouth.
There were a great many British warships built at Hull and along the Humberside during the 18th and early 19th centuries, some of the biggest being the 74 gun 'Temple' of 1759, and the 64 gun 'Ardent' of 1762, both launched at Hessle Cliff by Hugh Blaydes, that famous shipbuilder and the 40 gun ships 'Adventure' (1740), 'Anglesea' (1741), 'Hector'(1743), and 'Pool'(1744), which Blaydes built in his Hull yard.
Ship Builder - J.H. Hepworths & Sons, Paull.
December 1932. At the Humber Conservancy Board meeting it was stated that a letter had been received from Messrs Sanderson & Co. solicitors, Hull intimating that Mr. R. Hepworth, Hull contemplated purchasing a piece of land at Paull to use in connection with the breaking up of craft on the foreshore. The Board granted permission subject to the usual conditions.
October 1935. Mr. John R. Hepworth, shipbreaker, Belmont Street, Hull has purchased for breaking up at Paull the steam trawler 'Brent' of 140 tons, built by Messrs W. Hamilton & Co, Glasgow in 1892. The 'Brent' has been purchased from Consolidated Fisheries Ltd. Grimsby.
November 1941. The Wedding took place at St. Columba, Hull of Mr. Louis Hepworth, second son of Mrs and the late Mr. R. Hepworth, shipbuilder of Paull and Brindley Street, Hull and Miss Miriam Gledhill, only daughter of Mrs and the late Pilot J.E. Gledhill, Hull.
January 1948. After a lapse of 200 years, shipbuilding has been revived at Paull, east of Hull, and John R. Hepworth & Co. Ltd. have built steel lighters for the Booth Line for trade with Brazil. Each is 60 ft long and weighs 26 tons. One is named 'Elena'.
Built 1948 - 'Lapwing C' Screw River Tanker, official No. 181330, 110 x 16 x 7 ft, 74 tons,170 b.h.p. diesel engine by Ruston Hornsby Ltd. Lincoln, for Messrs James W. Cook & Co. London. 1956 lenghtened by 30 ft by J.H. Hepworth & Sons, Paull. February 1961 lost with the death of two crew members and one passenger on Whitton Sands, David Wilberforce Master.
A ship on wheels left Hull today (21st January 1949). It was the 22 ton towing vessel 'KG', built by Hepworths, of Paull, which started her journey to London docks by road. Last night, Foreman E.F. Willis, a crane driver, three men of the Docks and Inland Waterways staff, and one on the ship helped load the vessel on the the low loading articulated road vehicle. The boat measures 42 x 11 x 5 ft. It overhung the transporter by five or six feet either end. KG, which completed her trials last week, had been bought by W.J.R. Whitehair, Ltd. of London.
January 1949 Trial trip of 'K.G.' a Motor Towing Launch built by John R. Hepworth (Hull) Ltd. and is designed for towing lighters on the Thames. 43 x 12 ft, powered by a diesel engine. An order for a similar vessel has been placed.
October 1950 Two new Sheffield Sized Motor Barges for Richard Hodgson & Son, Ltd. Beverley. Named 'Orotan' official No. 183455 and 'Sectan' official No. 183456, both fitted with electric light and engines of 40 h.p.
1956 - 'Frederick Oldridge' (Yard No. 52) Steel Barge later to become a Screw Motor Tug, official No. 186728, for William Gilyott & Co. Hull.
1990 'Rix Eagle' River Tanker, official No. 9022063, registered Hull, 155 tons, 180 x 20 x 10 ft.
Hepworth Shipyard is also based on the River Humber, they are a specialist builder, converter and repairer of small to medium sized vessels. Several of the Rix Shipping barges were built and converted at the shipyard. - Rix Marine Bunkering.
Hepworth Shipyard Ltd. is a relatively small shipbuilding company based in the River humber actively engaged in the building, conversion and repairing of all types of steel craft. The shipyard has been established for over 20 years and is a wholly owned subsidiary of J.R.Rix & Sons Ltd, which is a large family owned, Hull based company. The shipyards facilities include a 30m x 12m fabrication shed where the hulls of the vessels are built, adjacentto which are comprehensively equipped fitting and joiners shop. A 42m x 8,5m dry dock is used both for the fitting out of the new build vessels as well as for the repair and conversion of other craft. The site facilities are completed by a slipway which can be accommodate shallow drafted vessels such as barges, pontoons and small ferries etc., up to a lenght of approx. 60 m.
May 2012. The joint venture between Rix Shipping and Dunston (Ship Repairs) will see three new state-of-the-art aluminum vessels at the former Hepworths Yard in Paull.
Ship Owner - J.R. Rix & Sons Ltd. Hull.
1916 - 'Magrix' (Yard No. 723) Steel Screw Steamer, official No. 139306, registered Hull, 135 x 23 x 10 ft, 124 tons, 57 h.p. for Robert Rix, 180 High Street, Hull. 1930 for John R. Rix, Crown Chambers, Land of Green Ginger, Hull.
September 1916 ''Robrix' Coaster (Official No.139307) 124 tons. 135 x 23 x 11ft, 50h.p. engines by Drypool Engineering Co. Ltd. Hull. Owned by Humber Steam Coasters Ltd., Hull. R. Rix & Sons Ltd.
1916 - 'Jarrix' (Yard No. 726) Steel Screw Steamer, official No. 139308, registered Hull, 150 x 25 x 11 ft, 204 tons, 69 h.p. for the Humber Steam Coasters Ltd. 180 High Street, Hull (J.R.Rix).
1916 - 'Ebbrix' (Yard No. 727) Steel Screw Steamer, official No. 139311, registered Hull, 150 x 25 x 11 ft, 204 tons, 69 h.p. for the Robert Rix. 180 High Street, Hull. 1930 for John R. Rix, Crown Chambers, Land of Green Ginger, Hull.
December 1919 - 'Norrix' (Yard No. 690) Steel Screw Steamer, official No. 144043, registered Hull, 750 tons for Messrs Rix & Sons, Hull. Biult by Cochranes Selby.
1920 - 'Mayrix' Steel Screw Steamer, official No. 144055, registered Hull, for Humber Steam Coasters, Ltd. Crown Chamber, Land of Green Ginger, Hull.
November 1920 ''Kenrix' Steam Coasters (Official No.144079) 317 tons. 175 x 29 x 14ft, 96h.p. Owned by Messrs. R. Rix & Sons, Hull.
November 1920 ''Ernrix' Steam Coaster (Official No.144090) 317 tons. 175 x 29 x 14ft, 96h.p. Owned by Messrs. R. Rix & Sons, Hull.
1923 - 'Malrix' Steel Screw Coaster, official No. 147085, registered Hull, for Rix Steamships Ltd, Crown Chambers, Land of Green Ginger, Hull. 175 x 29 x 11 ft, 354 tons, 96 h.p. June 1923 on Trial Trip and then loaded coal for Bremen.
May 1923 - 'Lesrix' Steel Screw Coaster, official No. 147126, registered Hull, for Rix Steamships Ltd. Crown Chambers, Land of Green Ginger, Hull. 175 x 29 x 14ft.
Built by Messrs Beliard, Crighton & Co. Ltd. Shipbuilders, Ostend, 1938 - 'Francine' for Messrs Armateur Alexander, Antwerp. 1954 sold to Messrs J. R. Rix & Sons Ltd, Carmelite House, Posterngate, Hull, renamed 'Lesrix' official No. 185172, registered Hull, 172 x 29 x 10 ft, 361 tons. 29th October 1960 left Goole loaded with coal bound for Hayle, Cornwall, under command of Captain Simison and a crew of nine. 31st October she was lost off Portland Bill, none of the crew survived.
Clelands Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. Wallsend, 1965 - 'Irishgate' renamed 'Jemrix' 1974 for J.R. Rix, Hull, Coaster , official No. 6512342.
Yorkshire Dry Dock 1977 - 'Rix Hawk, Ex 'Breydon Venture', Coastal Tanker, official No. 7533630, 321 tons, 9.5 knots 1999 converted to tanker.
Yorkshire Dry Dock 1979 - 'Brendon Enterprise' in 1996 renamed and converted to 'Rix Harrier' River Tanker, official No. 7802093, 354 tons.
2003 - 'Rix Owl' River Tanker, official No. 9283588, 207 tons, 197 x 20 ft.
Hepworth Shipyard Paull 2005 - 'Rix Merlin' official No. 9366952, 496 gross tons.
2007 - 'Rix Pheonix' River Tanker, official No. 9392638, 165 tons, 197 x 20 ft.
'Anciently spelled Grimsbye is a borough, market , a sea-port town and parish, in the hundred of Bradley-Haverstoc and parts of Lindsey division, is 168 miles from London, 35 NE from Lincoln, and 16 SE from Hull.'
1828 - 'Pigot & Co. Directory
The Great Grimsby Ice Company.
In 1863 The Grimsby Ice Company was formed by leading smack-owners to import Norwegian ice,
September 1887. Grimsby Ice Company – 'The annual meeting of the Grimsby Ice Company was held on Wednesday in the Temperance Hall. ….. Every confidence was felt in the future prosperity of the company, which is now one of the largest smackowning and steam fish-carrying companies in the country. The meeting, which at times, was of a very lively character, lasted about five hours.'
March 1889. An Ice Manufactory – 'The manufacture of artificial ice on a large scale is about to be recommended by the Great Grimsby Ice Company and the Grimsby Co-operative Ice Company, who have just opened the premises vacated by the Great Northern Ice Company. After spending some £25,000 upon buildings, land, plant, etc. at Grimsby, the latter company was wound up a short time ago, and the property and plant were purchased for the two Grimsby companies for £4,000. Before the advent of the Great Northern Ice Company, the ice trade at Grimsby was confined to the import of natural ice from Norway, but there will be now two sources of supply, and the Linde British Refrigerating Company are also about to establish an ice factory at Grimsby.'
The Great Grimsby Ice Company Factory was opened on October 9 1901 as a joint initiative between the Grimsby Ice Company and the Grimsby Co-operative Ice Company. Its purpose was to replace Norway's ice to supply local ice to preserve fish on its journey from the deep sea fishing grounds .
The Grimsby Co-operative Ice Co. Ltd.Vessels
1872 'Helens' Barque built North Hylton 433 tons, official No. 65917.
The Great Grimsby Ice Co. Ltd. Vessels
1856 'Oryx' Barque built Dundee 270 tons, official No. 16170.
1856 'Orynx' Barque built Dundee 270 tons, official No.16170.
1860 'Eddystone' Barque built South Shields 400 tons, official No. 28591.
1862 'Athenian' Barque built Sunderland 328 tons, official No. 44478.
1865 'Alliance' Barque built Hylton 338 tons, official No. 51168.
1865 'H, Smethurst' Dandy built Grimsby 58 tons, official No. 47998.
1867 'Hamburg' Dandy built Hamburg 77 tons, official No. 65840.
1867 'Humber' Dandy built Elmshorn 79 tons, official No. 65816 (Foreign name 'Stor').
1868 'Blanche' Dandy built Hamburgh 78 tons, official No. 65843.
1868 'Clara' dandy built Grimsby 58 tons, official No. 60273.
1868 'Derwent' Barque built Southwick, Durham 372 tons, official No. 58108.
1868 'Gladstone' Dandy built Denmark 76 tons, official No. 65836. Originally named 'Eider'.
1868 'Lily' Dandy built Grimsby 59 tons, official No. 60271.
1869 'Heroine' Dandy built Grimsby 60 tons, official No. 63122.
1870 'Fortitude' Dandy built Burton Stather 64 tons, official No. 60210.
1870 'Motto' Ketch built Rye 61 tons, official No. 60209.
1870 'Orient' Ketch built Sandwich 59 tons, official No. 63117.
1870 'Peace' Ketch built Sandwich 70 tons, official No. 65208.
1870 'Unity' Ketch built Rye 64 tons, official No. 27988.
1871 'Enchantress' Ketch built Brixham 69 tons, official No. 63146.
1871 'Gleaner' Dandy built Grimsby 67 tons, official No. 65823.
1871 'Hannah' Ketch built Sandwich 65 tons, official No. 65817.
1871 'Livonia' Ketch built Brixham 68 tons, official No. 65811.
1871 'Oliver Cromwell' Dandy built Grimsby 66 tons, official No. 65829.
1871 'Tornado' Dandy built Grimsby 69 tons, official No. 65815.
1871 'Valiant' Dandy built Grimsby 65 tons, official No. 65827.
1871 'Warden Law' Barque built Pallion 460 tons, official No. 62624.
1872 'Enchanter' Ketch built Brixham 69 tons, official No. 67677.
1872 'Doncaster' Dandy built Grimsby 70 tons, official No. 67670.
1872 'John Robert' Dandy built Newhaven 63 tons, official No. 67664.
1872 'Will Dawn' Dandy built Grimsby 68 tons, official No. 67669.
1873 'Colin Rodger' Ketch built Dartmouth 70 tons, official No. 67719.
1873 'Australian' Ketch built Brixham 72 tons, official No. 67723.
1874 'Nathan Chapman' Ketch built Grimsby 69 tons, official No. 67747.
1875 'Annie Williamson' Ketch built Plymouth 76 tons, official No. 73211.
1875 'Atalanta' Ketch built Dartmouth 78 tons, official No. 73146.
1875 'Freedom' Ketch built Grimsby 69 tons, official No.73208.
1875 'Jumna' Ketch built Grimsby 73 tons, official No. 73214.
1875 'Oimara' Ketch built Grimsby 77 tons, official No. 73216.
1875 'Queen of the Fleet' Ketch built Grimsby 67 tons, official No. 67758.
1875 'Robin Hood' Ketch built Grimsby 72 tons, official No. 73212.
1875 'Suspicious' Ketch built Grimsby 73 tons, official No. 73209.
1876 'Caledonia' Ketch built Dartmouth 78 tons, official No. 75326.
1876 'Crusader' Dandy built Rye 75 tons, official No. 73181.
1876 'Harrington' Ketch built Grimsby 72 tons, official No. 73246.
1876 'Three Sisters' Ketch built Grimsby 75 tons, official No. 76669.
1877 'Agenoria' Ketch built Grimsby 72 tons, official No. 76678.
1877 'Agra' Ketch built Grimsby 79 tons, official No. 76688.
1877 'Anglia' Ketch built Dartmouth 80 tons, official No. 75370.
1877 'Black Watch' Dandy built Elmshorn 77 tons, official No. 78484.
1877 'Cheering'Dandy built Galmpton 69 tons, official No. 78336.
1877 'Cossack' Dandy built Elmshorn 78 tons, official No. 79066.
1877 'Lynet' Brig built Norway 230 tons, official No. 76681.
1877 'Edward Heneage' Dandy built Elmshorn 78 tons, official No. 79069.
1877 'George Washington' Ketch built Schlesvig 74 tons, official No. 76709.
1877 'Guide' Ketch built Hull 83 tons, official No. 78487.
1877 'Hearty Welcome' Dandy built Barton 76 tons, official No. 78335.
1877 'Henry Herbert' Dandy built Brixham 71 tons, official No. 78483.
1877 'Hibernia' Ketch built Dartmouth 83 tons, official No. 77502.
1877 'J. Murrell' Ketch built Elmshorn 77 tons, official No. 76696.
1877 'Little Samuel' Dandy built Brixham 77 tons, official No. 79072.
1877 'Uhlan' Dandy built Apenrade 89 tons, official No. 78482.
1877 'William' Dandy built Grimsby 74 tons, official No. 78500.
1877 'Young Eliza' Dandy built Brixham 73 tons, official No. 78498.
1878 'Beaver' Ketch built Dartmouth 79 tons, official No. 79017.
1878 'Daisy' Dandy built Apenrade 74 tons, official No. 79553.
1878 'Precurser' Iron Screw Steamer 50h.p. built Middlesborough, 130 x 21 x 11ft, 113 tons, official No. 79085, 1880 owned by the Great Grimsby Ice Co. Ltd.
Trial Trip – ‘ On Saturday one of the Great Grimsby Ice Company’s new steam cutters made a trial trip to Hull, under the command of Captain Brown. Leaving the Quay at 11 a.m., with a number of gentlemen interested in the fish trade on board, the vessel arrived at Hull about one. During the passage the ‘Precursor’ ran a measured mile in 4 min. 55 sec. Luncheon was served on board, and the party went ashore for a short time in Hull, leaving again at two o;clock. The trip was in every way satisfactory. The ‘Precursor’ sailed on Monday for the fishing grounds.'
1878 'Celerity' Iron Screw Steamer 50h.p. built Middlesborough 114 tons, official No. 79086.
1878 'Dispatch' Iron Screw Steamer 50h.p. built Middlesborough 114 tons, official No. 79087.
1878 'Harry Sinclair' Dandy built Barton 77 tons, official No. 79092.
1878 'Kitty' Ketch built Elmshorn 75 tons, official No. 79555.
1878 'Jonadab' Ketch built Hamburgh 74 tons, official No. 79099.
1878 'Lord Beaconsfield' Dandy built Grimsby 80 tons, official No. 79100.
1878 'Lord Salisbury' Dandy built Barton 77 tons, official No. 79559.
1878 'Scotia' Ketch built Dartmouth 87 tons, official No. 79038.
1878 'Selina' Dandy built Brixham 76 tons, official No. 79089.
1878 'Striver' Dandy built Barton 77 tons, official No. 79084.
1878 'Twilight' Ketch built Grimsby 77 tons, official No. 79564.
1879 built Middleborough - 'Velocity' Iron Screw Steamer, 130 x 21 x 11 ft, 50 h.p. 102 tons, official No. 79575. Registered Grimsby and in 1880 owned by the Great Grimsby Ice Co. Ltd.
1879 'Ben Dearg' Ketch built Dartmouth 80 tons, official No. 73431.
1879 'Ben Ledi' Ketch built Dartmouth 77 tons, official No. 73435.
1879 'George Stevenson' Dandy built Grimsby 82 tons, official No. 79589.
1879 'Sir W. Armstrong' Dandy built Grimsby 83 tons, official No. 79567.
1880 'Exertion' Dandy built Grimsby 76 tons, official No. 83527.
1881 'Friends Goodwill' Ketch built Rye 72 tons, official No. 83562.
1881 'Fox' Dandy built Grimsby 76 tons, official No. 83541.
1882 'Boneta' Dandy built Newhaven 73 tons, official No. 86418.
1884 'Empress of India' Dandy built Grimsby 81 tons, official No. 90358.
1885 'Martha Somerville' Ketch built Grimsby 79 tons, official No. 91544.
1886 'Beatrice Forester' Ketch built Brixham 84 tons, official No. 93921.
March 1887 - 'Gorden's Charge' Trawl Smack Ketch, official No. 94046, 80 x 21 x 11 ft, 90 tons, for Mr. William J. S. Hood, 47 Hainton Street, Weelsby. 1896 for Great Grimsby Ice Co. Ltd Grimsby.
1888 'G.I.C.' Ketch built Grimsby 85 tons, official No. 94083.
These can be anything from a simple rowing boat to a flat bottomed type of punt capable of transporting carriages or in more recent times cars.
The picture on the above shows the ferry at Booth Ferry.
Ferries on the Humber had much larger vessels.
Winteringham to Brough
January 1797 Brough Ferry. To be let and entered upon at Lady-Day next, the Ferry from Brough to Winteringham. with all the harbour dues at Brough. The boats at present employed in the Ferry may be purchased at a fair valuation. Inquire of Mr. Cockerill, at the Custom House Bank, Hull.
June 1841. Brough Ferry. B.Brown begs most respectfully to inform his friends and the Public, that he has purchased a powerful Steam Boat for the conveyance of Passengers, Goods and Cattle across the Humber to Winteringham, in Lincolnshire, which is acknowledge to be the easiest and best drive south of the Humber. Passengers and Cattle can be forwarded into the West Riding, at a very short notice, by Railway and the charges wil be the same as at Hessle. An experienced Captain has been engaged, who will cross the Humber at any time; the Pastures and Hay are the best description and every attention will be paid to the comfort and accomodation of the parties using the Ferry. B. Brown trusts from the advantageous situation and the quick despatch, that his Friends in Lincolnshire will favour him with their patronage. All inquiries to be made of Mr. William Hudson, Ferry House Inn, Brough.
Barton to Brough
Barton to Hessle
On the 24th May 1300 King Edward I came to Hull by way of Barton and Hessle and then on to Beverley. His retinue occupied eleven vessels and and took two days at a cost of thirteen shillings paid to Galfrid de Seleby.
February 1846. Barton and Hessle Ferries in conjunction with Hull and Selby Railway. J. Clapson begs to inform Cattle Dealers, Graziers and the Public generally that he has purchased the Cattle Boat lately plying between Brough and Winteringham which is now plying on the Barton and Hessle Station. This being the narrowest part of the Humber, a safe and expeditious passage is afforded for Cattle, Carriages, Horses, Gigs etc. and the Proprietor is determined that no accomodation within his power shall be witheld that may add to the great natural advantages of this Ferry. The immense and steadyily increasing traffic proves that its advantages are fully appreciated by the Public. On or after the First of February next, the Hessle Packet will be despatched to meet the several Trains to London, Leeds, York, Sheffield etc as follows; Depart from Barton 8am, 10 am, 1.30 pm, 4.45 pm. from Hessle 9 am, 11.15 am, 2.15 pm, 6.20 pm. and on Sundays 3.30 pm, 6.20 pm.
November 1852 – ‘Barton and Hessle Ferries. On Sunday afternoon Hylton’s Royal Menagerie, in 11 caravans, together with horses and the company, safely debarked at Barton waterside, from Hessle, at two different times, in four hours, en route to Gainsborough mart. The admirable arrangements made by the York and North Midland Railway Company have rendered this ferry decidedly the most safe and convenient for the transit of cattle, horses, and vehicles across the Humber.’
June 1846 Her Majesty's Postmaster General having decided that Mail shall be conveyed by way of Hessle and Barton (instead of New Holland, as heretofore) to commence on Monday 6th July next. The public are respectfully informed that the guard and passengers will leave Hull by special train at 1.30 pm for Hessle Station, to cross the Humber to Barton, and thence by Mail Coach to Brigg, Hibaldstow, Redburn, Spittal, Lincoln, Sleaford, Falkingham, Bourne, Market Deeping and Peterborough etc, returning by the same route to Hull arriving at Hull by special train about 12.30 pm. Passengers and parcels booked for the above towns at the Railway Office, Hull; Passengers will also be booked from Hull to Barton and Barton to Hull by these conveyances. the fare each way, including ferry - First Class 1s, Second Class 9d, Third Class 6d.
November 1852 – ‘Barton and Hessle Ferries. On Sunday afternoon Hylton’s Royal Menagerie, in 11 caravans, together with horses and the company, safely debarked at Barton waterside, from Hessle, at two different times, in four hours, en route to Gainsborough mart. The admirable arrangements made by the York and North Midland Railway Company have rendered this ferry decidedly the most safe and convenient for the transit of cattle, horses, and vehicles across the Humber.’
South Ferriby to North Ferriby
Hull to Ferriby Sluice
July 1846 'Royal Albion' Steam Packet. To be sold by private contract, the 'Royal Albion' Steam Packet of 48 tons burthen and 50 h.p. lately plying between Ferriby Sluice and Hull now lying in the Dock at Great Grimsby. The 'Royal Albion' was built at Hull in 1842 by Messrs Miller & Co. and her very superior engine made by Messrs Overton & Wilson, Hull. Mr. George Welbourn, Dock Office, Great Grimsby, will show the vessel and further inquiries as to price and particulars may be made at the Union Steam Packet Office, Brigg or to Mr. Daniels, Auctioneer, Hull.
May 1857 A new river steam boat was launched on Tuesday last from Messrs Samuelson's yard, Groves. She was named the 'Wave' by Miss Hoswald and is to commence running daily between Hull and Ferriby Sluice in about 3 weeks. She is 95 ft by 15 ft beam and is fitted with engines of 30 h.p. her accommodation for passengers is to be both extensive and comfortable.
September 1864 A very dense fog prevailed during the morning of Wednesday last, in the course of which the steamer 'Wave', which plies between this port and Ferriby Sluice was coming down the Humber. The 'Wave' which carries passengers between Hull & Brigg commenced her voyage about an hour and a half later than usual on account of the fog. No accident occured until the vessel arrived off the new West Dock. This would be about a quarter to twelve o'clock and the vessel was then about 150 yards from the piles of the dock. The engines were stopped and soundings taken and it was found that they were in about five feet of water. For some few yards they dropped down the river with the engines stopped and whilst doing so the vessel struck. The obstruction with which she had met was not however sufficient to stop her and she still continued to float down the river. About five minutes afterwards one of the crew informed the captain that the ship was rapidly filling. The passengers in the cabin also ran on deck stating that the water was fast coming in. Captain Oswell at once gave the orders for the engine to be turned ahead at full speed and in about five minutes more the 'Wave' was run aground off the Corporation pier. The passengers were at once landed and the vessel being lightened, again floated. Two keels were attached to her with a view of floating her whilst she could be towed into Ferry Boat Dock by the 'Magna Charta' steamer. She was moved as far as the east end of the pier, when the 'Despatch' steamer was towing out seven keels, one of which ran into the keel attached to the starboard side of the 'Wave' tearing it away. Shortly afterwards the 'Wave' went down and was soon covered by the tide. Before this had occured, however, the cabin furniture and every other moveable thing was got out. Captain Oswell is of the opinion that the accident was caused by the vessel coming into contact with a large stone or stones as the vessel draws only 2 1/2 feet. and she was at the time of the accident, as stated in five feet of water. The 'Wave' had often come down the river at the same state of tide and had passed much nearer to the West Dock works. Of course measures will be taken as promptly as possible to raise the wreck.
January 1866, The Storm on Sunday night and Monday last was severely felt on the coast and on the Humber. Even as high up the river as Feriby Sluice a heavy sea ran and as the 'Wave' (the Brigg boat) was coming stern first into the Humber from Ferriby Sluice she encountered several heavy seas, which knocked in the captain's state room windows and deluged the apartment.
December 1866, Royce v Oswell - This was a claim for £2 for damage done to a boat. Mr. Summers appeared for the defendant. On the 30th of October, in the forenoon, the Ferriby Sluice steamer ran into the defendant's boat in the Ferry Boat Dock and injured it. It was afterwards repaired at a cost of £2. A Verdict was given for defendant, it being shewn that plaintiff's boat was not in its proper place.
August 1867 A challenge has been issued by Mr. T. H. Greasley to Mr. W. Hellawell to row for the championship of the Humber. The steamers 'Wave' and 'Goole' each arrived at Ferriby Sluice freighted with heavy cargoes and hundreds of people flocked to the scene of the encounter from the surrounding district. The course was from Horkstow bridge to a point near Ferriby Sluice, distance one mile and was won by Mr. Hellawell.
September 1868 The amateur match on the Ancholme between Mr. Brian Walker, of York (champion of the Humber) and Mr. W. Hellawell, of Hull (the ex-champion), is fixed to take place on Monday the 28th inst. This match has caused great interest in the town amongst rowing men. The distance will be one mile, and the prize to be completed for a piece of plate, value five guineas. Umpire Mr William Sharpe, judge Mr. Morton Munroe, Starter Mr R. Watham, stakeholder Mr. W. Wood. The steamer 'Wave' has been specially chartered for the rowers and their friends and will leave the Victorian pier at 1-30 p.m. and return from Ferriby about 4-30.
August 1894, The annual trip of Hull shop assistants to Ferriby Sluice was held yesterday, under favourable weather, only one or two showers falling. The party, numbering about 200 left the pier at 2.15 in the steamer 'Her Majesty' commanded by Captain Maltby. The tide being favourable, Ferriby, was reached about 3.30. The main attraction was the sports, for which a good array of prizes was provided. The party left Ferriby at 8.20 arriving at Hull at 9.15 without any accident or mishap.
May 1909, Opportunities for holiday makers to enjoy the breezes on the Humber are provided by the Goole & Hull Steam Packet Co. Ltd. whose steamers 'Her Majesty' and 'Empress' will be on service. During June there will be daily sailings to Ferriby Sluice and this month a service will be maintained between Hull and Goole, the starting place from Hull being the Corporation Pier. There will be a half day trip to Ferriby Sluice on Thursday June 17, leaving Hull at 2 o'clock, fare one shilling. The holiday arrangements include a trip to Goole on Sunday, leaving at 2 o'clock and on Whit Monday to Ferriby Sluice leaving at the same hour. Short trips on the Humber have also been arranged. The well known 'Atalanta' of the East Coast Passenger Service Ltd. will also be catering for the public this holiday time. Tomorrow and on Saturday there will be excursions direct to Spurn (landing), leaving Victoria Pier at 2.30, also Saturday to Grimsby and back leaving Hull at 2.30.
April 1916 River trips on the Humber were inaugurated by the steamer 'Mermaid'. The 'Isle of Axholme' will join in the service on Easter Monday, when there will be a trip to Ferriby Sluice, leaving at 1 o'clock and a river trip at 2 o'clock.
May 1928 It is understood that a Hull company has bought the pleasure steamer 'Frenchman', which for many years has given pleasure to thousands of people at Bridlington, with a view to reviving the ferry steamer service to and from Ferriby Sluice and Hull. The service was suspended during the war, and has not been restarted since. There is no doubt that a ferry will prove exceedingly popular especially during the summer months. The captain is a Winteringham man and we are informed the company intend starting the service in the last week in May.
Barton to Hull
"Barton ferry is distant from Hull 5 miles 216 yards, from Barrow ferry 1 mile 1650 yards."
In 1291 a ferry was established between Hull and Barton. In 1312 the rent paid for this ferry was 6s 8d. In 1320 its value was 40 shillings, in 1356 it was leased for £535. 0 s. 4 d., in 1831 a yearly rent of £800., then the ferry was sold to the railway company.
"Edward 1, in the course of progress to the North, visited Hull in the year 1300. He crossed the Humber, from Barton to Hessle, on the 26th of May, and the passage of the Royal party across the ferry appears to have occupied two days; the sum of 13s having been paid for the wages of Galfid de Seleby and other sailors,with eleven barges and boats employed during that time."
"In 1316, Robert de Sandal being Warden of the town, the King, at the request of the burgesses, and after an inquistition made, was pleased to establish a ferry to and from Barton in Lincolnshire, to bring and carry over men, horses, beasts,&c, at the rate of one halfpenny for every single person; a penny for every horseman; and twopence for every cart going across with two horses. This grant to the “Wardens and Burgesses, their heirs and successors for ever,” was made at Lincoln on the 28th of August, in the aforesaid year. In 1320, the value of this ferry was 40s per annum. In 1356 it was leased at the yearly rent of £535.0s.4d; and in 1831 at a yearly rent of £800. The ferry now belongs to the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company."
"In 1464, king Edward the 4th crossed the water from Barton to Hull, being the engaged in the disputes with his competitor Henry."
"22nd January 1656 - A lease was made for 11 years between the mayor and corporation of Hull, and Thomas Bamburgh, of the 'South Ferry' at a rate of £11."
In 1734 Daniel Defoe wrote about his journey from Barton to Hull - A little farther within Humber is Barton, a Town noted for nothing that I know of but an ill-favoured dangerous passage, or ferry, over the Humber to Hull, where in an open Boat, in which we had about fifteen Horses and ten Cows, mingled with about fifteen or eighteen Passengers, called Christians; we were about four Hours tossed about on the Humber, before we could get into the Harbour at Hull; whether I was Sea Sick or not is not worth Notice, but we were all sick of the Passage, any one may suppose, and particulatly I was so uneasy at it, that I chose to go round by York, rather than return to Barton, at least for a Time.
"On the 29th of October 1778, by letters patent from the crown, the Barton ferry was granted to Frances Pelham and Mary Pelham, of Whitehall, spinsters on payment of a fine of £80, and a reserved rent of £22 2s., for a reversionary term of years from 21st of March, 1792, the period of the expiration of a former lease granted to them. In this grant the ferry is descibed nearly in the same words as noted in the manorial survey of Cromwell's time. In the year 1792 the Misses Pelham disposed of their term in the ferry, to George Uppleby, Esq., of Barrow."
On the 4th July 1798 a travelling clergyman wrote the following - At eleven o'clock set sail in the Hull packet from Barton. The vessel large and commodious, with two cabins. The fare for each person only sixpence, and the company in number was about fifty. As the day was fair with a light breeze, almost everybody chose to be on deck, and the scene was delightul. The Thames is but a narrow rivulet, if compared to the Humber. The passage lasted about an hour and was truly agreeable.
"In 1799 Mr. Uppleby sold his interest in the Barton ferry for £2920 to William Osborn Esq., on behalf of the corporation of Hull, who there-upon became proprietors of both the Hull and Barton ferries, which soon exhibited the effects of monopoly. after the then existing lease of the Barton ferry fell into the hands of the Hull corporation, they let it to the Barton coach proprietors from year to year. A great event occured soon after, which effected a complete revolution in the passage of the Humber - the introduction of steam.The subsequent contentions which arose between the leasees and the public may be found narrated in the various newspapers and pamphlets of the day.
1815 - lease by the crown to the mayor and burgesses of Hull.
1st July, 1821 - From the mayor to Messrs. Thos. Boyce and Co., proprietors of coaches between Hull and London, for 12 1/2 years, rent £800, from Hull to Barton, and from Barton to Hull and Hessle.
August 12th 1835 - The Barton Ferry Company, consisted of thirteen indiviuals representing thirty-eight shares of £50 each.
September 30th 1837 - The company was dissolved and Mr. Walkden became the purchaser of the steamboats &c, at £2600, and owner of the ferries.
3rd April 1840 - Mr. Thos. Walkden died, and the ferries devolved to his daughter, Miss Ann Walkden. She made an incomplete sale to Mr.Thos. Clapson, but the ferry legally was hers until she became a bankrupt in 1851. A great number of gentlemen, compassionating her misfortune, raised by subscription £814, which they invested in the purchase of a government annuity of £60 for her life.
After Miss Walkden's bankruptcy the assignees worked the ferry until the affairs were wound up; the the North-Eastern Railway Company became the owners of the ferry, and they were succeeded in 1856 by Messrs. Hill, Stamp, and Drust, the present proprietors."
The Time when the Ferry Boats Sail from Hull for Barton
At New and Full moon they go off at 3 o’clock,
1st Day after ---- ---- 4 o’clock
2nd Day after ---- ---- 5 o’clock
3rd Day after ---- ---- 6 o’clock
4th Day after ---- ---- 7 o’clock
5th Day after ---- ---- 8 o’clock
6th Day after ---- ---- 9 o’clock
At the Two Quarter Days they go off at 9 o’clock
1st Day after ---- ---- 10 o’clock
2nd Day after ---- ---- 11 o’clock
3rd Day after ---- ---- 12 o’clock
4th Day after ---- ---- 1 o’clock
5th Day after ---- ---- 2 o’clock
6th Day after ---- ---- 3 o’clock
If the wind be West or SouthWest, the Boats will go off at half an hour before the time above-mentioned.
The boats go off from Barton to Hull, two hours after their arrival at Barton.
“Mail, when sent by Barton route, go by mail steam packet to Hessle, less than a mile across, whence they are instantly conveyed by a mail on land to Hull: when sent by New Holland, go thither from Brigg by a light cart, and then across the Humber to Hull, and the passage is one mile more by water, and a quarter or half more by land, than the Barton route.
A horse-boat conveys cattle and carriages every day coming with the tide. A market sloop plies on market-days when the morning tide favours. Barton people can go to Hull for 1d; Hull people to Barton and back for 2d; Strangers 4d. This is a privilege yet in force from ancient ferry charters. There is one steam packet to and from Hull; it leaves Hull at 7 o'clock returns from Barton at 8; leaves Hull again at 12, returns at 2; leaves a third time at 4, and starts from Barton again at half-past 6. Some years ago, before the packet was established, a hoy sailed once a day; of course the packet has benefitted the public. The fares are 6d. And 1s.; the accomodation appeared to us not so good by any means as such a continual transit of passengers should obtain. There is an export of corn, malt, bricks, tiles, starch and an import of coals.”
New Holland to Hull
For further details about Victoria Pier use the following link http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/h/hull_corporation_pier/index.shtml
Lincoln Castle - built 1940 in Glasgow a steel steam paddle ship length 199.7ft, 33.1ft beam with a draft of 8.8ft. Built by A.& J. Inglis.
Wingfield Castle - built 1934 of steel by W.Gray & Co. of West Hartlepool having a length of 199.9ft, beam of 33.1ft and a draft of 7.7 ft
The Bill for the making of the tunnel was passed by the House of Commons Committee on 22nd May 1873, and on 3rd July 1873 it came before a Committee of the House of Lords. The Bill was again supported by practically every interest in Hull, but a great change had come over the situation in the interval between the passing of the Bill by the Commons and its arrival in the Lords, for whereas in the Lower House the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire had been in favour of the Bill, they had been induced by the North Eastern Railway in the interval to take sides against it. The Committee then considered their decision and the chairman announced: “The committee have resolved that it is not expedient to proceed further with the Bill.” However that may be, the decision was a regrettable one for Hull. It fixed the North Eastern Railway’s monopoly over Hull still more firmly.
May 1913 – Two schemes are in the air. One of them, which was rejected by the House of Lords in 1873, was to have crossed the river to the west of Hull from Hessle to Barton; the other is a project for constructing a tunnel east of Hull, from Paull or Marfleet to the Lincolnshire side, with a short line connecting the railway at Goxhill. The latter scheme has been submitted to the Hull Corporation, and it is stated that a bill will be promoted in its favour in Parliament in the autumn.
March 1923 – ‘Lindsey County Council’s Meeting. Consideration was given to a resolution from the Hull Chamber of Commerce and Shipping asking for support for the Humber Tunnel scheme. Ald. Bellwood moved that the matter be referred to the Highways Committee for thorough consideration – Mr. Forrester said although he regarded any increased facilities for transit of goods or any improved method of travelling as steps in the progress of civilisation, he should like at the present time to most strenuously oppose that Council making any contribution towards the cost of it, not that he disapproved of the making of the tunnel, but simply because they could not afford it.’
June 1923 – ‘In regard to the Humber Tunnel was that there had been a meeting of the Committee appointed in connection with the Chamber of Commerce, of which Mr. E. Dumoulin was chairman. The name of an eminent engineer was mentioned, and it was decided that he should be asked to prepare a report on the potential value of a tunnel from the business point of view. This engineer has been closely associated with dock and railway affairs. The Lord Mayor, who is on the Committee and, keenly interested in the proposal, remarked that the project was a vast one and could not be decided ultimately in Hull.’
February 1934 –Mr. Louis Smith, M.P. in Parliament – ‘Despite the increased cost I believe, it would command general support, and that the Government would give financial assistance. It would, of course, obviate the navigation difficulty raised by a bridge. I would like to see the tunnel proposal put forward as a definite scheme by the responsible authorities. I know there is a difference of about a million pounds between the tunnel and the bridge, £1,750.000 for the bridge and £2,500,000 to £3,000,000 for the tunnel, but I think the extra expenditure would be worth while. The present system of transport is antediluvian.’
The Humber Hovercraft, named Mercury and run by Hover Marine, linking Hull and Grimsby made its final trip in October 1969 - just eight months after taking to the river. The service was badly hit by mechanical difficulties, unavoidable bad weather and one or two mishaps manoeuvring at Grimsby Dock.
The Humber Bridge, is a 7,280 ft (2,220-metre) single-span suspension bridge, which opened to traffic on 24 June 1981. It spans the Humber between Hessle on the north bank and Barton-upon-Humber on the south bank , connecting the East Riding of Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire.
"The river Hull is navigable to Frodingham Bridge, several miles above Beverley; and thence to Great Driffield by means of a canal. Another canal extends from this river to Leven, a length of about three miles."
The Archbishop of York, Lord of the town of Beverley, and owner of the soil on both sides of the river Hull, took tolls from boats and other small vessels plying the river. In 1213 the Archbishop’s rights upon the river at the town of Hull, was to have a free passage along its midstream, of the breadth of 24 feet. At that time the navigation was restricted to boats and small craft. But though the intervention of the Archbishop Walter Gifford, it was made navigable for ships in the year 1269. In that year an arrangement was made by the same prelate with the Lady Johanna de Stuteville, and Saer de Sutton, in which the last named parties agreed to remove the wears and fences which they had in the river for their fisheries, so as to leave a certain breadth of the river free and unobstructed, that ships as well as boats might pass without interruption between the Humber and the town of Beverley, in consideration of an annual rent of six marks, to be paid to them by the Archbishop, which sum the burgesses of Beverley agreed to reimburse.
In 1307 Sir John de Sutton Knight, then Lord of the Manor of Sutton was given the rights to run a ferry at Drypool.
"The freedom of passage conferred upon the burgesses by their charter, caused them to establish a ferry across the Hull; but Sir John de Sutton, Knt., then lord of the manor of Sutton, and owner of the lands on the Holderness side of the river, where the ferry lay, claimed, by descent from his ancestors, the exclusive right of passage across that river at Drypool, as appurtenant to his lands there. Having procured a writ of ad quod damnum to be directed to the Sheriff of Yorkshire, an inquisition was taken thereof in 1307, when the jurors recognised the complainant’s right to the ferry."
"On the 8th of December 1848, a dreadful catastrophe occurred here a little before 6 o’clock in the morning, which was fatal to a greater number of human lives than any other event which had occurred in this town for many years. A boat plying the Hull, at the ferry called “Brewhouse Wrack” between Groves and Wincolmlee, overturned and precipitated about thirty people into the water. A ferry had been established there many years, and since the erection of cotton mills on both sides, a large number of persons crossed and recrossed the river daily. Those on board, in this instance, were both sexes and various ages all being workpeople of the Kingston Cotton Mills. The accident was created by some of those on board moving to one side of the vessel, which caused it to slant over. Upon this, a move to the opposite side was instinctively, though foolishly made, and then the boat at once capsized in the middle of the river. The scene which followed baffles all description. The men and lads plunged and struggled to reach the shore, and the females, void of self possession, uttered shreiks which were heard at long distances in every direction. Many embraced each other, and speedily sank, and after a few moments nothing was heard but a few splashes, which only made the silence more awful. …..Fourteen persons were drowned twelve of whom were females."
Queen's Dock Ferry
January 1891 The Directors of the Hull Dock Company are prepared to receive tenders for working the ferry across the Queen's Dock between Grimston Street and the North and Quay Street on the south, under lease for either three or five years. Persons tendering to state the annual rent they are prepared to give, and the period they tender for.
The Archbishop of York had a ferry across the river Hull in the mid 12th century. In 1584 Lancelot Alford leased the crossing and by the 20th century there was a floating bridge controlled by chains that was used by carts and horses and a punt for foot passengers. Wawne ferry ceased to be operated about 1947.The last ferryman was Jack Clarkson who worked from 1934 to its closure with charges of 1 penny for foot passengers, 2 pennies for cyclists to 1 shilling for a car.
Picture and details by kind permission of Mr. Martin Limon.
'The ferry had been operating for 800 years (for the first half of its history it had been owned by the monks of Meaux Abbey near Wawne). By the 20th century it was operated from the Windham Arms on the Wawne side of the River Hull. From 1911 the pub and the ferry was owned by Donald Brewer and he continued to operate it with help from others (including Jack Clarkson) until the early 1940s. He then transferred ownership to his nephew Harold Walker on May 1st 1944 (the conveyance is in the Registry of Deeds at Beverley). Walker then sold the pub, the ferry rights and 44 acres of land to Moors and Robson's Brewery (Hull) on the 5th July 1946. The sale was finalised in a conveyance dated 19th August 1946. It was at this point (Aug 1946) that the ferry ceased to operate. We know this because Ronald Dixon, the tenant of Thearne Hall and Chairman of Woodmansey Parish Council, wrote about the closure in the Woodmansey Parish Council minutes of 18th December 1946 (these are in the East Riding Archive). Dixon was a keen amateur historian and realised that the end of a ferry that had been operating for 800 years was a significant event. He tells us in the minutes that he had written to Moors and Robsons Brewery to complain but had been told that the ferry boat was not safe to use and that the cost of repairing or replacing it was too excessive in view of the revenue it would generate. While Dixon admitted "there was no known law to force a ferry service" he continued to insist that Wawne Ferry was a public ferry and "could not be closed at the will of the man who owned the boat". Dixon campaigned to get the ferry re-opened but despite an investigation by East Riding Council during 1947 the ferry remained closed. A letter from the council to Moors and Robson's in January 1948 demanding that the "ferry service should be resumed at an early date" did not produce the desired result.'
For further reading see Martin Limon's book 'Tales from the East Riding' and his other books by History Press.
River Hull to Leven Canal
In 1801 a canal was constructed between Leven Bridge and the River Hull which enabled the carriage of goods, wares and merchandise to Hull as well as the improvment of land drainage for the area.
Canal from Market Weighton to the River Humber
As with the Hull - Leven canal this canal also helped both as water transport and land drainage serving the villages of " Market Weighton, Blacktoft, Everingham, Harsewell, Seaton, Ross, Holme upon Spalding-moor, Froggathorpe, Gribthorpe, Spaldington, Burnsea, Hasholm, Wholsea, North Cliffe, South Cliffe, Hothham, Houghton, Bromfleet, Faxfleet, Shipton, Sancton and Walling Fenn". " Tolls to be taken not to exceed 4s. for every ton of grocery goods, wares and merchandises; 2s. for every caldron of coals; 1s. 6d. for every caldron of lime; 1s for every ton of stone; 6d. for every ton of manure of all sorts; 2s. for every 1000 of tiles; 1s. for every 1000 bricks; and 8d. for every pack of wool, containing 16 stone to each pack; to be paid in proportion of the distance; the whole being payable from the Humber to Market Weighton".
The canal ceased to be used commercially in 1958 and closed in 1971 but is still used by pleasure craft.
The Ancholme navigation commences from the river Humber at Ferriby Sluice, South Ferriby and runs south to Brigg and joins the Caister Canal. Three acts of Parliament were passed to enlarge the canal and the draining of the surrounding land were passed in 1767, 1802 and 1825. The canal, as with others in the region, was used to convey coal, bricks and tiles, stone, groceries, wheat, rye, beans, peas or lentils, barley, malt and oats.
Louth Canal runs from Louth in Lincolnshire, to Tetney Haven, at the mouth of the Humber. As Louth started to fall into decline, plans were made for the construction of a canal in 1765. The canal built by 1770 at a cost of £28,000 allowed sea-going vessels from London to navigate to Louth exporting wool and corn and importing coal and timber. With the arrival of the railways, canal trade fell into decline and eventually closed for trade in 1924.
Mark Smith, River Head, Louth
Mark Smith,born Hull about 1791, married to Hannah also from Hull and five children. Died about 1872.
8th August 1846 - A Clipper sloop was launched from the yard of Mr. Smith, shipwright, River Head, near the first lock and named the 'Zephyr'. She is intended to carry 110 tons and trade between Louth & London for Messrs Allen and Nell.
Thomas Wray born Louth about 1825, married to Phoebe with four children. Died about 1900.
1826 - 'Blakeney Packet' Sloop of 57 x 15 x 7 ft, 57 tons launched from shipyard of Mr. Wray, of Louth, the property of Mr. R.J. and Randle Brereton, Blakeney, Merchants, William Baines Master.
October 1839 - 'Henry' Sloop of 75 tons launched from shipyard of Mr. Wray, of Louth, the property of Mr. Samuel, Silversmith, Louth.
April 1852 - 'Foston' 58 tons from the yard of Mr. Thomas Wray, Louth for either sea or river trade.
William Nell's Shipyard, Louth.
September 1827 - About 10 o'clock on Thusday the 5th inst. a fire broke out at the steam mill belongong to Mr. Nell, of Louth, which consumed a part of the roof and a quantity of oats.
August 1836 - William Nell, Louth was on the Provisional Committee of the Steam Communication between Boston and London.
July 1847 - 'Rapid', clipper schooner, 110 tons, launched from Mr. Nell's Shipyard, Louth. The property of Messrs. Allen and Nell designed for trade between Louth and London.
January 1851 - Messrs Allen & Nell published a document to show the high cost of shipping goods by rail because of changes in the rates. 'Steam versus Tide and Sail'.
June 1853 - Nell and Smith, Corn Market and River Head, Louth advertising the selling of Guano as a fertiliser.
October 1858 - The Sloop 'Kingston' owned by Mr. Nell, Louth commanded by Captain James Harrison aground and the loss of all crew and the captain's wife on Horsey beach.
'Queen' owned by Mr. Nell, Louth.
December 1865 - Executor of the late Mr. W. Nell of Louth sued for £16.19s.1d. by Mark Pearson, Shipbuilder, Goole for work on vessel 'Ocean'.
Loss of Louth Sloop - March 1898, 'Ebenezer', sloop belonging to Mr. A. McG. Nell (Captain Charles Cawkwell jnr) sank whilst entering Tetney for Louth. She had on board 40 tons of cake for Messrs R. J. Neil & Co. Ltd. and 15 tons of grain for Mr. Bryan Hall. The vessel and cargo estimated at a value of £600. The crew and Captain's family were rescued and landed at Grimsby.
Further reading on humber ferries visit http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66785
If you have any pictures or further information please email me.