December 1804 For sale by private contract. The Leasehold estate, situated near the River Head, in Louth aforsaid; consisting of a substatial new built brick and tiled dwelling house, with two low rooms, five chambers, back kitchen, stable, a spacious garden fronting the house, and other appurtenances. Also a piece of ground, with a dry-dock, adjoining to the above messuage, a boat shed, blacksmith's shop and other conveniences thetewto belonging; well adapted for the purpose of building and launching vessels upon, and where the above business has been very extensively carried on for several years last past. Further particulars to Mr. John Martin, Shipbuilder, Louth.
April 1816 whereas a Commission of Bankrupt is awarded and issued forth against John Martin of Gainsborough, in the county of Lincoln, ship-builder, dealer and chapman, and being declared a bankrupt, is hereby required to surrender himself to the Commisioners in the said Commission named, or the major part of them, on the fifteenth and sixteenth days of this instant April, and the eighteenth day of May next, at eleven 0'clock in the forenoon of each of the said days at the Saracen's Head Inn in the City of Lincoln, to make a full discovery and disclosure of his estate and effects; when and where the creditors are to come prepared to prove their debts and the second sitting to choose assignees and the last sitting thesaid bankrupt is required to finish his examination, and the creditors are to assent from the allowance of his certificate - All persons indebted to the said bankrupt, or who have any of his effects, are not to pay or deliver the same but to whom the Commissioners shall appoint, but give notice to Messrs. Longdill and Butterfield, solicitors, Gray's-Inn, London or Mr. Baldwin, solicitor Lincoln.
John & Henry Smith
November 1809, 'Trent' 461 tons .
July 1813, 'Hull Packet' Sloop. For the Gainsborough to Hull Passenger & Goods trade, 42 tons, 38 x 15 x 9 ft, Master Thomas Bell. For sale November 1813 at Gainsborough.
October 1813, 'Victoria' Fine Vessel, 750 tons launched.
A ship "The Moscow" launched at the Gainsborough shipyard of J.H.Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 12 Aug 1814, p3 column 2.
A brig "Sarah" launched at the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs J.H.Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 2 Dec 1814, p3 column 2. For a Scottish Company in Arbroath.
400 ton ship "Favourite" launched form Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 21 Feb 1817, p3 column 3.(117 tons 26 h.p.)
1818, 'Albion, 75 tons 24 h.p. ran between Gainsborough and Hull, built at Smith, Gainsborough, engines by Horsly Co.
August 1817, 'Prince of Cobourg' For sale 77 x 25 x 9 ft, 52 tons 24 h.p. 15th February 1820 sold to George Ward, Cowes, for £2,400 to run between Southampton and Cowes, built by Smith, Gainsborough, engines by Horsly Co. Fare was 2s 6d for the state cabin, 1s 6d for the fore cabin single trip.
February 1818 - 'Witham Etherington, 500 ton ship launched at Messrs Smith, Gainsborough . (ref: Stamford Mercury Newspaper.) March 1819 sailed for Riga, Captain Harrison.
1818, 'British Queen', 75 tons 20 h.p. ran between Gainsborough and Hull, built at Smith, Gainsborough, engines by Brunton, Birmingham. Launched 22nd December 1815
August 1818, 'Maria', Steam Tug 80 tons 24 h.p. used between Hull and Gainsborough built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, engines by Horsly Co. Capable of cargo of 60 to 80 tons, leaves Gainsborough every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Hull every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, Fares for passengers 2s 6d.
February 1819, New Ship, 280 tons, 82 x 26 x 20 ft for sale and ready for launching.
363 ton vessel launched from Gainsborough shipyard of Mr. H. Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 28 Feb 1823, p3 column 3.
A brig "The Henry" launched from Smith's Gainsborough shipyard. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 14 Jan 1825, p3 column 3.
A steam passenger vessel "The Mercury" launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Henry Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 15 Apr 1825, p3 column 3
A steam packet "The Bradford" launched at the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stam,ford Mercury 6 Jan 1826, p3 column 3.
A steam packet "The Dart " launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Smith. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 11 Aug 1826, p3 column 4.
August 1826. Steam Conveyance between Gainsborough and Hull in ome day, by Henry Smith, Wharfinger. Mr. Smith in returning thanks to his friends for their support, begs to state that his Steam Vessels (the first that were established on the Trent and Humber) continue to take the lead of all others on the said rivers, conveying goods to and from Hull and Gainsborough in the shortest time; and till very lately his Tug was the only steam vessel expressly adapted for the carriage of maerchandize. With the peculiar advantages of steam conveyance the public have long been aquainted and the merchants in Birmingham and its vicinity, who make shipments to the eastern parts of Scotland, as well as to Holland, Germany and Russia will now find Gainsborough to be a nearer, quicker and cheaper route than either Liverpool or London.
A steam packet "The Royal Charter" launched at Gainsborough for use as a ferry, 33 h.p. between Barton and Hull. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 31 March 1826, p3 column 2. August 1835 - To be sold by auction that well-known and substantially built boat the 'Royal Charter', now lying in the Junction Dock but lately used as a Ferry Boat between Hull and Barton, and which is offered for sale in consequence of the management of these Ferries having passed into other hands. The 'Royal Charter' has 78 feet of keel, and 18 feet of beam with 7 1/2 feet of Paddle-box. she was built by Mr. Smith of Gainsborough, and her engine (of 33 h.p.) by Messrs Overton & Sons, of Hull, expressly for these ferries. Her cabins are lofty and spacious and well adapted for the comfort and convenience of passengers, while her character as an excellent sea boat is so well established, that she maybe fairly considered to rank with the most useful vessels of her class. Further particulars may be known on application to the auctioneer or to Mr. William Parkinson, Waterside House, Barton.
A new packet "The Pelham" launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Smith & Co. for the Grimsby and Hull Steam Packet Co. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 22 Feb 1828, p3 column 3.
The 'Pheonix', Steam vessel built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, launched 2nd September 1831.
The 'Queen Adelaide', Steam vessel built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, launched 17th June 1831.
The 'Asia', Vessel built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, 418 tons for the India trade, owned by John Beadle & Co.& Holderness & Chiltern. 1833.
The 'Union', Steam Packet built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, launched 3rd June 1836.
June 1837 'Eclipse', Iron Steamer built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, 78 x 17 x 7 ft. 20 h.p. to ply between Lincoln and Boston.
The 'Ebor', Steamer Commanded by James Bell 1838. on the Hull, Goole, Selby and York run.
February 1840 'Queen', Schooner built at Henry Smith & Son, Shipyard, Gainsborough, 61 x 16 x 10 ft, 90 tons for the coastal trade Gainsborough and Newcastle. 1867 registered Ipswich for J. Matt, Captain A. Bowman.
1840 'Jupiter', Steam Schooner in connection with East Anglian Railway to Swaffam, Downham, Ely, Thetford and Cambridge runs weekly Gainsborough, Hull to Lynn.
August 1841 built Gainsborough - 'Mary Thompson' Barque, 100 x 28 x 18 ft, 339 tons, for Thompson, registered London, 1842 Captain Wooley.
June 1842 vessel launched for Mr. Sharp, Lincoln.
The 'Cambridge', Wooden Paddle Steamer, 141 tons, 47 h.p. engines by Overton & Wilson, Hull, launched about 1847. For the Gainsborough/Hull to Lynn trade, best cabin 10s 6d, second cabin 6s.
May 1847 'Sarah', Schooner for a Scottish Company in Arbroath.
'Columbine' Iron paddle steamer built by H. Smith and Sons of Gainsborough and launched in 16th May 1848 and was 118ft long, 15ft wide x 8ft and weighed 55 tons engines of 40 h.p. by Penn & Sons, Greenwich and Captain Robert Waterland is the Commander. Official no. 17413, owners Gainsborough United Steam Packet Company. (Certificate No. 243). Made first pleasure trip between Grimsby and Gainsborough in 1848. (ref: Stamford Mercury Newspaper.)(Navy List) 1871 Master Joseph Jackson.
Launched 26th May 1848 - The 'Harlequin', Iron Steam Packet built at Smith's Shipyard, Gainsborough, under the direction of Mr. Arnold. To run between Gainsborough and Hull for the Gainsborough Steam Packet Company, 130 x 15 ft, twin 30 h.p. engines, commanded by Captain W. Bass.
June 1849 - The 'Sheffield', Iron Paddle Steamer built at Messrs Smith & Sons Shipyard, Gainsborough, ordered by the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway Co. Ltd. Manchester for the Hull to New Holland run. 150 x 22 x 4ft and twin engines of 75 h.p. each engines by Messrs George & John Rennie, London.She is expected to reach speeds of 15 to 16 knots and make the crossing in less than 10 minutes.
'Atalanta' Iron Paddle Steamer of 121 x 15 x 8ft, 47 tons and engines of 40 h.p. Built in 1851 at Henry Smith & Sons, Gainsborough, engines fitted by Penn & Sons, Greenwich. Registered Grimsby 1880. Walter White on his travel aboard the ‘Isle of Axholme’ between Hull and Gainsborough in 1865 mentions “we met the ‘Atalanta’, one of the two steamers which trade daily between Gainsborough and Hull. Steamers were first put on the river in 1814. Before that date the trip by sailing vessels took from two to three days, and sometimes a week.” Official No. 17411, owned by Gainsborough United Steam Packet Company.(Certificate No. 241)(British Association). November 1851 In consequence of the damage done to the 'Atlanta' by the collision with the 'Newark', she has been sent to Hull for repairs. They were unable to get her upon the slip at Mr. Turner's ship-yard in Gainsborough. June 1885 Launched from Fidell's Shipyard, Gainsborough after undergoing general repairs and an addition of 20 ft in length. August 1899 - A merry crowd from Hull last night availed themselves of an opportunity of seeing Burton Stather by moonlight aboard the Gainsborough Steam Packet Company's 'Isle of Axholme'. Arriving back at the Corporation Pier about 11 pm. July 1901 At the annual Royal National Lifeboat institution event at Gainsborough the Steam Packet was going down the stream when one of the flotilla of rowing craft was caught by the paddle wheel and all four occupants thrown into the river. For a few moments a panic prevailed but the crew of the steamer picket up the rowers. 1910 /15 for East Coast Passenger Service Ltd. Hull. 1920/27 for William E. Lowery, Hull.
July 1905 - Special Excursions by Gainsborough United Steam Packet Co. Ltd. steamer 'Atalanta' leaving the Victoria Pier, Hull on Thursday and Saturday, July 20th and 22nd at 2.30 for Grimsby, Spurn and the coast, return 7. On Monday July 24th to Grimsby and Spurn (landing at Spurn about 3 hours) leaving Hull at 11, Grimsby at 12.30, returning from Spurn at 5 o'clock, fares to Grimsby 1s 6d, Spurn 1s 9d, including landing and embarking. On Wednesday July 26th to Grimsby and Skegness leaving Hull at 7am Grimsby at 9, returning from Skegness 4pm, Grimsby 7.30. Further particulars see bills, W. Gledhill, General Manager.
July 1905 - Moonlight Excursions. Tomorrow Wednesday July 19th 1905. Special Moonlight Trip on the upper Humber (unless prevented by weather, tide or other unforeseen circumstances) by the steamer 'Atalanta' leaving Victoria Pier, Hull at 7.15 pm arriving back at 9.15 pm Fares Second Class 9d, First Class 1s. Refreshments provided on board. W. Gledhill, General Manager.
June 1906 - Tommorrow Thursday and Saturday June 21st and 22nd 1906. Special Excursions to Burton Stather also Grimsby and Spurn, by the East Coast Passenger Service Ltd. Company's steamer 'Atalanta' or 'Isle of Axholme'. Return fares 1s 6d each Reserved seats on the bridge, 6d extra. Tickets issued on board the steamer. Refreshments provided on board. Also Grand sea excursion to Bridlington Quay or Scarborough Saturday June 23rd from Victoria Pier. Fares to Bridlington First Class 2s 6d Second class 2s. To Scarborough, First Class 3s, second Class 2s 6d.
R & W. Furley
July 1824 On Tuesday morning was launched a fine new Steam Vessel, 100 tons, called the 'Trent'intended for the conveyance of goods to and from Hull and for the purpose of towing the Gainsborough coasting vessels up and down the river, thereby greatley facilitating the transit of goods to and from the interior of the kingdom.
A Brig " The Newark" launched at the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs Furley. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 11 Feb 1825, p3 column 3
A Schooner "The Flora" launched at the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Furley. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 29 Jul 1825, p3 column 2.
A Brig "The Nottingham" launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Furley. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 12 Jan 1827, p2 column 4.
A Steam Ship "The Atlas" to carry goods and tow vessels from Gainsborough to Hull, launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Furley. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 14 Nov 1828, p3 column 4.
February 1831 'Royal William', Brig, 292 tons, November 1852 stranded at Bornholm whilst on a voyage from Hull to St. Petersburgh with Iron, 11 crew, owner William Priest.
1831 'Lord Nelson', Steam Schooner, commanded by Captain Smith/Captain Muir, 91 tons, twin 30 h.p. engines. For Gainsborough/Hull to Lynn route with goods and passengers. 1847 Captain Robert Wise, best cabin 10s 6d, second 6s. Average passage ten hours.
A Brig "The Rapid" launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Furley & Cross. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 11th Jan 1833, p3 column 4.
November 1838 New Conveyance between London and Nottingham via Hull, by the Humber Union Steam Company's Fine First-Class Steamer, Messers Furley's Tugs and Sutton's Boats. The Committee of the Humber Union Steam Company beg to inform Merchants, Grocers, Druggists and others, that their safe and powerful Steam Ships, 'Wilberforce', 'Vivid', and 'Water Witch', continue to leave St. Katherine's Wharf, London for Hull, three times a week viz. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at eight o'clock in the morning; and to meet the wishes of the trade, they have made arrangements with Messrs Furley and Sutton, to run their Steam Tugs and boats, to suit the arrival of the above Packets, by which they are enabled to deliver goods at Nottingham in five days from London. Freights are low, which may be known of the folowing agents: H. D. Pauling, Hull. Furley & Co. Gainsborough.
August 1839 For Sale. The fine Steam Schooner 'Forager', 128 tons, old measurement; has two Best Cabins and one Fore Cabin, two holds, and a very large Deck Room; her hull is in complete order, having recently been on the Patent Slip, and has now had a thorough overhaul; was built of the very best materials by Merrs Furley & Co. Gainsborough for themselves and a Company; hyaving been laid up some time, she was rebuilt in 1836 and Schooner rigged; is now getting in a new Boiler, Chimney etc made by the St, George Company, on the most improved principles; the engine is in the highest order, being all refitted, so that she is equal to a new vessel in all respects. The cylinder is 33 inches, the stroke 3 ft 6 inch, draws only 4 feet water round when coals and all are on board; carries upwards of 50 tons to sea and 70 tons in the rivers, drawing only about 6 feet water with the latter quantity. For further information apply to Robert Keddey Hull, July 24, 1839.
1841 A Brigantine "Princess Royal" 73 x 20 x 12 ft, 131 tons, for foreign trade, the first vessel registered Gainsboroough, launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Messrs. Furley. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 16th Apr 1841, p3 column 4. For B. Mason, official No.16074, September 1852 registered Hull, for the Hull to France trade. Captain W. Mellon 1860. 1865/76 for Benjamin Burnett Mason, Hull. 1879 for Alfred J. Harrison, Yarmouth.
June 1842 vessel launched .
On the 29th July 1845 at the Black Head Inn in Gainsborough, the warehousing premises to be sold by Auction, as the same were late in the occupation of Messrs Furley and used by them as a Bonding Warehouse.
February 1847 Schooner 'Mary Ann' it is nearly four years since any vessel of similar dimensions has been built in Gainsborough. 110 tons, for Lee & Co. Goole to Liverpool. Captain W. Burnitt. 1851 Captain Tucker for the Hull Baltic route. Captain G. Broadhead 1860.
September 1847 the wharf and premises on the Notts side of the Trent, opposite Gainsborough, formerly occupied by the Messrs Furley, have been puchased by the North Staffordshire Railway Company, who are making extensive improvements there. As the company intended to receive their goods at this wharf, considerable competion in the trade on the river Trent may be anticipated.
November 1851 Built by William Furley, Gainsborough - 'Sea Nymph' Wooden Screw Steamer, 127 x 19 x 10ft, 105 tons and 40 h.p. engines by J. Overton & Co., Hull. Official No 12422, November 1851 registered Gainsborough. 1865/70 owned by George Cross, Torworth, Notts. to ply between Gainsborough and Newcastle. 1880 owned by East Coast Steam Ship Co. Ltd. Boal Wharf, King's Lynn. (Certificate No. 75)(British Association) 1854 running between Hull and Newcastle. Captain C. Wise. Best cabin 6s, fore cabin 4s. 1882 registered London for Richard B. Roden, Strawberry Vale, Twickenham.
A new Iron Yacht built by W C Furley launched - owner Captain Hickman Bacon at Gainsborough. Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury 30th May 1856, p2 column 4.
Built Gainsborough 1856 - 'Ant' Iron Screw Steamer, October 1856 registered Gainsborough, official No. 17427, 73 x 13 x 5 ft, 24 tons, 14 h.p. 1870/80 for William & Robert L. Furley and Thomas Oldman, Hull. 1881 converted into a lighter.
October 1858 built Gainsborough - 'Bee' Iron Screw Steamer, official No.17430, registered Gainsborough, 93 x 16 x 7 ft, 47 tons, 20 h.p. 1865/80 for R. L. Furley, 6 Carlton Terrace, Hull. 1881 registered Hull for Richard L. Furley, 6 Wellington Street, Hull. 1900 for Richard Furley, Humber Dock Basin, Hull. 1910 for Richard Furley, 5 Salisbury Street, Hull. 1915/30 for Furley & Co. Ltd. East Anglian Buildings, Princes Dock Street, Hull.
1861 built Gainsborough - 'Voringen' Iron Screw Steamer, 106 x 16 x 9 ft, 85 tons, 30 h.p. 1867 for Bunchest & Co. registered Bergen for the Hull to Bergen trade, Captain J. Ibson.
June 1904 The death in London of Mr. Francis Furley of Messrs Furley & Co. Canal Carriers, Minerva Chambers, Hull. He went to give evidence against the Immingham Dock Bill. He resided at Sutton, aged 52 years and leaves a widow, three sons, and three daughters and Trustee of the Hull Savings Bank.
Robert Flower & Son, Gainsborough.
July 1824 Expeditious conveyance by Robert Flower and Son, of Gainsborough, General Wharfingers and Carriers who beg leave to return thanks to the various mercantile classes for the very liberal support they have experienced since their establishment of Sailing Packets, in connexion with the Aire and Calder Fly Boats of Selby, and further beg to announce that from their extensive connexions with all the Wool Marts in the counties of Lincoln, Derby, Nottingham, Rutland, Cambridge, Huntingdon, Northampton, Bedford, Buckingham, Stafford and Warwick they now convey wool regularly and expeditious to the West Riding at low rates. By this conveyance, wool, corn, malt, woad, hops, iron and other articles produced in the above named counties will be brought into the West Riding of Yorkshire as quickly as heretofore by land carriage and at one third of the expense.
May 1848 Increased Steam Communication between Custom House Quay, London and Flowers Wharf, Gainsborough, via Hull. In conexion with the Hull Steam Packet Company, appointed to sail from Custom House and Wool Quays, three times a week, say every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, at eight o'clock a.m. and to deliver at Flower's Wharf, Gainsborough, every Thursday, Saturday, and Monday Evening and return from Gainsborough on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
Messrs Fidell Brothers Ship-yard, Gainsborough.
Fidell & Sons Crow Garth, Gainsborough.
Jabez Fidell, Crowgarth, Gainsborough.
July 1868 built at Messrs Fidell Brothers Ship-yard - 'Richard and Emily' 'Richards and Emily' Schooner, official No. 60872, registered London, 88 tons, for Richard Mann, Knottingley. 1900 for George Henry Wilson, Triangle, Halifax. 1910 for Richard Earnshaw, 68 Marshland, Goole.
June 1885 Launched of the 'Atalanta' from Fidell's Shipyard, Gainsborough after undergoing general repairs and an addition of 20 ft in length.
On Thursday 18th May 1820 at Saunby, near Gainsborough, Mr. George Moody, ship-builder, to Hannah Lound, of Market Rasen.
In the 1851 Census he is living in Trinity Street and married to Rebecca from Lincoln and described as a shipwright aged 33 years. By 1861/1871 he is calling himself a Ship's carpenter.
A brig "Esther" launched at the Gainsborough shipyard of W & M Moody. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 30 Dec 1814, p3 column 2.
100 ton brig "The Friends Goodwill" launched from the Gainsborough shipyard of Moody & Co. Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury 22 Dec 1815, p3 column 2.
William & John Titterton, Stockwith, near Gainsborough.
March 1801 - For sale the hull of a new ship, now built in the shipyard of the following diensions, 61 x 22 x 14 ft. The ship is adapted for the coaling trade and any other where such a ship of her size is wanting.
October 1810 A fine ship of 400 tons, copper bottomed, 'Lord Wellington' for Messrs Hessletine and Godman of Hull.
March 1814 - For sale a new Brig, ready for launching, dimensions 64 x 20 x 10ft and measures about 110 tons.
April 1814 A very fine Brig 'John' registered 110 tons.
October 1817 To be sold by Auction. the Tithe-free Estate at West Stockwith, consisting of dwelling house and two cottages, blacksmiths, shop sheds, crane barn, together with extensive ship-yard adjoining the river Trent now in occupation of Messrs William and John Titterton.
August 1850 - On Tuesday afternoon, a tremendous storm of thunder and lightning burst upon the neighbourhood of Misterton and West Stockwith. At West Stockwith, the electric fluid entered the house of Mr. William Titterton, boat builder, by going down the chimney in the sitting room, in which the wife and children were sitting. The children escaped unhurt, but we are sorry to state the mother was killed instantaneously. Considerable damage was done to the house, the chimney was knocked down the tiles, and half the roof blown off by the force of the lightning. The chamber window was broken and the door panels split. Mrs Titterton has left a family of four or five children to lament her untimely end.
Messrs Randall and Tonges, Stockwith, near Gainsborough.
July 1804 - A fine new Brig, just ready for launching, 62 x 23 x 16 ft.
William Walton, Stockwith, near Gainsborough.
March 1807 - A fine new vessel now upon the stocks, nearly finished and may be launched in a fortnight, 79 x 26 x 18 ft.
March 1812 New Ship for sale, 94 x 12 x 6 ft .
May 1934 Steel Motor Lighter, 3 years old for sale, 75 x 15 x 7 ft , can carry about 140 ton, 100 h.p. Krombout engine .
Joseph Spencer Compton Watson
February 1830. The Creditors who have proved their debts under a Commision of Bankrupt, awarded and issued forth against John Tripp Watson, of Gainsborough, in the County of Lincoln, Shipwright, Dealer and Chapman, are desired to meet the Assignees of his Estate and effects, on the twenty-second of February, 1830 at eleven o'clock in the forenoon at the King's Coffee-House, in the town of Kingston-upon-Hull, in order to assent to or dissent from the said Assignees commencing, prosecuting, or defending any suitor suits at Law, or in Equity, concerning the said Bankrupt's Estate and Effects, or to the compounding, submitting to arbitration, or otherwise agreeing any matter or thing relating thereto and on other special affairs. Haire, Holden & Galloway, solicitors.
Built Gainsborough 1890 'Ouse' by J.S. Watson a Steel Towing Barge, official No. 95820, 87 x 18 x 7 ft, 54 tons, 20 h.p. 1890 for for T.F. Wood, 57 Skeldergate, York. 1915/20 for Cecil E. Wood, 57 Skeldergate, York. 1930/40 for T.F. Wood & Co Ltd. York.
Sloop 'Kama' built 1903 as a steel wherry for the Norfolk Broad trade but steel wherries where not popular so rigged as a sloop. Captained by Arthur Schofield initially and was used by Watson’s to carry steel plates for shipbuilding at Gainsborough and is still afloat in Brake, River Weser, near Bremenhaven, Germany renamed 'Luise'. (Information from George H.) for Joseph S. Watson, Beckingham, Notts.1920 for William S. Watson, Middlefield, Gainsborough. 1940 for William S. Watson, Orchard House, Beckingham, Doncaster.
Built Gainsborough 1907 'Ellinor of York' Sailing Vessel, official No. 129246, registered Hull, 68 tons, 1910 for Thomas F. Wood, Skeldergate, York. 1915/20 for Cecil E. Wood, 57 Skeldergate, York. 1930/40 for Thomas F. Wood & Co Ltd, York.
1914 built Gainsborough - 'Bishopthorpe' Keel, official No.136240, registered Hull 1931, 92 x 17 x 7 ft, 77 tons, 1920 for Cecil E. Wood, Albion Wharf, Skeldergate, York, 1930/40, 1940 motor added, 95 b.h.p. for T.F. Wood & Co. Ltd. 57 Skeldergate, York.
Built Gainsborough 1914 'Bustardthorpe' Keel registered Hull, official No. 136241, 92 x 17 x 7 ft, 77 tons, 1920 for Cecil E. Wood, Albion Wharf, Skeldergate, York. 1930 for T.F. Wood & Co Ltd. York. 1931 reregistered Hull and motor of 95 b.h.p. added.
1st September 1917 – ‘Mr. Joseph Spencer Compton Watson, Shipbuilder, of Beckingham, Gainsborough, died on Thursday at the age of 72 years. About 25 years ago he founded the present shipyard on the Notts side of the River Trent, after a vain endeavour to secure suitable land on the Lincolnshire side at Gainsborough. Mr. Watson, who was a Justice of the Peace, was a Liberal and a Churchman.’
May 1941 - 'Empire Ford' Motor Coaster, 167108, 325 gross tons, Completed in September 1941. Ran aground on 10 January 1943 off Seahouses, Northumberland and abandoned the next day. Refloated and anchored, but broke free and drifted and grounded off the Farne Islands and sank. Refloated on 27 February 1943 and towed to Warkworth harbour. Arrived at the River Tyne on 6 March 1943 under tow for repairs. Sold in 1943 to the Dutch Government and renamed 'Noorderhaven'. Sold in 1947 to Société Navigation d'Import et d'Export, Dakar, Senegal and renamed 'Saint Honorat'. New diesel engine fitted in 1951. Sold in 1965 to D. Vassilatos, Greece and renamed 'Korali'. 1966 for K. Savva Brothers, Greece and renamed 'Maria S'. Sold in 1967 to P & M Gogis, Greece and renamed 'Sofia Gogi'. Sold to new Greek owners in 1975 and renamed 'Konstantinos Gaviotis'. 1976 for G Atsalis & Co, Greece and renamed 'Agios Georgios'.
September 1941 - 'Empire River' Motor Coaster, official No.167109., 325 gross tons. Completed in December 1941. For Ministry of War Transport. Allocated in 1943 to the Dutch Government and renamed 'Oosterhaven'. 1946 for M. R. Couton, France and rename 'Jean-Marc'. 1947 for André Richard, France and renamed 'Jean-Marc Richard'. 1950 for Hindlea Shipping Co Ltd, Cardiff and renamed 'Marshlea'. 1952 for F. A. Ashmead & Son Ltd, Bristol and renamed 'Peter Leigh'. 1956 diesel engine fitted. 1965 for Carbo Centre SA, France. Converted to a sand carrier and renamed 'Carbo-Centre'.
June 1942 - 'Empire Meadow' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport, official No. 167128, 242 gross tons. Completed in August 1942. 1946 for J Cooper, Belfast and renamed 'Meadow'. Fitted with a new diesel engine in 1963. 1969 for R. & J. H. Rea Ltd, then sold in 1970 to Cory Ship Towage Ltd. 1973 for Maritime Commercial Enterprises, Greece and renamed 'Hector'. 1978 for H. N. Spiliopoulos, Greece. Scrapped in December 1978 at Perama, Greece.
December 1942 - 'Empire Ben' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 167142, 242 gross tons. Completed in March 1943. 1948 for Leith Salvage & Towage Co. Ltd. and renamed 'E. Nicholson'. 1951 for Melbourne Harbour Trust Commissioners, Melbourne and renamed 'Victor'. 1957 for Geelong Harbour Trust Commissioners, Geelong. 1968 for R. J. Pherson, Melbourne and then sold to J H Nicholls, Melbourne in 1970.
June 1943 - 'Empire Mustang' Steam Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No. 169308. 242 gross tons. Completed in August 1943. 1947 for Tees Towing Co .Ltd. and renamed 'Dundas Cross'. 1958 for Newport Screw Towing Co. Ltd. and renamed 'Duneagle'. 1965 for Tsavliris Ltd, Greece and renamed 'Nisos Syros'. 1975 for Maritime Commercial Enterprises, Greece. Scrapped in 1976 in Greece.
July 1944 - 'Empire Paul' Steam Tug, 242 gross tons, official No. 180286. Completed in September 1944. Sold in 1946 to R & J H Rea Ltd. and renamed 'Queensgarth'. 1949 for France, Fenwick Tyne & West Co Ltd and renamed 'Beamish'. On 18 October 1949, she was towing aircraft carrier 'HMS Albion' in company with tugs 'Hendon' and 'George V' from Jarrow to Rosyth when 'Albion' was in collision with 'Empire Wapping' off the Longstone Lighthouse. 'Empire Wapping' sank, 'Albion' had a hole in her stern and started to sink. The three tugs attempted to beach her near St Abbs Head but were hampered when 'Hector' became disabled when a tow rope wrapped around her propellor. Tug 'HMS Restive' was sent from Rosyth to assist and destroyer 'HMS St James' arrived and took 'Hector' on tow until her crew managed to clear the propellor. 'Albion' was successfully berthed at Rosyth with 5 feet (1.5 m) of water in her engine room. 'Beamish' represented the British tug fleets at the Coronation Review at Spithead in 1953. Fitted with a new diesel engine in 1964. June 1970 for R Mellenger, St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador and renamed 'R. Mellenger'. November 1970 for Industrial Insulators Ltd, Canada and renamed 'Beamish'. 1973 for Western Engineering Service Ltd, Canada and renamed 'Thunder Cape'. 1986 for Great Lakes Marine Contracting Co, Canada.
September 1944 - 'Empire Alfred' Steam Ocean Tug for Ministry of War Transport. Official No.180307, 242 gross tons. Completed in October 1944. 1946 for the French Government and renamed 'Muscle'.1951 for Les Abeilles Compagnie des Remorquage Sauvignon, Le Havre and renamed 'Abeille No. 22'. Scrapped at Le Havre in June 1969.
March 1946 - 'Empire Lucy' Steam Tug, 242 gross tons, official No. 181261. Completed in June 1946. 1962 for Impresa Marittima Augustea, Italy and renamed 'Ohnina.' Transferred to the Marina Militare in 1972.
Messrs. Lister & Trenery's Shipyard, Trent Bank, Gainsborough.
June 1855 the ship-yard formerly occupied by Messrs Henry Smith and Son is again likely to be the scene of considerable enterprise. It has been taken by Messrs. Lister and Frenery, the former engineer with Messrs. Stephenson in their extensive railway works, the latter was employed in the construction of the Trent bridge and many similar structures both well and honourably known in this neighbourhood.
April 1858 This week have laid down three fishing smacks, the first, perhaps, that have been attempted to be built in this place. They are all for Hull fishing smack owners.
August 1858 'Valiant' Fishing Smack the property of Mr. Hellyer, Hull. 51 x 17 x 9 ft, 60 tons.
August 1858 'Undaughted' Fishing Smack the property of Mr. James Westcott, Hull. 51 x 17 x 9 ft, 60 tons.
August 1858 3rd Fishing Smack due to be completed. 51 x 17 x 9 ft, 60 tons.
1860 - 'Garibaldi', 108 ton Schooner official No. 28269, 91 x 22 x 11 ft, registered Goole, Captain R. Neale. 1880/90 registered London and owned by Thomas Ramsey, Goole,. October 1889 Captain Ramsey owner, Spence Master from Penteven for Dordt with china clay, has foundered off Schonwen, on the Dutch coast. The crew were landed at Helvoet.
Trenery's Shipyard, Trent Bank, Gainsborough.
February 1860 A fine English Oak vessel, 57 x 22 x 12 ft, for further particulars apply Edward T. Trenery, Shipbuilder, Gainsborough.
A two masted Schooner 'Success', 87 x 22 x 12 ft. 250 tons was launched at Trenery's Yard Gainsborough on April 1860.
November 1861 - 'Ingomar' Smack, official No. 43805, registered Hull, for Mr. George Wilkinson, Hull, 68 x 17 x 10 ft, 44 tons. 1870 for J. W. Webb, 44 William Street, Hull.
A smack 'The Rambler' was launched at Trenery's Yard Gainsborough on 30th January 1863.
1864 - 'John & Mary', 64 x 18 x 8 ft, 80 ton Schooner official No. 47127, registered Goole and in 1867/90 owned and Captained by John Hunt, Knottingley. For the Hull coastal trade.
Trent & Humber Shipbuilding Company, Trent Bank, Gainsborough.
January 1864. Trent and Humber Ship-Building Company Limited. Incorporated under the Joint Companies Act 1862, with limited liability. Capital, £50,000 in 500 shares of £10 each, with power to increase. Deposit 10s per share and 10s on allotment. Calls not to exceed £1 per share at intervals of not less than three months.
Prospectus. The objects of this company are to supply in part the great and increasing demand for Iron Ships and Steamer. The Port of Gainsborough has advantages and facilities equal to if not superior to any Port in the Kingdom for the construction of vessels of a limited tonnage, from its situation on the banks of the River Trent, and its close proximity to and the cheap and ready communication with the Midland Iron and coal fields of the Kingdom. There is water every spring tides for vessels drawing from twelve to thirteen feet.
The advantages are, the low price of labour, in a business in which there is at present no competition, the moderate rent of business premises, and the sheltered position of the Town of Gainsborough for carrying on the works of Iron Ship-building etc.
It is proposed to commence the building of Iron and Steel Vessels to carry out the manufacture of marine engines, boilers and machinery connected therewith, respectively, and also the repairing of vessels and the engines, boilers and machinery connected therewith, for which latter purpose the Company will rent, or purchase a piece of land on the Humber, upon which the necessary slips plant and works may be erected.
Premises are now offered at Gainsborough, on most advantageous and reasonable terms, capable for building eight vessels at once, where a ship-building business has been carried on for upwards of half a century and where vessels of 600 tons register have been launched. There is already a Saw Mill and other convenient Machinery and plant available for commencing business forthwith.
The Directors have received estimates made by competent persons, from which they are enabled to state that there is every prospect of a net profit of 10 to 15 per cent. The Directors will proceed with the undertaking as soon as sufficient capital is subscribed, but if no allotment is made, the deposit will be returned in full.
September 1864 'The Lincolnshire' was launched for Messrs Baily & Leetham & Company, Hull. Official No. 51229, 202 x 28 x19 ft, 898 tons, 80 h.p. For the Baltic trade.
September 1864 'The Ship No 2' was allowed to be finished before the company was wound up.
September 1864 'The Plynlymmon' was allowed to be finished before the company was wound up. Bought by the Cambrian Steam Packet Company. Official No. 17782 registered Liverpool for John Vernon, 207 ton, 50 h.p. Captain E.K. Randlesome master and trading between Liverpool, Plymouth, Torquay and the Channel Islands.
December 1865 . A petition for winding up the company was filed in 21st July 1865 and in December adjudication upon claims of creditors was held.
A Steam Yacht 'The Lynx' was launched at Hardwick's Yard, Gainsborough on 23rd March 1866, official No. 44918, 78 x 12 x 6ft, 18 ton, 16h.p. 1868 by R. R Dixon, Holton, Lincs. 1880 owned by Augustus G, Murray, Houslow, Middlesex. 1881 sold foreign.
November 1905 The Gainsborough Chamber of Commerce and other tradesmen have decided to purchase a light-draught paddle steamer for the purposes of utilising the Trent for the conveyance of passenger traffic.At a meeting on Monday night it was decided to form a syndicate in order to caary out the purchase and to establish a limited company to be called 'The Gainsborough Traders' Packet Company.' The share capital is to be £3,000 of which £1,000 only will be necessary as a first call. The experimental boat will carry 350 passengers. Three-fourths of the share capital required as a commencement has been subscibed. Mr G. C. Morbin is the secretary.
Ship Builders in Pigot's Directory 1828
Capes John, Bridge Street.
Furley Richard and William, Trent Port Ship Yard.
Smith Henry, Lord Street.
Watson John T, (boat) Morton.
Ship Builders in Gainsborough Directory 1856
Furley Wm, Cross (Iron) Lea Road.
Lister and Trenery, and Saw Mills, Crowgarth.
Moody Wm. Trent Port; h Willoughby Street.
Shuttleworth Joseph, Bridge Street.
Morton, near Gainsborough
R. B. Wake , timber merchant ship-builder and ship owner. - 'The European Magazine'
1829 built Morton, Lincs - 'Chance' Sloop, official No.12706, February 1839 registered Hull, 36 tons, 1865/72 for Anthony Read, Flixbrough Stather, Brigg.
Watson's Shipyard, Beckingham, near Gainsborough
Shipyard founded 1889 by Mr. Joseph Spencer Compton Watson.
1893 built Beckingham - 'Alpha' Sloop, official No.102923, registered Hull, 64 tons, for Joe Day, 63 Reform Street, Hull.
1896 built Beckingham - 'Andrew' Barge, official No.105838, registered London, 64 tons, for Andrew R. McKenzie, Cape Town, South Africa.
1897 built Beckingham - 'Warwick' Barge, official No.108244, registered London, 86 tons, 1915 for the Thames Steam Tug & LIghterage Co. Ltd. London.
1897 built Beckingham - 'Eland' Barge, official No.108173, registered London, 65 tons, for W. G. & W. Soper, London.
1897 built Beckingham - 'Lincoln' Barge, official No.108181, registered London, 86 tons, for the Thames Steam Tug & Lighterage Co. Ltd. London.
1897 built Beckingham - 'Chester' Barge, official No.108182, registered London, 86 tons, for Thames Steam Tug & Lighterage Co. Ltd. London.
1908 built Beckingham - 'Trent No.1' official No.128086, registered Hull, 65 tons, for Thomas Johnson, the Maples, New Balderton, Newark.
1908 built Beckingham - 'Trent No.2' official No.128087, registered Hull, 65 tons, for Trent Navigation Co, Newark.
1908 built Beckingham - 'Trent No.3' official No.128096, registered Hull, 65 tons, for Trent Navigation Co, Newark.
1908 built Beckingham - 'Trent No.4' official No.128097, registered Hull, 65 tons, for Trent Navigation Co, Newark.
1908 built Beckingham - 'Trent No.5' official No.128098, registered Hull, 65 tons, for Trent Navigation Co, Newark.
1908 built Beckingham - 'Trent No.6' official No.128099, registered Hull, 65 tons, for Trent Navigation Co, Newark.
1944 - 'Vic 54' (Victualling Inshore Craft) Steamer, official No.166640, November registered Grimsby, 81 x 20 ft, 52 tons, for the Admiralty.
1945 - 'Vic 55' Steamer, official No.166641, January registered Grimsby, 81 x 20 ft, 52 tons, for the Admiralty.
1945 - 'Vic 97' Steamer, official No.166642, October registered Grimsby, 81 x 20 ft, 52 tons, for the Admiralty.
1945 - 'Vic 98' Steamer, official No.166643, December registered Grimsby, 81 x 20 ft, 52 tons, for the Admiralty.
Shipyard closed May 1962.
Other ships built at Gainsborough but shipyard unknown.
1797 built Gainsborugh - 'Alexander' Brig, Captain Young, 153 tons, 1799 for Adam & Co.
1804 built Gainsborough - 'Henry' Copper Fastened and Coppered in 1808 and well constructed vessel. December 1811 for sale, her stores are abundant and good with new sailsand provisions for 15 months, lying at the Ordnance Wharf, Woolwich.
The 'Lord Wellington', ship launched 5th October 1810.
1811 built Gainsborough - 'Trent' Snow, 250 tons, fitted up for a voyage to the North Pole from whence she has recently returned. Now lying in Limehouse Dock, George Fife, Commander.
The 'Leeds', 150 ton ship launched 31st March 1815.
The 'Rambler', 250 ton Brig launched 16th June 1815.
P.S. 'Brittania' was built in Gainsborough,about 1816 to operate on the Portsmouth to Ryde route. This was a rather unsuccessful steam power experiment that was quickly withdrawn from service.
The 'Witham Etherington', 500 ton ship launched 27th February 1818.
1821 built Gainsborough - 'Rachel' Brig, 92 tons, November 1852 sunk Hasbro' Sands on voyage from Sunderland to Harwich with coals, 5 crew, owner W. E.McKenzie.
1823 built Gainsborough - 'Chieftain' Barque, 361 tons, for Sweeting, Captain McClelland.
The 'Flying Eagle', Steam Packet launched May 1824, from the Yard near the Trent Port Inn, Gainsborough for the Hull to Gainsborough trade.
The 'Trent', Steam Ship launched 2nd July 1824.
September 1825 'Fancy' Sloop registered Hull, 75 tons burthen,for sale by auction 11th February 1830 at the King's Coffe House, Hull. The vessel is well adapted for Foreign or coasting trade. Thomas Austen late Master.( J. Farrier, Master, owner J. Watson 1827/30)
1832 built Gainsborough - 'Herald' Schooner, 72 tons, for Cook and Company.
The 'Asia', 400 ton vessel launched 8th February 1833.
1834 built Gainsborough - 'Dauntless' Ship, official No.12702, registered Hull, 433 tons, for Beadle & Co. Hull. December 1837 arrived Falmouth from Bengal for London, 125 days passage. July 1839 from London off Scilly with troops, strong winds. October 1842 Insolvent Debtor heard at Kingston-upon-Hull. John Hornsey Shepherd, Master Mariner, being Master of the Ship Dauntless, of Hull, formerly lying at the New Jetty in London Dock, London and himself lodging with Mrs. Haddon, Widow, Lodging House Keeper in Great Hermitage Street, London aforesaid, afterwards on a trading voyage in the said ship, as Master to Sidney, Sowrabay, Batavia, Cowes and Antwerp, afterwards lodging with Mr, Rugless, Shoemaker, of No.4, Crombie Place, Commercial Road, East London, Master of the said ship and the said ship then lying in the West India Docks, London, afterwards lodging at the same place afterwards residing at Mr. Robert Shepherds, No.12, King Street, Sculcoates, Hull, afterwards lodging at Mrs. Elizabeth Hugall's, Wine and Spirit Merchant, No.44 Queen Street, Scarborough, afterwards residing at the said Mr. Robert Shepherd's, No.12 King Street aforesaid, afterwards loding with the said Mr. Rugless at No.4 Crombie Place aforesaid, and late residing at the said Mr. Robert Sheherd's at No.12, King Street aforesaid, Master Mariner out of employment. 1860 Captain Toogood. May 1852 for sale built at Gainsborough in 1834 for the use of the present owners, in 1847 was restored for seven years, is copper fastened and now sheathed with Muntz's yellow metal and overhauled in Messrs. Fetcher's dry dock. Now lying in the St. Katharine Dock. Lost January 1863.
The 'Eclipse', Iron Steam Boat intended to ply between Lincoln and Boston, launched 2nd June 1837.
1837 built Gainsborough - 'Sisters' Schooner, 64 x 20 x 10 ft, 106 tons, for W. Nance, registered London, Captain E. Kestell 1860.
1838 built Gainsborough - 'Saracen' Schooner, 86 tons, for J. Winspear, Captain J. Montague.
1840 'Prince Albert', Schooner (Official No.358) 69 tons, 1851 registered Hull and 1865 registered Goole and owned by W. K. Taylor, Swinefleet. 1870 for Edward Walton, Goole., 1880 for Joe W. Craven, Goole .
1840 built Glanford - 'Sisters' Sloop, official No.17415, May 1854 registered Gainsborough, 45 tons, Wrecked 18th January 1860 at Bexhill carrying stone from Portland to London, 4 crew saved, owner Robert Audus.
The 'Agenoria', 41 ton Dandy official No. 15716, 1880/90 registered Hull and owned by Robert Gell, Barton on Humber, built 1842.
May 1845 - 'Swallow' official No.670, registered Gainsborough, 34 tons, March 1851 arrived Stockton, Captain Lee from Yarm to Hartlepool, in coming down the river, struck a rock and sank, with the help of pumps and steam tug has been brought here in safely. May 1851 arrived London, Captain Lee. July 1851 arrived Wisbeach.1860 registered Lynn.
1845 - 'Mary' official No.17425, May 1845 registered Gainsborough, 46 tons, lost July 1864.
1846 - 'William Burkhill' or 'William Burkill' official No.4792, registered Gainsborough, 45 tons, Lost January 1868. 1865 registered Goole for Joseph Gilleard, Garthorpe, Lincs.
1846 built Lincoln - 'John and Mary' or 'John & Mary' Sloop, official No.17416, November 1846 registered Boston, 37 tons, 1865 for William Butter, Garthorpe. 1870 registered Gainsborough for Stephen Barley, Mariner, Garthorpe. 1880 registered Hull for Thomas Spencer, Ship Owner, Crowle.
August 1847 - 'Patience' official No.7697, 1858/61 registered Gainsborough, 36 tons, 1862 registered Hull for Matthew Beacock, Winteringham. January 1853 arrived Cotton's Wharf, London. February 1861 sailed Sandwich for Gainsborough, Captain Wake.
1847 - 'Louisa' official No.17424, October 1847 registered Gainsborough, 41 tons, lost 1864.
New Steamer launched 6th July 1849.
1851 built Gainsborough - 'Rambler' Iron Sloop, 51 tons, January 1852 sunk off the Dudgeon whilst on a voyage from Ipswich to Goole, 4 crew, owner Henry E. Smith.
The 'Kate', 42 ton Sloop official No. 26592 built 1852, June 1852 registered Goole, 1865 registered London for Thomas Honeychurch, Mark Lane, London. 1870/80 registered Goole for M.T. Sculpholme, Wainfleet, Lincs, 1890 John Heanley, Croft, Lincs.
1852 - 'Duncannon' steamer, official No. 5571, registered Hull, 34 tons.
1852 - 'Pandora' official No.542, June 1852 registered Gainsborough, 116 tons, 1863 registered Middlesborough.
1854 built by Thoburn & Grant, North Shields- 'Fury' Wooden Paddle Steamer, official No.10167, December 1854 registered Shields, for Messrs Tweedy, 72 x 14 x 8 ft, 19 tons, 25 h.p. Rebuilt 1858 74 x 16 x 8 ft, 30 h.p. 1859 registered Goole, for Joseph Burton, Goole. 1865/70 registered Gainsborough for Richard Guest Rainford, Hull.
1856 - 'Eagre' Cutter, official No. 17426, 1865 registered Greenock, 28 tons, 1865 for Andrew A. Rankin, Greenock. 1870 /74 for James McBride, Glasgow. 1875/89 registered Maldon for John Albert Copland, Chelmsford.
August 1856 - 'Excelsior' Sloop, official No.17428, registered Gainsborough, 39 tons, for William Branworth, Thomas Lister, Edward T. Trenery. 1870/2 for William Bramworth, Althorpe, Lincoln. 1874 for George Cook, Garthorpe. (George Cook married Mariner born Garthorpe, Hannah his wife born Amcotts, Ann Daughter born Garthorpe, John Son born Garthorpe, Sarah J. Daughter born Garthorpe. April 1871 at Cottons Wharf, River Thames. April 1891 still master of Keel 'Excelsior' with wife and grandaughter aboard off Keadby of Thorne. Previous vessels April 1861 'Jno' of Goole, April 1881 'Thomas' Keel of Thorne)
1858 'Undaunted' Yawl (Official No. 22140) 41 tons. Registered Dartmouth and in 1880 owned by Alfred Fisher, Yarmouth.
February 1858 built Gainsborough - 'William and Hannah' Ketch, official No.17429, registered Gainsborough, 55 tons, November 1871 stranded on Bodicar Rocks, bound for Dundee from Southampton with oak bark, 3 crew, owned by William Farmery, Goole.
The 'Ellen & Ann', 43 ton Smack official No. 27974, 1880 registered Hull and owned by William Askham, Hornsea, built 1859.
1861 - 'Aberystwith' Iron Screw Steamer built in Gainsborough official No. 28993 in 1861. 1867/70 for W.S. Crealock, Ipswich/London, 122 x 17 x 9 ft, 40 h.p. April 1867 For sale by Auction by H.E. Mosss & Co, Liverpool, 137 tons gross, 98 tons net, built Gainsborough in 1861 specially for present owner, steams at 10 knots on consumption of 5 tons per day, carries 240 tons dead weight, has neat cabin for first class passengers, boilers new in 1866. 5th April 1869 collided with Steamer 'Sheldrake' in the Liffey. May 1877 owned by Aberystwith and Cardigan Bay Steam Packet Co., in court for towing and grounding Schooner 'Sarah Ellen' which was damaged in storms whilst heading to Plymouth from Belfast. 27th Jun 1878 Llanelli to Londonderry with coal, wrecked Skullmartin Reef off Ballywalter ; crew saved.
1864 built Gainsborough - 'John and Mary' Schooner, offical No.47127, June 1864 registered Goole, 79 tons, 1865/70 for John Hind, Knottingley. 1880/90 for John Hunt, Knottingley.1900 for John Holmes, 1 Keber Terrace, Gainsborough. 1910 for Frederick Fish, Adam Street, Goole.
1865 built Gainsborough - 'Quanza' or 'Yorkshire' Iron Screw Steamer, official No.53271, registered Hull, 1006 tons, 150 h.p. May 1872 stranded East London whilst loading wool, 30 crew, owned by William Bailey.
1867 built Gainsborough - 'Fanny' Iron Screw Steamer, official No.44920, registered Gainsborough, 40 x 8 x 4 ft, 5 tons, 5 h.p. 1870 for William Rudd, Grimsby. 1871 registered Hull for Walter Samuel Bailey, Hull. 1874/80 for David Gullon Pinkney, Sunderland.
1869 'Rescue', Schooner (Official No.60920) 132 tons registered London and owned by Joseph Weatherall, Knottingley (1880/90).
'Martha & Sarah', Official No.6626 56 tons owned by Anthony Read, Flixborough(1868).
'Morpeth', Official No.4905 48 tons owned by Henry Curtis, Gainsborough (1868).
1871 built Seacombe - 'Sirex' Yawl, official No.58891, June 1871 registered Gainsborough, 60 tons, 1872/80 for Sir Hickman B. Bacon, Bart, Thonock Hall, Near Gainsborough. 1890 registered London for Edward Armitage, R.A. St. John's Wood, London. 1900 for Robert Arnot, Bloomsbury Square, London. 1910 for William Rice, 49 Cranbury Avenue, Southampton.
1873 built Gainsborough - 'Dolly Varden' Wooden Screw Steamer, official No. 58892, registered Gainsborough, 73 x 15 x 7 ft, 33 tons, 20 h.p. for Edmund B. Liebert, South Kensington.
1877 built Louth - 'Sarah Ann' Barge/Sloop, official No.58893, registered Gainsborough, 45 tons, 1880 for Richard Cook, Ferry. 1890 registered Grimsby for David Cook, 5 Villa Place, Hessle Road, Hull. 1900 for William Mitchell, Spiree Street, Groves, Hull. 1910 registered Hull for John Jackson, 36 Witham, Hull and George H. Stonehouse, Westbourne House, Princes Avenue, Hull.
1885 'J.W. Haylock, Ketch (Official No.91510) 85 tons registered Grimsby and owned by William C. Norminton, New Clee (1890).
November 1885 'Rose of Sharon, Ketch (Official No.92800) 86 tons registered Grimsby and owned by Richard Winterflood, Hull (1890).
1887 'W. Alford Green, Wooden Ketch Rigged Fishing Vessel (Official No.94044) 77 x 21 x 11 ft, 83 tons, registered Grimsby. 1888 owned jointly by Mr. John Frederick Earle, New Clee and Mr. Charles William Little, Grimsby. 3rd November 1888 whilst on a fishing trip on the Hans Holman fishing grounds she grounded at Sandlemere, Withersea, George Denny, the skipper, and crew got onshore and the vessel later towed to Grimsby for repair. Owned by John W Haylock, Grimsby (1890).
1889 built Gainsborough - 'Sarah' Sloop, official No.116090, registered Hull, 54 tons, for John L. Cook, Owston Ferry.
1895 built Gainsborough - 'Ida' official No. 124763, registered Hull, 52 tons, 1900 for Rishworth, Ingleby & Lofthouse Ltd. The Swan Flour Mills, Hull. 1915/20 for Arthur Henry Moxon, 3 Regent Square, Sykes Street, Hull.
1895 built Gainsborough - 'Toto' official No.124760, registered Hull, 52 tons 1915 for George Middleton, 59 Caroline Place, Hull.
1895 built Gainsborough - 'Leetham's Gertude' official No.160083, October registered Hull, 57 tons, 1940 renamed 'Serial' converted to motor, Steel, 76 x 15 x 6 ft, 70 b.h.p. for Tom Fletcher, 21 High Street, Hull.
1895 built Gainsborough - 'Leetham's Constance' official No.160081, October 1927 registered Hull, 113 tons, 1940 for Spillers Ltd, London.
1895 built Gainsborough - 'Leetham's Ethel' official No.160082, October 1927 registered Hull, 114 tons, 1940 for Spillers Ltd, London.
1899 built Gainsborough - 'Leetham's Kingfisher' official No.160084, October registered Hull, 54 tons, 1940 for Tom Fletcher, 21 High Street, Hull.
1896 built Gainsborough - 'York' Barge, official No. 105881, registered London, 82 tons, 1900/20 for Thames Steam Tug Co. Ltd. London.
1897 built Gainsborough - 'Integrity' Keel, official No.110741, registered Hull, 79 tons, for George Johnson jnr, West Stockwith. 1920 for John J. Thomlinson, 28 South Parade, Thorne. 1940 for John J. Thomlinson, 70 Birklands Drive, Ings Road, Hull.
1899 'Sark, Lighter (Official No.110142) 79 tons registered London and owned by Jesse Jacob, Deptford (1900/40)
1899 - 'Ely' Lighter, official No. 110133, registered London, 81 tons 1900/20 for the Thames Steam Tug & Lighterage Co. Ltd. London.
1899 built Gainsborough - 'Neva' Barge, official No.110132, registered London, 57 tons, for the Thames Steam Tug & Lighterage Co. Ltd. London.
1903 - 'Expedition' official No. 117545, registered Yarmouth, 57 tons, for Yare & Waveney Lighter Co. Ltd. Norwich. 1920 for James W. Cook & Co. Ltd. London.
1903 built Gainsborough - 'Handy' official No. 117550, registered Yarmouth, 60 tons, for Yare & Waveney Lighter Co. Ltd. Norwich. 1920 for James W. Cook, & Co. Ltd. London.
1903 built Gainsborough - 'Industry' official No. 117547, registered London, 60 tons, 1910 for Yare & Waveney Lighter Co. Ltd. Norwich. 1915/40 for Charles A. Babcock, Iron Bridge Wharf, Blackwall.
1903 built Gainsborough - 'Jack of all Trades' official No. 117548, registered Yarmouth, 60 tons, for Yare and Waveney Lighter Co. Ltd. Norwich. 1920 for James W. Cook, & Co. London.
1904 built Gainsborough - 'Keystone' official No. 117570, registered London, 58 tons, 1910 for Yare & Waveney Lighter Co. Ltd. Norwich. 1915/40 for Charles A. Badcock, Iron Bridge Wharf, Blackwall, London.
1904 built Gainsborough - 'Leader' Keel, official No. 120331, registered London, 58 tons, 1910 for Yare & Waveney Lighter Co. Ltd. Norwich. 1915/40 for Charles A. Badcock, Iron Bridge Wharf, Blackwall, London.
1904 built Gainsborough - 'Gringley' Keel, official No.167061, June 1939 registered Hull, 75 tons, 1940 for Furley & Co. Ltd. Dock Side, Hull.
1907 built Gainsborough - 'Ruby' official No.125627, registered London, 41 tons, for the General Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. London.
1909 built Gainsborough - 'Larch' official No.132355, registered London, 45 tons, for the General Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. London. 1940 registered Yarmouth for Great Yarmouth Shipping Co. Ltd. 49 South Quay, Yarmouth.
1909 built Gainsborough - 'Spruce' official No.132354, registered London, 45 tons, for the General Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. London.
1910 built Gainsborough - 'Speediness' official No. 128573, registered London, 63 tons, for Charles A. Badcock, Iron Bridge Wharf, Blackwall, London.
1910 built Gainsborough - 'Ousefleet' Sloop, official No.133394, registered Hull, 61 tons, for William Cressey, Canal Side, Newport.
1910 built Gainsborough - 'Quickness' official No.128571, registered London, 63 tons, for Charles A. Babcock, Iron Bridge Wharf, Blackwall, London.
1910 built Gainsborough - 'Readiness' official No.128572, registered London, 63 tons, for Charles A. Babcock, Iron Bridge Wharf, Blackwall, London.
1912 built Gainsborough - 'Maxwell of York' official No.133397, registered Hull, 77 tons, for Cecil E. Wood, Albion Wharf, 57 Skeldergate, York. 1930/40 for T. F. Wood & Co. Ltd. York.
1912 built Gainsborough - 'Myton' Sailing Vessel, official No.167079, November 1939 registered Hull, 80 tons, 1940 for Hull Transport & Lighterage Co. Ltd. Ocean House, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull.
1915 built Gainsborough - 'Bloodstone' Keel, official No.138992, registered London. 63 tons, for the General Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. London.
Other ships built at Stockwith but shipyard unknown.
1803 built Stockwith - 'Ebor' Brig, 122 tons, owned by John Jefferson, April 1822 York to London lost son overboard. 1822 Captain Collier/J.Bennett.
1805 built Stockwith - 'Gainsborough Packet' Wooden Square Sail, official No.12814, 64 tons, 1861 for John Reed, wrecked Scarborough bound for Montrose from Sunderland with coals, 7th November 1861, 5 crew.
1913 built West Stockwith - 'Olive May' Keel, official No.133442, registered Hull, 74 tons, for Robert Saxby, West Stockwith.
Other ships registered at Gainsborough.
1841 built Rye -'Briton' Sloop, August 1854 registered Scarborough, 33 tons, 1860 registered Gainsborough, 1865/80 for William Thomas Beeson, Scarborough.
November 1833 - To the creditors of the Victory, Steam Packet, lately plying between Gainsborough and Hull. All persons who have any claims or demands upon the several proprietors of the said Packet for stores, goods, materials or other things found and provided for the use of the said Packet, during the time of her plying between Gainsburgh and Hull, are desired to deliver the particulars thereof to Mr. Walter Marsh, of Gainsburgh, or at our office, in order that the same may be forthwith examined by the said Walter Marsh, and if found correct, put into course of Liquidation. All accounts not delivered is before the first day of December next, will be disallowed. By order Codd & Heaton.