Mr. George Hill Yard, Barton.
February 1859 'Spray' Billyboy.
Mr. William Hoggard, Havenside, Waterside Road, Barton.
June 1879 'Fortuna' English Oak Keel, 57 x 15 x 7 ft, 110 tons, to the order of Messrs. John & Samuel Barraclough. For the coastal trade and another similar order for the owners.
January 1881 'Fruits of Industry' English Clinker Built Oak Keel, 90 tons, to the order of Mr. George Sweeting, of Barton. Launched by Miss Edith Chapman.
Messrs. Brown & Clapson, Waterside, Barton.
April 1877 - Launch of a Keel the ‘Jane’. George Brown Yard for Barton.
January 1880 - Launch of Yacht ‘Hercules’ by George Browns yard.
October 1886 - Launch of Lighter by George Brown and Sons Yard.
June 1890 'Star' English Oak Keel, 61 x 17 x 7 ft, 115 tons, to the order of George Hill.
June 1893 'Mystery' English Oak Keel, 61 x 16 x 7 ft, to the order of Messrs Barraclough & Oldridge.
November 1893 – ‘During the heavy and severe storm 13 keels were found to be sunk, which had their cargoes under hatches.'’
May 1895 - Keel launched for Messrs W. & B. Barraclough.
June 1897 'Active' English Oak Sloop, 61 x 15 x 8 ft, 120 tons, to the order of Captain Henry Oldridge, Hull.
1899 'Ellen' Wooden Keel, 150 tons, registered Hull. November 1902 met with disaster at Howden Dyke, after loading with sand caught the anchor of a ship whilst turning, she was beached and cargo recovered. Owned by Mr. R. Akester.
1899 'Only Son' Wooden Keel, 160 tons, registered Hull.
December 1900 - During the year 3 vessels built including 'Mafeking' Sloop 125 tons registered Hull. October 1900 fire broke out in the cabin of Mr. T. Barraclough's new sloop. She was laden with coals from Keadby. The damage, which must be considerable, was caused by the overheating of a stove.
October 1901 'Desdemona' Captain Cawkwell, in the shipyard for repairs.
November 1901 High tide and winds washed timber from shipyard.
During 1901 - They have had a busy year, they have launched two sloops, each of 125 tons burden for local owners, as well as repair work and converting ships to lighters. They have laid down two more ships for Hull owners with a carrying capacity of 170 tons.
September 1902 'Venue' Oak Sloop, 125 tons, 61 x 6 x 8 ft, to the order of George Hill & Sons, Barton.
June 1903 - 'Mystery' English Oak Keel, 61 x 16 x 7 ft, for Messrs Barraclough and Oldridge.
September 1903 'Faith' English Oak Sloop, carrys 180 tons, 72 x 18 x 8 ft, to the order of George Raper, Hull.
November 1903 High tide and winds washed timber from shipyard.
July 1904 Oak Built Lighter, 61 x 16 x 8 ft, 130 tons, on order for Messrs. Johnson & Co., Hull. With two more planned and five vessels in for repair.
1904 - 'Ellen' official No. 118841, registered Hull, 70 tons, for Frederick W. Vause, 79 Plane Street, Hull. 1915 for Frederick J. Vause, 143 Alliance Avenue, Hull.
1904 built Barton - 'Kathleen' official No. 118823 registered Hull, 56 tons, 1910 for Avenue Lighter Co. Ltd. the Avenue, Bishop Lane, Hull. 1915 /30 for John A Scott Ltd, 11 High Street, Hull.
June 1905 'Alice' English Oak Sloop, carrys 125 tons, 62 x 16 x 8 ft, to the order of Joseph Oldridge, Barton.
July 1905 Oak Built Lighter, on order for Messrs. J.M. Hamilton, Hull.
October 1905 'Nellie' English Oak Sloop, carrys 110 tons, 62 x 17 x 8 ft, to the order of G. F. Sleight, Grimsby.
October 1905 English Oak Lighter, to the order of G. F. Sleight, Grimsby.
October 1906 - 'Providence', British Oak built Lighter, 73 x 18 x 8ft, carries 180 tons, on order for Mr. C. Rapier, Hull.
November 1906 'Vigo' Oak Lighter, official No. 124734, 89 tons, 73 x 18 x 8 ft, to the order of Messrs. Lancaster & Carmichael, Hull.1910/15 for Richard Carmichael, Hull
December 1906 - Report a good year with two new 100 ton vessels launched and plenty of repair work. They have 28 staff and 3 new vessels on the stocks already.
December 1906 - During the year they built two vessels of a total of 360 tons.
November 1907 – ‘During a strong gale, on Friday night, a collision took place in the river Ouse, at Goole, resulting in an iron keel, belonging to Mr. Barraclough, of Barton, sustaining serious damage. The steamer ‘Maggie’ (Warrington), with ore from Seville, was coming up the river, when the keel, through the strong wind and tide, suddenly shot across the bows of the steamer, which crashed into her. The steamer afterwards collided with, and damaged the pier. Later the keel, which was coal laden, was docked. The steamer’s stem was slightly damaged.’
June 1908 'Mizpah' Oak Sloop, 130 tons, 61 x 16 x 8 ft, to the order of Walter Oldridge.
August 1908 'Ever Ready' British Oak Sloop, official No. 128100, registered Hull, 110 tons, 62 x 16 x 7 ft, to the order of Thomas Stamp, Barton on Humber. 1915 /1940 for William Stamp, Yucca House, Barton. Skipper Albert Windle. (Thanks Alan)
1908 have launched three ships of 360 gross tonnage, and been busy repairing wooden vessels.
1909 - 'Ellen A' Sloop, official No,128139, registered Hull, 62 tons, for Edward Arnold, Butts Road, Barton on Humber. 1920 for The Humber Lghterage Co. Ltd Victoria Flour Mills, Grimsby. 1940 for Hull & Grimsby Water Transport Co. Ltd. Crown Dry Dock, Garrison Side, Hull.
November 1910 - Oak Built Coal Lighter, 62 x 16 x 7 ft, 120 tons, on order for Mr. G.F. Sleight, Grimsby.
1912 - 'G.C.R. No.23' Keel, official No..132136, registered Grimsby, 68 tons, for the Great Central Railway Co. London. 1930/40 for London & North Eastern Railway, London.
1912 - 'G.C.R. No.24' official No. 134742, registered Grimsby, 70 tons, for the Great Central Railway Co. London. 1930/40 for London & North Eastern Railway, London.
1912 - 'G.C.R. No.26' official No. 134759, registered Grimsby, 71 tons, for the Great Central Railway Co. London. 1930/40 for London & North Eastern Railway, London.
1913 - 'G.C.R. No.27' official No. 134773, registered Grimsby, 76 tons, for the Great Central Railway Co. London. 1930/40 for London & North Eastern Railway, London.
1913 - 'G.C.R. No.28' official No. 135989, registered Grimsby, 75 tons, for the Great Central Railway Co. London. 1930/40 for London & North Eastern Railway, London.
January 1917 – ‘The late Mr. J. Barraclough, sloop owner, Barton who died on Sunday. He was one of the founders of the Hull Keel and Lighters Owners’ Association, some 35 or 40 years ago and was appointed one of the directors, a position which he maintained up to the time of his death.’
12th January 1933 The death occurred at the residence, 'Westholme', Barton on Humber of James Barraclough, J.P. who for many years has been a familiar figure in shipping and commercial circles on both sides of the Humber. Mr. Barraclough was a governing director of James Barraclough and Co. Ltd. a well known Hull Lightering, forwardin and brick manufacturing firm. He was also chairman of the Keel and Lighter Owners Mutual Insurance Society Ltd., director of the Grimsby Express Packet Co., director of W. Dealsdale & Co. Ltd., and director of the Barton Electric Supply Co. Ltd.
Messrs. Clapson & Sons, Waterside, Barton.
February 1920 - 'Fountain' (Yard No.18) Admiralty Drifter, official No. 146867, Admiralty No. 4161, 87 x 20 x 10 ft, 40 tons, 42 h.p. February 1922 sold to Grimsby Seine Fishing Co. Ltd. Wharncliffe Road, Fish Docks, Grimsby and renamed 'Whitenight' (GY88). 1940 for Harry Franklin, Ltd. Cross Street, Fish Docks, Grimsby.
1913 - 'G.C.R. No.28' official No. 135989, registered Grimsby, 75 tons, for the Great Central Railway Co. London. 1930/40 for London & North Eastern Railway, London.
July 1938 'Leo' Motor Cruiser, Twin screw Austin Triton engines, length 33 ft, to the order of J. G. Jacobs, Hull Ltd.
Mr. Thomas Waddingham, Barton.
November 1846 - 'Betsey' 90 tons, Thomas Hebblewhite of Newport Captain.
John Sleight, Shipbuilder, Waterside.
Other Ships trading with Barton.
1878 built Barton - 'Harry Sinclair' Dandy, official No.79092, registered Grimsby, 77 tons, 1880 for Robert Sinclair, Grimsby. 1890 for the Great Grimsby Ice Co. Ltd. Grimsby. 20th November 1893 wrecked at Withernsea during storm.
February 1891 - 'Hope' Sloop, 80 tons, owned by Mr. George Hill, Barton, sank on the east side of the Trent Channel Sands. She had a cargo of bricks. Other vessels have been sent to try and unload her.
July 1835 'Laurel' Steam Packet launched at North Shields for Mr. Walkden to run between Barton and North Shields.
August 1835 - To be sold by auction that well-known and substantially built boat the 'Royal Charter', now lying in the Junction Dock but lately used as a Ferry Boat between Hull and Barton, and which is offered for sale in consequence of the management of these Ferries having passed into other hands. The 'Royal Charter' has 78 feet of keel, and 18 feet of beam with 7 1/2 feet of Paddle-box. she was built by Mr. Smith of Gainsborough, and her engine (of 33 h.p.) by Messrs Overton & Sons, of Hull, expressly for these ferries. Her cabins are lofty and spacious and well adapted for the comfort and convenience of passengers, while her character as an excellent sea boat is so well established, that she maybe fairly considered to rank with the most useful vessels of her class. Further particulars may be known on application to the auctioneer or to Mr. William Parkinson, Waterside House, Barton.
1846 built Barton - 'Bessy' Sloop, official No.4767, 1847 registered Hull, 48 tons, 1861 Captain John Dudding. 1865/80 for William Hebblewhite, Newport, Brough.
June 1855 built Barton - 'Lavinia' Sloop,official No.5457, registered Hull, 33 tons, 1865 for Joseph Rudge, Hull. 1870/2 for Robert Skelton, Hull.
1858 built Barton - 'Ocean Spray' Sloop, official No.27032, registered Hull, 37 tons, Edward Chapman, Barton on Humber.
October 1865 – ‘On Wednesday morning a keel belonging to Mr. W. Oldridge, of Barton, sank at the mouth of the river Hull. The vessel had taken in a cargo of bricks at Barton to bring to Hull, ans when in the New Holland roads she sprang a leak. As there was a good breeze the captain determined to reach Hull if possible. He only just accomplished the task, for on getting within the harbour mouth the keel sank, those on board escaping in a small boat,’
1877 - 'Thomas & Florry' Dandy Rigged Smack official No. 79065, registered Grimsby, 75 tons, registered Grimsby, commanded and owned by Mr. Thomas Brown, 107 Cleethorpes Road, Grimsby.. March 1883 abandoned in storm some crew saved and vessel towed back by ‘Renard’ in damaged condition, repaired by John Trolley, boat builder Grimsby.
'Alice' Keel, Captain and owner Thomas Walker, Barton
'Olive' Keel, Captain S. Land and owner W. & B. Barraclough, Barton
'Two Brothers' Keel, Captain W. Barraclough Jnr. and owner W. & B. Barraclough, Barton
'Mary Ann' Keel, Captain J. Barraclough and owner W. & B. Barraclough, Barton
'Faith' Keel, Captain Walker.
'Sarah Ellen' Keel, Captain G. Hamilton. (1890 B. Barraclough) March 1894 sunk in the Humber during heavy seas whilst on route to Hull with burnt ore from Barton. Owners Messrs W & S Barraclough.
'Iona' Keel, Captain J. Towle.
'Elizabeth' Keel, Captain W. Barraclough.
'Farnwell' Keel, stranded near Bosom Cross, mouth of Trent and Ouse.
'Amelia Jane' Keel, Captain Barraclough, Barton.
'Skelseys No.1'' Keel, Captain W. Biggins, owners Skelseys Adamant Cement Co. Ltd, Barton
'Skelseys No.3' Keel, Captain H. Meadley, owners Skelseys Adamant Cement Co. Ltd, Barton August 1900 sunk at Skelseys jetty during gales, Captain F. Nicholson laden with 90 tons of cement from Hull.
'Skelseys No.4' Keel, Captain N. Day, owners Skelseys Adamant Cement Co. Ltd, Barton
'Triumph' Keel, Captain and owner Mr. J. Barraclough, Barton
'Charity' Keel, Captain O.Foster owner Mr. Jno. Foster, Barton
'Triune' Keel, Captain G, Fisher, owners Messrs. J & S. Barraclough, Barton
'Britania' Keel, Captain T. Aldridge, owner George Hill.
'Fortuna' Keel, owner Mr. T. Foster
1881 built Barton on Humber - 'Bee' Smack, official No.91439, registered Hull, 33 tons, 1890 for John E. Hall, Barton on Humber. 1900/15 for Thomas Stamp, Barton on Humber.
January 1898 'Sarah Ann' Keel of Barton, was run into and sunk by steamer 'Emden' from Hamburg to Goole during early morning fog.
1907 built Barton on Humber - 'United' official No.124788, registered Hull, 74 tons, for William Carmichael, 37 St. Matthews Street, Hull. 1920/40 for John H. Whitaker Ltd, Oriental Buildings, High Street, Hull.
November 1903 - On Tuesday the funeral took place of Mr. R. Richardson, of Far Ings Lane, captain of Mr. B. Barraclough's ship the 'Eva' and 'Lucy', who died from double pneumonia. Deceased leaves a widow and six children, the youngest only three weeks old. The funeral was largely attended.
June 1906 'Horace' Sloop of Barton, Captain William Thirsk, was run into and sunk by Wilson steamer 'Zero' from Hull to Copenhagen during the early morning.
August 1906 – ‘For sale, the Sloop ‘George and Sarah’ – Apply (after 4 pm) H. Oldridge, Barton on Humber.’
1910 'Lilian & May' Sloop of Hull, owned by Mr. J. Barraclough, Captain George Fisher of Barton. The vessel use to run Hull to Grimsby now running Barton to Hull with chalk.
1911 built Barton on Humber - 'Paradise' Sloop, official No.132297, registered Hull, for William Foster, Barton on Humber.
1911 built Barton on Humber - 'Rosalie Stamp' official No.132272, registered Hull, 50 tons, for William Stamp, Yucca Hous, Barton on Humber. Skipper George Newby, then in 1941, Edmund Windle. (Thanks Alan) July 1914 The tragically sudden death occured during Sunday night of Colin Horsefall, a member of the old Barrow Haven family. He was well nown in Hull being the master of Messrs Stamp's market boat 'Rosalie'. He was 35 and leaves a widow and five children.
1911 built Barton on Humber - 'Swano' Sloop, official No.132298, registered Hull, 69 tons, for Henry Oldridge, Barton on Humber.
31st January 1912 Mr. William Stamp Deceased. All persons having any claim against the estate of William Stamp, late of No.4 Finkle Lane, Barton on Humber, Joiner and Builder, deceased on the 23rd day of December 1911 are requested to send particulars thereof to Mrs Mary Ann Stamp, No.4 Finkle Lane, Barton on Humber, the executrix under the will of the deceased. And all persons indebted to the deceased at the date of his death are requested to pay the amount of their respective debts to the said Executrix forthwith. Goy, Cross and Co. Solicitors.
January 1912 'Annie' Ketch of Barton, Owned and Captained by Mr. Robert Burkill, sunk by trawler 'St. George' of Grimsby. The vessel was bound for Yarmouth with Slates.
1914 built Barton on Humber - 'Bette' Sloop, official No.136217, registered Hull, 57 tons, for John S. Dannatt, Barrow Haven.
1915 built Barton - 'Crambeck' Sloop, official no. 128887, registered Goole, 49 tons, for Frank L. Shackleton, Boothferry Road, Goole.
November 1915 'Alan' Sloop of Barton, owned by Mr. Joseph Barraclough. The vessel foundered off Ferriby Cliff during the gale. The crew Fred Smith (father), William Smith (son) and Herbert Smith (grandson).
November 1915 'Gamaliel' Schooner of Barton, owned by Ernest Barraclough has gone ashore off North Foreland whilst on a voyage from Topsham, Devon to London, laden with china clay.
March 1918 At Barton on Humber the death of Lydia, widow of the late Mr. William Stamp, proprietor of the Barton and Barrow Ferry boats in her 88th year. Interment at Barrow Cemetery, Saturday March 8th at 2.30.
January 1926 'Violet' Sloop of Barton, owned by H. Oldridge sank in the Humber after a collision with 'S.S. Kovno' of Hull. The sloop, Captain William Towle had just left Victoria Dock, Hull with a cargo of ash for Goxhill when struck amidships, crew saved.
1926 built Barton on Humber - 'Burgate' Sloop, official No.149096, registered Hull, 61 tons, 1930/40 for William Stamp Yucca House, Barton on Humber. Skipper Ernest Windle. ( Thanks Alan) November 1928 Captain Thomas Matthews was at Barton Haven when he was swept over board in a gale he held onto a fender for 20 minutes before being pulled on deck. The sloop belonging to the chemical works broke from its mooring and drifted to Paull where it was beached and filled with water.
September 1947 built Barton on Humber - 'De Aston' (GY497) Motor Seine Netter, official No.166663, registered Grimsby,120 h.p. engine, can carry 475 kits of fish, for Messrs Tom Sleight, Grimsby.
Barton-on-Humber Regatta, Fair and Sports Day.
June 1889 - This is the third annual regatta. The 'Lady Elizabeth' Captain Maltby, had been chartered to accompany the keels and there were about 300 passengers availed themselves of the opportunity of witnessing the regatta. the following are the seven keels which competed; 'Jane', Captain William Barraclough, Owner Jas. Barraclough; 'Elizabeth', Captain & Owner Jas Barraclough; 'Charity', Captain Oswell Fisher, Owner Jas. Foster; 'Olive', Captain Samuel Lane, Owner W. & B. Barraclough; 'Hope', Captain George Oldridge, Owner George Hill; 'Sarah Ellen', Captain J. Drewery, Owner W. & B. Barraclough; 'Bride', Captain W. Oldridge, Owner George Hill. The Winner was 'Jane'.
June 1890 - The fourth annual keel regatta and prizes of about £35 were offered. Seven Keels were 'Olive', Captain S. Land, Owners W.& B. Barraclough; 'Two Brothers' Captain William Barraclough jnr, Owners W.& B. Barraclough; 'Sarah Ellen' Captain B. Barraclough, Owners W.& B. Barraclough; 'Mary Ann', Captain J. Barraclough, Owners W.& B. Barraclough; 'Triune' Captain George Fisher, Owners S. & J. Barraclough; 'Skelsey No. 3' Captain S. Medley, Owners Skelsey's Cement Co. Ltd. 'Charity' Captain O. Foster, Owner J. Foster; 'Alice' Captain & Owner J. Walker, which did not start. The 'Atalanta' with a good number on board also witnessed the event. The winner was 'Charity'.
June 1891 - The fifth regatta, and the value of prizes has risen from five years ago £18 were offered and this year £45 was given. Attending was the 'Isle of Axholme' with 250 passengers including Mr. Leo Winship, the president of the regatta. The following keels entered the race; 'Alice' Captain & Owner Thomas Walker, Barton; 'Skelsey No. 3' Captain H. Meadley, Owners Skelsey's Adamant Cement Co. Ltd. Barton; 'Triumph' Captain & Owner J. Barraclough, Barton; 'Charity' Captain O. Foster, Owner Mr. Jno. Foster, Barton; 'White Coud' Captain J. Mathews, Owners Mr. J. Dannatt, Barrow; 'Triune' Captain G. Fisher, Owners Messrs J. & S. Barraclough; 'Skelsey No. 4', Captain N. Day, Owners Skelsey's Adamant Cement Co. Ltd. Barton; 'Skelsey's No. 1', Captain W. Biggins, Owners Skelsey's Adamant Cement Co. Ltd. Barton; 'Henry' Captain W. Burkill, Owner Mr. Henry Burkill, Winteringham. 'Triumph' was the winner.
June 1892 - Barton Keel Regatta. Shortly after 11 o'clock the 'Isle of Axholme' with about two hundred passengers including members of the committee monitor the race of the following keels; 'Ada' Captain T. Foster; 'Charity' Captain O. Foster; 'Skelsey No. 1' Captain W. Biggins; 'Skelsey No. 3' Captain W. Biggins; 'Harry' Captain T. Walker; 'Triumph' Captain J. Barraclough. The winner was 'Triumph'.
May 1894 - With the Paddle Steamer 'Isle of Axholme' in attendance and carrying the Regatta officials as well as passengers the keels made slow progress and the final result was 1st 'Elizabeth' (Captain W. Oldridge), 2nd 'Triumph' Captain & Owner James Barraclough), 3rd 'Charity' (Captain Oswald Foster), 4th 'Union Jack' (Captain B. Barraclough), 5th 'White Cloud' (Captain & Owner Joseph Matthews), 6th 'Name' (Captain W. Biggins), 7th 'Harry' (Captain T. Foster), 8th 'Olive' (Captain John Oldridge). A sum of £15 was offered in prizes, the programme comprising no less than 26 events of various descriptions. The entries were numerous, although confined entirely to residents of the town.
June 1895 - First Keel, 'Triumph', Captain J.B. Barraclough, silver cup value 25 guineas. Cash £4, including 10s 6d for being first round Whitton Light. Prizes in kind from Messrs Hall, Warren, Haslam, North and Tuthill, Bontoft, Osbourne, and Moore. Total value £9 2s. Second Keel, 'Faith', Captain Walker, Cash £2. Hall & Co. Warp Line. Messrs T. Stamp, Spencer, Granger, and G.H. Smith also presented prizes. Total value £4 19s 6d. Third Keel, 'Elizabeth', Captain W. Barraclough, Cash £1 15s. Messrs Hall and Cooper, Johnson and Ellerby also presented prizes, total value £3 17s 6d. Fourth Keel, 'Charity', Captain O. Foster, cash £1 15s, Hornsey and Co. and Messrs Johnson and Sendal presented prizes, total value £3 2s 6d. Fifth Keel, 'Sarah Eden', Captain G. Hamilton, Cash £1 10s, Stead & Simpson, Mr. McGaw and Mr. H. Judge presented prizes. This vessel won the ham for first under weigh, total £2 18s. Sixth Keel 'Iona', Captain J. Towle. Cash £1 5s. Messrs Cryer and Hutton also presented prizes, total value £1 18s.
June 1896 The annual keel regatta was held on Monday. Six keels entered for the race, namely, the 'Triumph', owner James Barraclough; 'Faith', John Foster; 'Iona', John Dannatt; 'Charity', Sarah Ellen; and 'Elizabeth', W. & B. Barraclough. The course was from a buoy moored off the Chemical Works, round the Lightship at Whitton, to the fisrt named buoy, a distance of 14 miles. The race was for the silver challenge cup presented by Mr. J. M. Richardson and the 'Triumph' has won the cup twice in succession, so that another win by the same ship, Captain J. Barraclough, would make the cup his own property. Mr. Mason of Doncster was judge and a good number of people accompanied the ships in the steamer 'Isle of Axholme' chartered for the purpose.
July 1897 - Barton Keel Regatta is been held on Bank Holiday Monday. It is reported that Messrs Davis and Co. of Hull and Barton Drapers, have decided to give a 10 guinea silver cup to be competed for by keel owners.
June 1901 - There was a time when Barton boasted of a keel regatta, but for the last year or two one has not been held. In place there are excellent aquatic sports and other events. Unfortunately owing to the strong wind it is not considered safe to have boat races and it was a great disappointment that this part of the programme had to be postponed.
June 1912 - This year there were nine entries of Sloops, not Keels. The course was the usual one, up the Humber, south side of Reed's Island, back by the big ship's track - a distance of about 28 miles. The starters were as follows - 'Emma' (iron) Newport, Captain Cresser; 'Lucy' (iron) Barton, Captain Simpson; 'Lily May' (iron) Barton, Captain G. Fisher; 'Phyllis' (iron) Barton, Captain Horsefall; 'Mystery' (wood) Barton, Captain Grimoldby; 'Onward' (wood), Barton, Captain J. Smith; 'Bee' (wood) Barton, Captain Lawtey; 'Rising Hope' (wood) Barton, Captain J. Parsons; 'Lily Maud' (wood) barton, Captain William Foster. The judge with a large company were aboard the 'Atlanta' which accompanied the race. At night the prizes were awarded at the Royal Vaults as follows; 'Lily Maud' Cup and five gold medals for the crew, cash £2 10s, clock presented by Mr. Harrop, Hull, bottle of whisky by Councillor Thomas Clapson. 'Emma', cash £5, Barton Ropery Co goods value £1 5s, goods value 10s 6d Mr Waistell, Hull. 'Lucy', cash £3, Barton Ropery Co. £1 5s, Mr Grainger's Pictures 5s. 'Lily May', cash £1, N. Mathers' Boots 5s 11d, opera glasses 10s 6d by Mr Bean, Hull. 'Onward' cash £3, chamber service, presented by Mr O. Wass and half a gallon of varnish by Mr J. Lunt. 'Mystery' cash £1 10s, barometer value £1 10s by Mr Sanderson, goods value 7s 6d by R. Dunstan, Keadby, and pair of pictures by Mr Walker. 'Bee' cash £1, bottle of whisky by Mr Lambert, pipe 5s by Mr Hastings. 'Phyllis' when she arrives will receive a consolation prize. the 'Bee' was awarded a box of cigars by Mr Mouncy of Ferriby Sluice for being the first Schooner ship to pass the sluice.
Barton Ferry Company.
April 1836 - The Barton Ferry Company being desirous to afford every facility to the public in crossing the Humber to and from Hull. Barton and Hassle, beg to state that on Monday the 2nd of May next they will commence making five passages per day from Hull and Barton to continue during the summer months. From Hull to Barton, 'Laurel' Steam Packet 7 a.m., 10.30 a.m. and 4 p.m. 'Ann Scarborough' 1 p.m. 6p.m. From Barton to Hull, 'Laurel' 9 a.m., 1.30 p.m. and 6 p.m. 'Ann Scarborough' 11 a.m. and 4.30 p.m. Barton to Hessle, 'Ann Scarborough' 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. 'Laurel' 12 midday. Hessle to Barton, 'Ann Scarborough', 6.30 a.m. 3.30 p.m. 'Laurel' 12.30 p.m. In addtion to this a Packet will leave Barton for Hull every Tuesday and Friday at seven a.m. for the accommodation of the fruitiers. A Tow Boat built expressly for the conveyance of carriages, horses and cattle to and from Barton and Hessle is now in use on which they are towed oer with despatch and safety at any hour of the day except at low water of the spring tides and the difficulty when the pier about to be erected is completed.
August 1836 - Mr. Lee the agent of the Barton Ferry Company, itimates that he is instructed to decrease the public accomodation by reducing the number of passages between Barton and Hull. Thr alterations will take place on Monday the 5th of September next; and the latest passage from Hull to Barton will then be four o'clock, and not six as at present, and the passage from Barton to Hull at half past four will be discontinued. After the Fruit season a further reduction will be made as it is the Company's instruction that the 'Laurel', Steam Packet be then exclusively employed in the Hull Ferry and the 'Ann Scarborough' and the Tow-boat in the Hessle Ferry. Mr. Lee states that the Ferry Committee are imperatively called upon to make these infringments on the public accomodation as their Company have refused to advance more capital pending the opposition by the Corporation; and Mr. Lee adds that it is much to be regretted that the intended new jetty and other improvements at Barton have been so long suspended and that another winter is to pass over without any additional safeguard and accomodation to the public, arising in consequence of the Hull Corporation being unable to make up their minds on the proposition submitted to them by the Barton Ferry Committee, which was in substance that the Corporation should either take the ferries into their own hands, build the Jetty at Barton, and do as much for the accommodation of the public as the present tennants are doing, or that they should discontinue their opposition and allow the Barton Ferry to make the necessary improvements and continue the management of the Ferries.
May 1837 - The Barton steam packets sail daily from Hull to Barton at seven and twelve in the morning and four in the afternoon. They sail from Barton to Hull at nine in the morning and two and half past six in the afternoon. A Packet leaves Hull every Mondy morning at a quarter past ten and Barton at eleven o'clock. The Horse Boat leaves Hull every day, two hours before high water and when the wind is contrary, half an hour earlier and returns from Barton to Hull at the time of high water. The 'Ann Scarborough' leaves Barton for Hessle every morning at six and twelve and at three in the afternoon and returns from Hessle at half past six in the morning, half passed twelve and half passed three in the afternoon. On Sundays she leaves Barton at eight in the moring and five in the afternoon, and Hessle at half past eight in the morning and half past five in the afternoon.
February 1846. Barton and Hessle Ferries in conjunction with Hull and Selby Railway. J. Clapson begs to inform Cattle Dealers, Graziers and the Public generally that he has purchased the Cattle Boat lately plying between Brough and Winteringham which is now plying on the Barton and Hessle Station. This being the narrowest part of the Humber, a safe and expeditious passage is afforded for Cattle, Carriages, Horses, Gigs etc. and the Proprietor is determined that no accomodation within his power shall be witheld that may add to the great natural advantages of this Ferry. The immense and steadyily increasing traffic proves that its advantages are fully appreciated by the Public. On or after the First of February next, the Hessle Packet will be despatched to meet the several Trains to London, Leeds, York, Sheffield etc as follows; Depart from Barton 8am, 10 am, 1.30 pm, 4.45 pm. from Hessle 9 am, 11.15 am, 2.15 pm, 6.20 pm. and on Sundays 3.30 pm, 6.20 pm.
June 1847 The 'Duncannon' Steamer which plies between Hull and Barton discovered a naked body, which later proved to be Mr. Dinsdale of Hull. Barton, Hull and Hessle Ferries.The public are respectfully informed that, on or after the first of June, the 'Duncannon' after having a thorough repair will ply during the summer months.
1909 built Ferriby Sluice - 'Guy's No. 27' official No. 128143, registered Hull, 78 tons, for Joseph Guy Ltd, London.
Barrow on Humber.
'White Cloud' Keel, Master 1891 Joshua Matthews registered Barrow. Official No. 399, 70 tons.
1909 built Barrow Haven - 'A.C.E.S. No.2' official No.132123, registered Grimsby, 77 tons, for Alick Black, Fish Docks, Grimsby.